"We don't want to be associated with war machines."

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by cheetorBWORG, Aug 3, 2009.

1. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Now, correct me if I'm wrong... but I read a while ago that this very argument is one of the reasons why GM seems to be the SOLE company providing vehicles to the movie universe, not just the fact that there's an exclusive deal.

In my opinion, car companies need to get off their high horse.

What happened to the old saying: Any news is good news, even if it is negative?

If your car is cool, no matter what faction it is associated with (and this applies to more franchises than JUST Transformers.), it will enhance the overall appeal of the media in question! It gets your brand out there, and could possibly translate into big sales!

But then again, there ARE 2 sides to the coin. The movieverse Decepticons, even though the hardcore transformers fans know what their faction is fighting for, it's very obscure to the main audience, and that maybe why car companies are reluctant to hop on board: they don't want their cars to be portrayed as mindless killing machines (what they could think the decepticons are).

I say that there needs to be a change, a change in the reason of why the Decepticons are fighting, and to REALLY sell that point. To make it well known that they are fighting for the survival of their species (despite the ulterior motive of taking over the universe).

Maybe if the opposing faction had a more sympathetic reason of waging war, it would open doors to having more of the alt modes that we want on specific characters.

Anyways, that's my little rant. It's messy, I know... but please comment and discuss.

2. -Wreckage-

-Wreckage- I'm Not An Architect

News Credits:
    What?!

3. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

"punk ass car dealerships!" I mean who gives a crap! Id be soooo happy if I had a car and it transformed and killed me! even if I am dead, Ill still have somthing to brag about when I die!

4. -Wreckage-

-Wreckage- I'm Not An Architect

News Credits:
    you have won this thread!!!

5. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

of course I have I am the ruler of the internet!

6. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

i still think that the saleen mustang is awesome as shit

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who cares about car decepticons? We already got Autobots for car, military vehicles or gtfo.

8. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    quote of the year!!! hahahaha

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    The whole "We don't want to be associated with war machines." thing is the reasoning that Volkswagen gave as to why they don't want anything to do with the TF movies. VW, as far as I know, is the only one of the car companies that was considered that we know why they turned the offer down. Other companies turned it down too, but for currently unknown reasons (at least to us). GM is the only one that would sign on, and thus they are the one's that have the exclusive deal with Paramount and Hasbro. As far as I know, Saleen is the only non-GM-owned car company that can have anything to do with the TF movies.

10. TacticalSamurai

TacticalSamurai Hunter Killer

lol like how VW was owned by Hitler...

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Now we're bitching about car companies?

And aren't you the guy that gets on his high horse against countries promoting nationalism or something along those lines?

12. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Well, it would help if the Decepticons were characterized better. .-.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Actually, I believe that statement was delivered well BEFORE the movies ever happened - back when Hasbro was trying to get licensing rights for Alternators (ie: Bumblebee). Or something to that effect.

These days, I'm sure VW (and others) would revise that statement by replacing "war machines" with "Michael Bay movies"... which would be a far more valid reason imo. :wink: 

14. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    Reminds me of how YTV didn't want the word War in a cartoon title, so they called it Beasties. It's all very silly.

15. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

You know what's disgusting? The fact that VW didn't want their car "associated with war" because there are moronic people out there who are would be like:

"Hey let's go car shopping"

"ok, but I won't get a VW car!1!11!!!one!111!!!1!"

">_>... why not?"

"Cuz they's bad robot cars in a war moovee and I ain't supportin' no war!"

:banghead: 

16. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

VW has issues because they're a GERMAN car company, partially founded by Adolph Hitler, that used to provide war vehicles to the Nazi's in WWII. They're a bit touchy about that early history, and dont really like to have it brought up. THAT is why they dont want to be associated with anything war related. They dont want to be thought of sliding back to their early roots as 'We were started by the Nazis' is fairly bad PR.

17. Primesfist

Primesfist Well-Known Member

They make good cars though :D 

18. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

I think it has to do more with national sensitivities.

Chuck

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Bingo. It's illegal to show Swastikas or give Nazi salutes in Germany for the same reason. WWII gave Germany a VERY bad name; it's only natural that VW would want to disassociate themselves from such things as far as possible. I wouldn't call it an overreaction to want to keep their products away from war as much as possible.
    Of course the VW Beetle has a far greater pedigree than a lot of people realise; it was designed by Ferdinand Porsche, who went on to make the Porsche 356 using what was basically a massively souped up Beetle with a new body shell. bits of the design were used in the Porsche 911 as well.
    As far as I'm concerned (and along with it being G1 Bumblebee) that's why the VW Bug is a legend; not because it was commissioned by a insane, syphilitic, mass-murdering Austrian with one gonad.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

VW own Audi... and an Audi got cut in two in the movie... the circle is complete, yes?