Watchmen Trailer

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Deefuzz, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

From an interview a while back:

"According to Moore, David Hayter's script "was as close as [he] could imagine anyone getting to Watchmen." However, Moore added, "I shan't be going to see it. My book is a comic book. Not a movie, not a novel. A comic book. It's been made in a certain way, and designed to be read a certain way: in an armchair, nice and cozy next to a fire, with a steaming cup of coffee."

I'm not sure how much Hayter's script has changed since his original version (Hayter and Alex Tse are the credited screen writers), but Hayter also wrote X-Men 1&2 so he has some good comic->film credit in my book.

(also for voicing Solid Snake!) :cool: 

2. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaayter!

Someone was bound to do it

3. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ...and now I'm concerned that Watchmen won't be very good after all, since I thought X-Men 1 and 2 were bad and boring, respectively. Granted, Hayter's got better source material to work with this time, but I can't feel too confident about the writing potential of someone who penned films that disappointed me as much as the first two X-Men flicks.

At least Alan Moore seems happy with some version of the script, though. Hopefully a sign that Watchmen won't be turned into an "OMG, Bush teh suk!"-fest like V For Vendetta.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Folks completely missing the point of Alan Moore books?

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Yeah, I had a hard time not responding to that :( 

6. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

It´s not like I don´t understand their point. But hey, you have your opinion and I have mine. For movie V for Vedetta was better as a film, for some it´s a comic, fine. I have both and prefer the movie.

And if I still don´t get their points fine. It´s not like I care or anything.

7. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wanted to wait and see this trailer for the first time in the theater. But GAH! I got gypped today. Neither this NOR Terminator in front of Dark Knight. :mad  Got to see the trailers for Bolt and Clone Wars for the grillionth time, though. :rolleyes2 

Sooo, I just watched the trailer on Apple.com.

WOW. It certainly LOOKS like they're headed in very much the right direction. I'll be there!

I think I'm going to reread it sometime soon. Don't want to reread TOO close to when the movie's released -- don't want the book to keep me from enjoying the movie on its own merits.

What you're missing is a big creepy beard. You'd be able to understand if you had one.

8. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

same here. only problem would be trying to convince him to actually watch it in the end. form what i studied up on it this could be a little hard to to get this movie shorter then 2 hours, lots of stuff to be put in.

so far i am impressed and hopefully can live up to the source material. (oddly enough something i have to read).

9. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

I don't know that Moore's opinion matters much at all. He's become a bit of a cranky old git, and I think he has too many personal issues here (creating the book, problems with DC and movie studios, disappointment with the director) to really be a fair judge of the adaptation. Like many artists, Moore has a better understanding of his own work than the work of others.

As for the trailer, I have one issue with it, which I hope will be rectified - everything is in slow mo. Watchmen was done in a very clean style - you could even argue the layout was boring compared to other books. I am hoping that Snyder directs the film the same way, that he holds back on the cinematic flourishes (like slo-mo or bullet time) to give the film the more traditional, naturalistic feel that would be in keeping with the comic's tone.

10. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

Yes, but X-men was going for PG-13, this is R.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Umm, that's...nice, but I'm not sure what bearing it has on anything. A quality writer should be able to write a good script whether the film is going to be PG-13 or R; look at The Dark Knight, rated PG-13, for example. I'm not worried about this writer not being to able to get across some plot points of Watchmen because of the rating, I'm worried about him not being able to convey the point of the story, develop compelling characters and draw me into the film. Because, based on my experience with X-Men, he's shown himself to be incapable of doing so. The complexity of Watchmen is going to require a lot of skill to shift from comic to film and I'm skeptical that the guy who wrote movies as bad as X-men 1 + 2 can pull it off.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  12. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I know almost nothing about Watchmen so all this really does is make me want to see a Question film. Great looking trailer tho.

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Just finished the graphic novel. Holy shit, I did not see that one coming. And Rorschach is my new hero.

14. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yeah that's why it's such a great Graphic Novel. You never see it coming the first time you read it. Then you go back and reread it to make sure you didn't miss something.

15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Love the use of The Beginning is the End is the Beginning for the song.

Actually love The End is the Beginning is the End too.

16. Razorbeast

Razorbeast With Love and Squalor

"The world will look up and shout 'save us'. And I'll whisper: No."

When I went to see the Dark Knight I was not expecting this trailer at all!!!
    And that one line sold the entire thing to me!!!
    I've heard Watchmen is a great book, my sister adores it. So I have a very minimal knowledge of the premise but I desperately wanna see this!!!!

17. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
  18. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Havn't read the book but saw the trailer for the 1st time today before Dark Knight and holy sh*t it's freakin awesome looking.

19. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

ok, i feel a little better now i thought i was one of the only few people that never read the watchmen, even though i have heard people rave about it for years. that preview definitely made me want to see the film and read the graphic novel before the film comes out.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't get it, but it looks cool. Watchmen, eh? Cool name, dunno the source material but it wouldn't hurt to find out after seeing that.