Watchmen Trailer

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Deefuzz, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I nerdgasmed over it when I saw it online earlier.

Then it played at The Dark Knight and I nerdgasmed even more - till most of the crowd laughed their asses off afterwards. What? WHAT?

I screamed out like 20 seconds afterwards - "BOY THAT WAS REALLY HILARIOUS." I hope my sarcasm was noted

2. Snow Cat

Snow Cat Well-Known Member

I got the feeling that they're still working on that character's CGI, they have until March '09 to sort it out.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

It sure looks like Watchmen on the telivision.

But then V for Vendetta has taught me to remain ABSOLOUTELY SCEPTICAL of anything beloved until I get to the theater and watch it myself.

Shit, I think I'm about to froth about how bad V was so I need to get the fuck out of here... ADIOS!

4. Snow Cat

I'd certainly be interested to know what Alan Moore thinks of it.

Although to be fair, I bet he hasn't (and never will) watch it. And considering the hatchet jobs they've made of his work in the past, I can't really say I blame him, poor guy.

5. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

I agree with Scantron, you dont really get much of an idea of the story in that trailer but damn if it isn't sexy. It's really a trailer for us fans tho, i can't imagine most people getting excited by that. I have to disagree with Dr. Manhattan i think he looks perfect.

It's been forever since i've owned a copy anyone mind reminding me what the giant glass contraption before the logo is?

6. Snow Cat

I'd disagree, and say that the trailer's not for the fans, but the public at large who've probably not heard of Watchmen before. Hence if being a lot of style over very little substance, it's trying to sell itself as a 'straight' superhero movie. Once the public at large are drawn on that, then they can be wowed at the spectacular story that lies at the heart of it.

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, after watching the Watchmen (and TDK ) are we getting ourselves into a renaissance of comic flicks, as in, people aren't handling them with kid gloves, but using them like they were intended by the comics industry? jesus hopped up on a pogo stick, i really hope so.
    aside from a row of tweens behind me saying, "huh?", "what the hell?" and "they are knock offs of good comic book guys" (lord, don't let me punish the infidels) i enjoyed the trailer and am ready for that one.

hey, did anyone recognize the music in the trailer as being a Batman Theme song? It was the smashing pumpkins song from Batman and Robin soundtrack. i get any geek points?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  8. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

There's no way you could sell that trailer footage as a straight superhero movie, maybe just the first half. The funeral scene and all the footage from the Vietnam War and the riots drive home that it's something much deeper visually at least. Since so much of it is imagery it really relies on those of us who've read it to put it into context.

9. McBradders

Nobody would realise that was supposed to be "Vietnam" and the riots could be anything. If you don't know about Watchmen it looks like a bunch of janky ripoffs doing weird shit that has absoloutely no connection at all to anything. Hell, you could be forgiven for thinking Rorschach is a bad guy.

10. Snow Cat

Or maybe the makers of the trailer put all of that in there so that people will be curious enough to want to find out what's going on.

The main function of a trailer is, after all, to pique interest, and not to confirm what some of us already know. ;) 

11. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Sadly, this.

I think it looks great, but then I know what it is. If I didn't I really don;t know what I'd think of it...

12. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I kinda lean towards this. For the tons of people that aren't totally in the know about the whole story I don't think giving away every detail in the trailer, a little under a year before it comes out, is really the best thing to do. I guess if there is a flaw it could be seen as a bunch of random visuals with no context but at the same time I say why spell it out?

13. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Totally..blown away! :jawdropper: 

That looks very promising. (but too bad Alan Moore has disassociated himself from this movie)

14. McBradders

I'll get my girlfriend to take a look at it when she gets home and see what she says because all I can see so far is a buncha fanboys fapping off about how this is going to be the second coming of Superhero movies.

Watchmen is a massive, complex, subtle tale that's told in hundreds of pages of comic and some people still don't get it. I can't see how one movie can do what Watchmen does and still be anything like the source material.

As for the second coming of Superhero movies, I point you to X-Men, X-Men 2, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man... how soon we forget when the next shiny thing comes along.

15. Snow Cat

Hence why Moore's not interested in seeing this movie. According to him it's not meant to be cinematic, it's meant to be a comic book, and that's that.

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Honestly, I know very little about Watchmen. I know the basics of the story, the concept that these "heros" are all very human at their core and that the world they live in is a very turbulent and troubled one. But I could tell that was vietnam, and that the riots were against these "heros" and that these good guys aren't that good.

As for thinking Rorschach is a "bad guy"...well, it's not exactly that far from the truth. And blurring that line is one of the things that stands out about this story.

While I can respect the man's wishes, I just can't understand it. Movies can make an impact on people, especially if they're well written and well acted. And they also reach a far broader audience then comics. Why does it matter how the story is told as long as it's told well. Instead of completely distancing himself from his creation, why doesn't he stay directly involved to make sure it's done right. We're past the age where comic book movies were just simple action flicks, so there's no real reason to be this upset over one's work crossing over into another medium imo. But then again, I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I liked V in the movie waaaaay better than in the comics. At least it had some sort of "happy ending" and V going down like a badass, instead of being shot by some random guy. Besides I like the portrayal of freedom fighter instead of some anarcastic dude. Besides the movie had wonderfull one liners. Way better than the comic in my opinion.

I hope they change the ending of this movie into something less depressing than the comic ending.

18. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I've been looking forward to this for a while, I just read the graphic novel a few years ago but loved it. Snyder does seem to respect the source material from what I've seen from the video journals on the movie's website, Dave Gibbons seems to give his approval. Personally I think Doc Manhattan looked great, a lot better than I was hoping for. Now the waiting part is going to suck.

19. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I'm totally digging the look the trailer gives us. Can't wait to see the finished product.

20. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I've been waiting for this for so long I thought it would never happen.