Watchmen

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Nutcrusher, Jul 27, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it has been a few years since i have read it. but i haven't forgotten the impact it had on me.
    and if they change ONE damned thing in that movie, Alan Moore should go postal on a global level.
    change the ending? Blasphemy. Why don't we change Batman into a nutcase with a fear of heights?

if i have to demand a copy of this film in Braille and Smell-O-Vision, i will be there.

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

The question in the end is : SPOILERS: was it worth it? 3 million lives in exchange? We never know if Ozzy stoped WWIII or just delayed it. Even Mahhanttan never replied that.

3. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

Actually i think he does, Manhattan says nothing ever ends much to Ozy's confusion. Sure there was an "alien attack" that caused a huge loss of life, people will unify for a while but as things start returning to the status quo they'll return to their old ways. There's also the fact that the last panel is the newspaper employee reaching for Rorschach's journal which implicates Veidt.

Edit: I'm a decepticon now, woo! Evil shall always triumph for good is dumb.

4. General Magnus

Althought (spoilers) The Comedian got what he deserved. The guy was an ass. Kiling a defenselss woman. Some great hero you are. Rorschach is admirable, since he does not compromise ever, even if the price is too high.

5. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I remember reading it for the first time a few years ago. Its definitely slow in parts but its great once you're to the end and everything falls into place. Probably the best graphic novel i've ever read.

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best graphic novel EVAR!

I need to read it again.

7. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

At this point, I doubt he cares that much, given that he's consistently disassociated himself from every movie project based on his works, and given up his royalties to the artists. In the recent EW article he stated:

"There are things we did that could only work in a comic, and were indeed designed to show off the things that comics can do that other media can't."

Meaning: he doesn't think it should be a movie in the first place -- because even a panel-for-panel adaptation would miss the point.

It might still be a good movie. At least Snyder has a passion for the source material.

-XCN-

8. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, alan moore seems to be anti-anything that he did being made into a movie...i dont understand it, but i guess i can see how a writer wouldnt want his story muddled and fuct by hollywood...hopefully this isnt the case...

9. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Hm. Well...League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...From Hell...V for Vendetta...

Yeah, I can see why he'd be against seeing another of his books turned into a movie.

10. General Magnus

The League sucked. V however was rather good.

11. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Not when compared to the comic.

12. General Magnus

I prefer the movie. It had awesome lines.

13. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

And, when compared to the comic, how unbelievably bad was From Hell?

Man, well-researched, well-drawn, overall awesome piece into lame slasher movie? Weak.

14. General Magnus

I felt the movie cut out on some good parts the novel had. I grabbed the novel right after the movie. Perhpas if it was the reverse I would enjoy the novel better, but I still prefer the movie incarnation. He had some badass lines.

But to each it´s own.

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I see a pattern emerging...

16. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lolol 

17. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Snyder fought hard to keep the ending. It'll still be there.

Remember that Snyder's biggest hit - 300 - was rediculously loyal to the source material, and the reason he's making Watchmen is because the studio was going to make it anyway. He stepped in to stop anyone else from ****ing it up (not that he won't, but he figures at least he'll do his best to film the book).

There will be changes. There has to be, simply for length. Some things, like the Tales of the Black Freighter, will be put in supplemental DVD material. And part of Watchmen's beauty was the way it was laid out on the page, obviously something the screen can capture. However, in terms of story content, he seems to be trying hard to keep as much as he can (and already is battling the studio over length - I suspect TDK may help him in that regard).

As for Alan Moore, he doesn't care. He hates Hollywood and the studios and has signed over all his royalties to Dave Gibbons. He told his story, and has no interest in someone retelling, whether good or bad.

18. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I wonder what would it take to actually make Moore want to help or actually be positive for a adaption of his work. I can partly understand why he would be upset since Watchmen worked perfectly in comic book form and some things are going to be looked at weird by the masses that will see the film that have never read a comic. I'm sure at some point I'm going to hear somebody say, "Nite Owl looks like a gay Batman" or "WTF was with the nake blue giant??", and inevitably when the film end's "THATS IT!?!??!". I guessing some people aren't going to "get" it.

19. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I talked to Brian Azzarello about this at Wizard World and I think he put it in good perspective. (This all stemmed from me asking about 100 Bullets being made into a tv series) He said he had no real interest in being a part of it because there are a lot of chefs involved in making a movie or tv series, as opposed to just him an Risso on the book. He hoped they would follow his source material, but that is all he would say about it. Nice guy by the way if you ever get the chance to talk to him.

I understand where Moore is coming from, although I think he can be a jerk about it at times. This is a really extreme random example, but I think it will work for the situation: Most people have seen pictures of the Iwo Jima memorial, but not nearly as many have seen it up close. As many times as I have seen pictures of it, I was blown away when I saw it in person. It is something you have to see for yourself to really appreciate.

I think that is what Moore is getting at, the book is meant to be read and enjoyed in that form.

I'm still excited about the movie and can't wait for it to come out though.

20. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

It would take his cooperation, which he doesn't want to give.

It may just be because these are mostly DC properties, and he's sorely cheesed at DC for prior business dealings, and wants nothing more to do with them. Perhaps if he were allowed to adapt his own material, maybe he would do it, but I think if given the chance to do a movie, he'd make a movie, not adapt a comic. He may well be that rare creature of stubborn integrity who believes what he believes and won't be swayed no matter what.

Honestly, I can empathize with his POV. These are his works on the screen, many of them (like From Hell) he put years of work into, and someone comes along and slices it down to a 100minute flick (let's not even talk about what was done with the League!). Even if well done, he is going to have a hard time seeing anything but what wasn't included, seeing the changes and the shortcuts. When asked, he either lies, or disrespects the work of the filmmakers (who have their own difficult jobs to do, and are often fans of his work). By removing himself from the process, he can let others do what they want without much worry. He cannot comment on the film because he does not see the film. He makes it a blanket rule, so no one is slighted. And of course this all adds to his own mystique, and elevates the interest in his books...