We had some paranormal activity here last night!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shockwave 75, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

Last night when we got home from seeing Xavier in the hospital I noticed that one of the balloons from my wife's shower (a blue one with his name on it) had made it's way in front of where our slding doors are. So I moved it back to where all the other balloons are in the dining room, then sat down and started to watch some TV.

A few minutes later I noticed it moving along the ceiling towards the livingroom again, and figured that there was just some kind of draft or something moving it around. But then it reached the back wall of the living room, and turned and started moving along it towards our staircase where it stopped for a moment then went up the stairs, and turned the corner to be in front of Xavier's room.

Now here is the real creepy part: Defying all the laws of physics as they apply to a helium filled balloon, it lowered itself away from the ceiling and dipped down through the doorway and into the room, without ever touching the wall or the door jam!! My wife and I both witnessed this.

Then it travelled along the ceiling of Xavier's room and came to a stop near some of my old stuffed animals I have on top of a display case in there, including the Winnie The Pooh my Granny gave me when I was born, turned and faced the room with the "XAVIER" side of the balloon facing the room, and stopped.

A few hours later we went back upstairs into his room and noticed that the balloon had moved even closer to my stuffed animals.

Here comes the creep factor again: Just as my wife remarked how our moving around the room was making the balloon move, it stated to move accross the room again, about 5 feet or so, and came to a stop in front of the Turner/Lamont family crest I have on the wall that used to belong to my Granddad, turned and faced it, stayed there for about a minute, then turned back and went back where it had just been.

My theory, that this was either my Granny and/or my Granddad letting us know that they see Xavier.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm guessing it was weighted differently than the other balloons? It probably just got caught in some random air currents and you found meaning in the random movements. Dipping below the door frame without touching it isn't all that hard to imagine if it was bobbing along in an air current.

Either way, you should have filmed it.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Well, before the naysayers show, I have to say that's a pretty fascinating tale! Personally since it's so involved I would tend to lean toward the ghost explanation, but even if it turned out to be 'drafts' I'd still say you were getting a message all the same.

And I hope your son gets out of the hospital soon!

--Moony

4. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's freaky man. Though I'm sure there's got to be some kind of explanation for this.....I sure wouldn't know what it is.

5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd be more inclined to believe you if you had video. Still, interesting.

6. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I will have nightmares tonight. :O

7. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Just air currents. I had to do an experiment in school with the same thing. The air current moves around the door jamb and the balloon goes with it. There are air currents we can't feel on our skin because they are so weak, but can still affect items that are lighter than air, like the balloon. I agree with the above post that you should have filmed it. Would have been cool to see.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm not denying that it's a cool story, but once you started questioning the logistics of it, you should have tried to get it on video :) 

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
  10. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't forget about the other ghosts preventing the rest of the balloons from moving. :tongue: 

11. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Swamp gas.

12. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

i leaning towards air drafts...but the fact that it keep going back to certain spots is weird....

13. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

... ok i can't come up with a explaintion for this. cool story, shockwave. very cool story.

no i mean it, its a cool story.

14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MAYBE THEIR SOULS GOT TRAPPED INSIDE THE BALLOON?!?!?!

Probably because floating balloons are powered by black magics and sorcery.

15. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Spookiness! That's a cool story! :D 

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Defying the laws of physics my empirically observed rear end.

Balloons are basically magnets for static electricity, and your walls are grounded electrically, thus having a neutral charge. Charged surfaces are attracted towards neutral surfaces, but when they get too close the charge transfers and cancels out due to the grounding, cancelling out the attraction. Thus the balloon was attracted towards the wall, and momentum carried it the rest of the way.

If it wasn't statically charged, air currents also will blow around corners in a curve, not at a right angle, because that's how fluids transfer. Air in that corner is likely slightly under pressure so it can do this, just like how you see greater water pressure in the elbow bend of a pipe. Thus, if the balloon was caught along a natural convection current in the air, your ventilation system (which could be too gentle for you to otherwise observe or feel), or a temperature gradient current caused by your lights, appliances, or anything else giving off heat, it would dip below the door jamb without bumping into it, because the pressure exerted by the air current at the corner would be enough to counteract the lifting force of the balloon at that point.

It would move towards anywhere where the air current's pressure would be lessened, such as a pile of soft, porous plush toys that would diffuse said pressure gradient better than a flat, solid wall, and would stop wherever there was a "dead zone" in terms of airflow, which just may be where your family crest is.

The rest is just coincidence. If you want to believe your grandparents are looking out for your and yours, be my guest, but this balloon wasn't likely to be them showing it. I've seen balloons dip under doorjambs plenty of times, and it's not paranormal.

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    If it's your grandparents, there's no reason to be freaked. Be happy that they're still here for you, dammit.

Just don't walk around the home skimpily dressed from now on.

18. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Ghosts are not real.

19. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    static electricity. Something tells me the air had low humidity.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Balloons floating, eh?

Must be ... forces from beyond the grave.