We need the return of minions based on larger figures

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by cowscows527, Nov 11, 2006.

1. cowscows527

cowscows527 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

As much as I love minicons (theys my favorites) I wish we could return to the early style of having little guys based on a few larger figures. These include Soundwave's/Soundblaster's cassettes, and Doubledealer's engine parts (although these ones weren't available separately)

From a sale standpoint it makes sense because people will buy the smaller ones because they are cheaper, but then buy the bigger figure to match it up. Maybe now that they are releasing Soundwave in a main line (granted, it's TRU exclusive) they'll release more cassettes and possibly design newer figures to have little guys.

Anyway, post your thoughts on this.

2. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Mini-Cons are probably seen as better in the eyes of Hasbro because, so long as there's a Powerlinx port hanging around, pretty much any Mini-Con could interact with any larger figure. Plus, a couple of figures have specific ways of interacting exclusive to them and certain corresponding teams - the Cyclonus gear gimmick, Hot Shot and any clear saber (the Japanese version had a light-up hand).

Of course, with Energon and particularly Cybertron, all those interactions are far less developed, so the existence of Mini-Cons seems pointless to some.

3. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I would love to see more minions. I think it wouldbe cool.

4. Signal Lancer

Signal Lancer Brave Soldier of Justice

News Credits:
    Did the repaint, or just the yellow one?

I don't care what Hasbro does with the Mini-Cons as long as it means there are more for me to get. (Too bad I only found the first two series of Cybertron 2-packs...) Although being compatible either by gimmick or theme with larger figures always helps.

5. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Both Japanese version had the light up hand.

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm all for minions and the minicons made sense for Armada, but Energon and Cybertron really did away with the minicon interaction with the larger figures so minicons kind of became pointless unless they combined into a larger figure/weapon or transformed into a third weapon mode that didn't require a powerlinx point to use, because (even though Energon had dead PL points) the Cybertron figures (with the exception of the Armada remolds & repaints) didn't have any powerlinx points.

Personally, I think they should go back to the idea of the minicons at some point, but redesign it a little. I never did like the idea of a robot the size of a human transforming into a dinky little race car that combines with a larger figure. Now if that same figure TFed into a gun or an engine... than it looks cooler and much more integrated into the larger figure that the minicon came with. But that's just my personal opinion. To me the small vehicular modes kind of detract from the toy itself and make it harder for them to really interact with the larger figures. Now... if they were to make a minicon base say a new Fortress Maximus that was a leader class figure who's sole purpose was to be a defense base for the minicons... that would be pretty bad ass in my opinion...

My favorite from the Armada line were the Street Action Team because their alt modes actually were transportation vehicles their size & they combined into a cool looking larger robot. The Destruction Team was also cool because (if you ignored the little cockpits) they looked like construction tools and they could interact with Cyclonus similar to his minicon (who I was also quit fond of due to his "cockpit weapon mode"). Also, all the weapon teams were cool, but I fealt that they needed to loose the vehicular modes...

7. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

OHH NOOOOES! The return of Micromasters! Kidding. That would be cool. I'd like to see more combiners, myself.

8. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I love Minicons, but I think they should have handled them a little differently. I think each Minicon should have given the Bulk a special power kind of like the G1 characters had. For example, Skywarp's Minicon would give him the ability to teleport, another Minicon could have given the ability to turn invisible. Other Minicons could have boosted firepower or speed or repair by a certain percentage.

I think every Transformer from now on should have to have at least one Minicon port. Come on, would you have preferred more Minicons or Cyber Planet Keys?

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I agree that would be cool but it would be hard to integrate into a toy though. Granted, a child's imagination could compensate, but I'd think it would be more fun for them to have a missile pop out or activate some new feature on the toy. I agree the gimmicks in Armada hindered the core toy, and I do think the weapon triple changing Minicons were some of the best ones. I'd love to see some more weapon Minicons in the future because it does make a lot more sence than having a little racecar look like it's trying to hump a jet like what Laser_Optimus said. And yes I'd much rather have more minicons than the keys. The keys were a cool idea, but they're too easily lost and kinda lame after awhile.

10. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I'm all for the return of a few select minions. That is, thematically-connected smaller robots that are linked to a larger "parent" robot. That was the coolest thing about Blaster and Soundwave, that they came with their own little armies.

But I don't want to see ALL Transformers have minions. They it's just a gimmick... and I'd rather the focus remain on the original gimmick, the transformation aspect.

Minicons don't make a lot of sense to me. Actually, scratch that... they make sense from a toy perspective. It makes sense to have small, cheap toys for the kids. But they don't make sense from a storytelling perspective. I've never watched any of the Armada/Energon/Cybertron shows, so I'm not sure how they portray them... but do they turn into tiny little vehicles? Why? Are they big enough for anyone to drive? Or are they just like little transforming toys to the full-sized characters?

11. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    My view:

Minions are awesome. A lil' 'bot living on a big 'bot. Too cool. Soundwave and Tapes. Vector Prime and Roots. BB and Starscream.

Minicons are retarded. A tiny submarie stapled to the roof of a sports car? Ummm... If you say so.

12. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Oh yeah, more Minicons as weapons (targetmasters) - I should have mentioned that.

I always wanted to clarify that I'd like to see every Transformer have at lease one Minicon PORT, in a location that doesn't distract the the overall design. Silly gimicks are not necessary. I don't think the Classics should come with Minicons, but I'd like to see a port on the arm, on the back, wherever.

13. cowscows527

cowscows527 Well-Known Member

Minicon ports aren't a bad idea. They've already established Minicons as being part of the universe it makes sense to continue the trend of having them attach to larger figures. Although, I don't like needing one to fire a missle or anything.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    While I can't see a Minicon for every bot like Armada, I'd like it if larger figures had one or two minicon ports strategically placed on the alt mode and bot mode. For instance Bot mode minicon ports could just be on the forearms, like Vector Prime, and I'd be happy.

Actually Vector Primes Minicon was very well done, complete with a specific slot on the Alt mode.

15. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

Well many of them didn't: But Vector Prime, the Cybertron Defence Team, Downshift and Sideways each had a few. and the Giant Planet figures have lots of them

16. JazzLuca

JazzLuca Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly waht I think! I loved Micromasters for the little bases-city, and the only base release for the Minicons was Op. Armada's trailer. With the Giant Planet's big robots they missed an opportunity to do a revamp of the G1's giant robot-city.

And now, see the minicons in the Classic line without the peg in the normal robot, i senseless, so I hope Hasbro release update versions of Metroplex and the other giants! ^^

17. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

A Classics Metroplex or Fort Max would be as awesome as it is improbable.

18. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Somebody said it before and I thought it was a brilliant idea: to have a Reflector mini-con set where the 3 of them combine to make a camera.

19. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

minicons are ok, i like the concept, but i hate the quality, they are far too breakable for my tastes. maybe if they built them better i'd like them. more.

20. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ya beat me to it. But we can add Wing Saber to that list as well.:D 

In Armada, they were basically treated like smaller versions of their alt modes. The cars almost seemed like go-kart size. Hard to remember Energon at this point, but I think it was the same as Armada. As for Cybertron, only seven (or eight) minicons appeared in the show (Jolt, Reverb, Six Speed, Safeguard, Heavy Load, Stripmine, Drill Bit, and technically Laserbeak), and only four of which appeared on Earth. For them, it seemed they were the correct size for their vehicle mode: i.e. the car Minicons appeared to be the same size as other Earth cars. But it could just be my perception of the show.