We don't need FE we need Siebenaler!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MegaHavok, Jan 28, 2012.

1. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well it's been along day and largely for two reasons

1. Americans are not used to missing out on things.

2. The toys were not getting are awesome.

Rather then focus on distribution woes I thought it would be more fun to praise the man who caused our drama by creating works of art

Eric Siebenaler
    Eric Siebenaler - Transformers Wiki

Eric was the lead designer for Transformers animated.
    He also had a hand in creating every one of the First edition Prime toys.
    He was moved to the Star Wars Brand before designs started on RID. His last design was the Vehicon

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tfwe/399009-tfwe-issue-01-may-2011-a.html#post6015945

When we talk about what went wrong with the prime mainline I blame two things: Light up gimmicks and a lack of Siebenaler. The simplification, and the gimmickry I can deal with, However, alot of the RID toys just feel clunky or poorly proportioned. They, and parts of DOTM, feel like a step back and now I understand why I am feeling this.

Though I'm sure there are still equally talented people on the team right now they have also lost a great experience and asset to the brand. I look at his body of work and I literally own all of them. Oh well,good thing I collect Star wars too :) 

2. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    Does anybody know who hasbro's new lead designer is now?

3. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Prime toys seem better engineered than say Universe Sideswipe - I never did like the legs on that thing, or the head, or the weapons, or the arms.. (you get the idea). And i'm still not that happy with Voyager Classics Prime either.

I think you just feel that way as it's an art style you don't like it's a bit like Animated even if you despise the art style it's hard to poo poo Rodimus as a piece of engineering.

There's plenty of good Prime toys bother before and after First edition; Bulkhead, Vehicon (both versions), Ratchet, Wheeljack, Poweriser Megatron, FE Optimus and so on. not to mention most of the Cyberverse toys are also pretty good too.

And some might say FE Bumblebee and Arcee and less that stellar mind so it's not easy to just say FE is always better. Perhaps the new Bumblebee might be something less likely to break.

Oh and if the guy you are lamenting about has moved to Star Wars perhaps he can make the Star Wars Transformers a bit better ?

4. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    I don't know what aspect of star wars he's working on but the new size class of is swtf are all better then the old ones

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Nor should you be.

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    He's Ok Voyager Optimus is just a bit skinny. If he'd been an Ultra or had his kibble on his back like some of the early designs I might like him a little more - I do not hate him I just feel that I'm still waiting for a better prime. perhaps he just looks a bit wimpy as I'm remembering things like RID Prime and Cybertron Prime.

Perhaps a Hasbro release of MP-10 will fill that role one day.

7. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    I don't get why we're talking about voyager classics prime, he's an old ass toy designed by Don Figueroa

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I just didn't like Classics Optimus' design in general. With some characters, I've really enjoyed the reinterpreting and updating. But Optimus didn't look or feel right to me at all. The arm kibble bugged me a lot.

Although looking back at it now, the figure kind of makes me feel nostalgic for silver painted wheels on a Voyager. Ahhhh, the good old days.

9. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    Well considering larger toys usually start design/production first and he was wave 1 Optimus is probaly and literally the first classics toy so I give him props and love for that. I want to see him update but since classics are deluxe only now it won't really help

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Man this is sad. I really am thinking of not collecting this line now. If the RiD line goes in this direction, it would blow. Hopefully a new designer can give some needed life to this.

RiD Megatron is still pretty nice though. Light gimmicks and all.

Also, just look at FE Optimus next to RiD Optimus. There is no competition. RiD is trash in this case:

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Agreed. RID's only saving grace is the real window chest.

12. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Well a fairer comparison is the in hand comparisons in other threads - there you can see the FE version has some very pale grey plastic and big red heels.

And it's easy enough to paint the RID one's forearms and a few other bits and forget about the slightly pointless gun.

The RID Voyager is a dream compared the Weaponizer one - that has so much kibble on the back end it could never carry a trailer.

It does look like they have slightly simplified the toys though - that can sometimes be a good thing and sometimes be a design failure.

13. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    a silver sharpie and a steady hand and you're on your way! that's what i do.