WB moving forward with live-action Justice League movie...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Jiggles, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

Oh, please, please, don't suck.

From Joblo.com:

"That high-pitched sound you heard this morning was a nation of fanboys collectively squealing in delight at the news, announced in Variety this morning, of a planned JUSTICE LEAGUE movie. Warner Bros. has hired writers Kiernan and Michele Mulroney to write a script that would focus on the Justice League of America. WB wouldn't confirm which heroes would be involved but Variety speculates they are not second-tier characters. How though do you secure deals with Brandon Routh and Christian Bale to star as Superman and Batman respectively? And do Bryan Singer and Christopher Nolan have any say of their vision of the characters? Not to mention the in-development WONDER WOMAN and FLASH movies. It's a complex matter but those questions apparently aren't being asked yet. Right now it's, "let's get a script and see where we stand after that." This is WB's second try at getting a superhero crossover film made after the failed BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN project. The studio brought the Mulroneys aboard after their work rewriting the MR. AND MRS. SMITH script (which also got the writing duo in tight with Brad Pitt). OK, now it's time for some feedback. Excited? Cautiously optimistic? Doubtful something of this scale could ever be pulled off?"

2. Mr. Jiggles

And here's the actual article:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117960018.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Justice prevails for Warner Bros.
    Studio eyeing DC superhero team feature
    By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK
    DC Comics super-team Justice League is heading for the bigscreen.

Michele and Kieran Mulroney

Batman may meet up with Superman on the bigscreen after all -- along with Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash and all the rest of DC Comics' biggest names.
    Warner Bros., with its major appetite for fresh franchises, is looking to make a feature based on super team the Justice League of America, hiring writing duo Kiernan and Michele Mulroney to pen the script.

It's the first major action the studio has taken on the project.

Feature film is bound to include some combination of DC's most iconic superheroes, although the studio wouldn't confirm which ones they might be. It's unlikely that the studio and DC Comics, a division of Warner, would opt to feature second-tier characters.

Since its inception in 1960, JLA has featured almost every major hero in the DC Comics universe, although the core team has largely remained the same: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter.

The heroes typically band together to fight alien menaces or groups of supervillains.

"The Justice League of America has been a perennial favorite for generations of fans, and we believe their appeal to film audiences will be as strong and diverse as the characters themselves," Warner prexy of production Jeff Robinov said in announcing the hiring of the Mulroneys.

In taking on the ambitious project, Warner faces several conundrums.

Now that the Batman and Superman film franchises have been revived, does the studio go after Christian Bale ("Batman Begins") and Brandon Routh ("Superman Returns") to star in a Justice League pic? Studio is also trying hard to bring Wonder Woman to the bigscreen.

To a large degree, casting will depend upon the story arc for the JLA feature and at what point in the superheroes' lives the plot takes place.

Warner also must deal with myriad producers working on the Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman franchises.

Studio dropped its efforts to make "Batman vs. Superman" in order to focus on relaunching "Batman" and "Superman" as individual properties, which it has done.

Filmmakers Chris Nolan ("Batman Begins") and Bryan Singer ("Superman Returns") are each on board to helm the next installments in the two respective franchises. Nolan's "The Dark Knight" is eyeing a 2008 release and the next "Superman," 2009.

The potential payoff of bringing JLA to theaters can't be ignored by Warner, which turns out more tentpoles than any other studio.

Comicbook fans have long clamored for a movie version of JLA, and word of the Warner project is certain to be a hot topic at New York Comic Con, which unspools today in Gotham.

JLA has spawned several cartoon TV series, including 1960s and '70s show "Super Friends" and current Cartoon Network skein "Justice League Unlimited" from Warner Bros. Animation.

The Mulroneys -- Kieran is the brother of thesp Dermot Mulroney -- caught the attention of studios around town with their rewrite of "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" for Fox.

Other screenplay projects include "On the Nature of Human Romantic Interaction," "Paper Man" and "Worst Case."

Kieran and Michele Mulroney are repped by Creative Artists Agency and Management 360.

(Ben Fritz contributed to this report.)

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I don't care as long as it has a decent plot and is done well

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Seems like a lot of hoops to go through.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Worth it though, if they turn out a good movie. Of course to do it properly, they HAVE to get Routh and Bale on board; 2 rebooted franchises, followed by another reboot on both, would be disastrous.

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Could be a train wreck, could be amazing.

It would be very interesting to see Bale's Batman and Routh's Superman interact

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's intriguing, to say the least. We know big star ensembles can be pulled off successfully (Ocean's 11, 12 & 13). But will WB go all the way with this? One can only hope.

8. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Anything that can burn the live action JLA TV pilot from my memory is a GOOD thing :p 

9. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This could be either really good, or really REALLY bad!

10. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

There's no point in making this if they do not get Bale and Routh in their respective roles. Also, isn't Ryan Reynolds cast as the Flash in an upcoming live project?

If they're going to do a JLA project, they need to do an origin story, obviosuly. We need to see at least the big 2 meet for the first time, and see that personality clash. If they use Martian Manhunter, then he's going to need some sort of origin as well, as most of the others are at least fairly familiar to the mass populace. Personally, I would rather see them drop Aquaman for someone a bit more interesting, but that's unlikely.

11. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Sounds like a great movie.

12. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think the risk is too great. You are taking 2 big individual movie franchises, and combining them with unproven ones. I can't imagine a story that would give these characters enough face time to win people over, or a plot big enough to warrant a movie version of JL.

A JL movie would pretty much kill Superman and Batman, much like Superman 3, or Bat nipples.

I could be wrong, as I'm just not a big fan of Justice League, but I just see too many potential problems with it.

13. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Well, the writers did a tight job on Mr. and Mrs. Smith, which was one of the more well scripted action films I've seen in a few years.

Ensemble action can be done very well. Look at the XD films (first 2). Yes, the JLA dwarfs them in scope, but if you have them go up against the LoD ,which would be easy to start off, considering we've already met Luthor, we will meet the Joker that's you're big two villains right there. Add in a few lesser knowns, and give a bit of face time to a few key league members, and they should be ok.

14. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

so anyone else think that Darkseid should be the badguy? I mean in the DCU you can't be much more of a JLA level badguy than him. Or how about a Luthor-Brainiac team-up ala JLU?

15. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    well, this obviously would be made after Nolans next Batman so...If they go that route in casting Bale for Bats and such itd only make sense to carry over Heath Ledgers Joker if hes included

Personally, it could be really tough

I think that if it doesnt connect with the recent Batman and Superman films the audience may not even see this. Why would they want to see or get to know a completely new batman/superman when they're already been exposed to 2 films of each, respectively

and then people would wonder "well do these connect to those movies? if the same actors are in it then they must"

but then what would that do to Nolan/Singers visions of their characters? wouldnt that maybe restrict them? That no matter what they come up with eventually they all band together to form the Justice League

i dunno

while id like to see it happen it does raise a few questions as far as possibly interfering with the already established franchises

plus if its not good, well, it might kill any chance for a sequel and might possibly kill the interest in future batman/superman movies

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I normally don't feel like they can just take cartoons and overlay them with actors, but in this case I feel like they could just take the three first episodes of the Justice League cartoon and transpose it to film.

There would be minor tweaks. Batman and Superman would meet for the first time. The invading Martians could be changed to Darkseid's forces, but, overall, I think it could work.

Now, which HAWT will play Wonder Woman?

17. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Meh
    Unless the guys get new modern leather type costumes and lose the briefs over pants thing I am not watching this. In other words it better be Ultimate.

18. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

This movie will never happen. Studios are always complaining about budgets and this one would have to have a gigantic budget to pay off everyone that it would need to in order to get the story, actors and effects right.

But if they got all the right people on (hello, Joss Whedon!), it could kick @$$.

19. Mr. Jiggles

[​IMG]

20. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I think the potential is there, but I think it would be a hard film to do. I would think they would need to use Bale and Routh, as it wouldn't make sense to make use another Batman and Superman as it would only confuse people.