watchmen one-shots

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by jorod74, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Risking blasphemy, but despite the fact that the characters in Watchmen are molded from already established characters, would one-shots or even a limited series for certain ones work?

i prefer Alan Moore did the work, outta respect.

ok. i am such a rorschach fan. i just want more, ya know?

2. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I must be the only person who thinks that Watchmen is highly over rated. I can appreciate the work and the art is awesome, but the story is way to convoluted for me. I've had the trade pretty much since it was released and try to read it every so often to see why everyone drools over it. Personally I think it just gets all the hype cause people think it's "cool" to like it.

3. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Uncounted Outlier

News Credits:
    Eh, no different from not liking something solely because you think "hype" expects you to. Not liking something simply because it doesn't do anything for you is something, not giving it a chance simply because it is popular/well received is quite another. (Note, not accusing you of that)

As for Watchmen, it's all about execution. The book used the comics medium to the maximum of its potential, imo. All of the unique advantages the medium has in storytelling and exposition were cranked to 11.

The art and story can feel to be more the result of this rather than the cause, so that may be why you have trouble getting anything out of it (from that approach).

That's of course just my take. Everyone probably has their own view of why Watchmen was such a masterpiece.

*edit* As for original topic, I'd buy new material, but I don't really feel like it needs any. :) 

4. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I guess the fashionable reply is that any change made to Watchmen, including non-Moore one-shots, would be seen as blasphemy.

In my personal opinion, however, Watchmen isn't sacred. As long as the quality is high, I'd welcome Watchmen one-shots as long as they don't go too far. For example, I think the ending of the book is perfect, and I'm not really interested in the future adventures of Nite Owl. It would be cool, however, to get some flashback issues, some new stuff on the Comedian, etc.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I hype it 'cause I think it's amazing, and I'm the last guy to buy into stuff 'cause it's what's cool. Observe me posting here on a TF message board.

The art is a little dated, yeah, but still well-done considering the limitations of the day. But it's a masterful use of the medium to tell a story that (at the time) probably couldn't have been told in any other format.

6. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not a fan of Watchmen either. I thought is was OK, but I really didn't find any of the characters likable. It's hard for me to enjoy a story if I really don't care who lives and who dies.

On topic, I might enjoy Watchmen more if there were one-shots to give the characters more depth.

7. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

This.

I also agree with Lord Of Tetris. As much as I enjoy Watchmen (one of the few things where I completely agree with the hype), I wouldn't mind prequels if done well. However, I think a sequel would sorta ruin the perfect ending.

8. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Oooh! Maybe we can get, like, Alex Ross to paint 'em! Yay!

I think it's a safe bet that Moore's done with the characters, and I kinda doubt that Dave Gibbons wants to do more with 'em, either. As a result, I have no interest at all in a "Tales of the Watchmen" series of one-shots or whatevuh. Of course, this is just me being ever so trendy...

Yep, this is also me. Boy, maybe people will think I'm nifty if I pretend to like this comic! Secretly, I just like the panel where you can see Silk Spectre's boobies!

EDIT: Okay, I'm just being a sarcastic prick. For real, though, I'm relieved that this turned out to be a speculation kinda thread, and not news of an official release.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i don't want a sequel- that would be like a sequel to Tom Sawyer ( and goes against why MT ended the book when he did)- and i don't want to ruin an epic.
    backstory, character depth, just more of a character we liked would be nice.

An Alex Ross edition of Watchmen or Watchmen spinoff sounds like a great idea for a charity fundraiser.

10. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Id get it if they got Moore to write it. Having Ross do artwork would be icing on the cake.

I finally got my replacement trade paperback of Watchmen after loosing my orignal one to wear-n-tear of 15 years of reading. Damn i had forgotten so much that it was enjoyable to read over again.

11. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I never liked the grim tones it set-as most of Allan Moore projects,I think the only exceptions of that was league of Extraordinary Gentleman.-

the art, the story and the ideas it set are fantastic. Is just that I dont like it, its like catcher in the rye I ll admit it is a great novel, but in the long run I just dont like it.

12. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno. Having had a long conversation with a buddy about Watchmen and the new movie coming out, I decided to re-read it again. I do have to say that while the story itself is amazing, it is BORING. This is definitely a comic book that relies much more heavily on actual story and plot instead of spectacle and shock-and-awe tactics that most comics use (ZOMFG, THEY KILLT SOOPERMAN/BATMAN AND HE'L NEVUR BE TEH SAIM!!!!), which is what really set it apart from other comics of the time.

I don't think that any more material is really necessary from a story standpoint, but even Alan Moore can be a whore with some of his properties now and again (League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Movie, anyone?). And even if there WAS more material, i don't think I would read it, even if it was written by Moore himself.

And thanks to Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns, DC finally realized that there was a market for more mature comic book stories, and thus Vertigo was born.

13. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I'm in agreement and like others have said, a sequel wouldn't work but I'd love a prequel, maybe some of Rorschach's and Nite Owl's earlier exploits or some of the Comedians.

14. decemberist

decemberist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If people are looking for input and more stories about certain characters, why not just go pick up back issues or trades of Blue Beetle and The Question? That way you get the stories for the characters that inspired the ones from Watchmen and the ones from Watchmen are just left alone.

15. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Not really seeing the point of more Watchmen stuff... as a comic about the medium of comics, it's complete in & of itself. Plenty of Rorschach in there, and any time I read it, he's always good :) 

And now, rambling off topic slightly , for which i apologise...

Anyone else think the film is basically pointless? I'm not anti-it, or suggesting WM is "untouchable"... I just can't see what it will add. It's not like Nolan's Batman, for example, which can take an existing but ongoing character, cherrypick the best elements from particular stories, and do something different with it. Watchmen exists with a beginning, middle & end, and what you'll see on screen, at best, will be the same as... reading the comic.

I appreciate lots of films have been adapted from novels, and the same argument can apply there (and sometimes does, in my opinion). But I think the difference is the visual language of comics, which makes films of self-contained comic stories (e.g Sin City) redundant - because, unless you've some loon like a Gilliam at the helm, you've actually already seen it.

Back on topic... good shout above by Decembrist. Interesting that WM started out as a means to use existing DC characters, but then the decision to create the Universe & keep those characters ongoing sent Moore in a different direction

16. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

True but there are some diffrences, I do have one Question TPB I picked up recently but havent read, but as far as I know The Question isn't a killer right? ANd how about Peacemaker, I"m sure he and the Comedian have some diffrences, still though I'd definitely get anything Watchmen related.