Watching Voltron: Defender of the Universe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Codimus Prime, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

So I've started to watch this on DVD. I have the Blue and Yellow Lion tins, so I'm going to subject myself to the first 30 episodes. The Green Lion is set to come out Feb. 27th of this year, so hopefully I will be caught up.

I'm kinda addicted to the show. I think the animation is wonderful, but they do make use of it. I think I've seen Haggars' cat growl about every episode. The voices are a bit funny, I hate Sven's especially.

I like the fact it took them 6 or so episodes before they piloted the lions. Even then, the first time is without the black lion b/c they don't have the key. This is something that kinda bugs me compared to the G1 Transformers cartoon. It's establishing what led them to be the Voltron Force.

Anyone else own/watch this?

2. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just have the first tin right now. I remember some of it from when I was younger but it is definitely good to watch it all now and comprehend it a little better.

I only had time to watch the first disc, but after I pick up the yellow and green lion tins I will most likely get back into it full force.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't own the sets, but I've watched the show. I agree with everything you said. I love it, but I have a feeling that I'm going to love the original GoLion even more. That's why I don't own the sets.

4. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I'm waiting for the GoLion sets.

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I have them both and watched them both. I find them "entertaining" however no where near as good as G1. It is somewhat annoying, the voices, reuse of animation, voice acting is bad. Other then that, it is kind of neat, just not as good as transformers to me.

6. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Voltron and Robotech were two shows that just didn't capture my interest at all as a kid. At the time, they seemed to me like all the other TF wannabes that were everywhere in 1984.

Obviously, now knowing quite a bit more about how those series/toylines came to be, I can see how wrong I was... but I still haven't been able to get excited about them.

7. flamepanther

If you didn't grow up with Voltron or Robotech, you should watch the original shows instead, anyway. Wholesale butchery of anime isn't something that we need anymore.

8. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

just look at my sig!

9. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

So I just remember one of the reasons why I posted this...

I wanted to ask why the pilots uniforms don't match the color of the lion they control?

Keep in mind I'm not counting Allura piloting the Black lion after Sven dies.

10. flamepanther

I always wondered that, but I've got a little bit of a theory on it that at least explains part of it. Since GoLion does seem to be somewhat inspired by sentai shows, Keith wears red because the leader always wears red. By the same token, Lance can't wear red because Keith is wearing red. Sven can't wear blue, because that's now taken by Lance. Allura wears pink because the female team member always wears pink and because Lance is still wearing blue. The remaining two members match their lions.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Was there ever an actual episode where the vehicle Voltron and the lion Voltron met up?
    I seem to remember there was, but I’m not certain if I am remembering that correctly.

I remember talking to kids in school about it, but back then a lot of things I said didn’t happen “exactly” as I said them.

12. flamepanther

There was something like this, but it was more like a TV/video movie/special than an actual episode. WEP had to have original animation made for it, since the original two shows never crossed over.

13. Mega-Prime

Mega-Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Taken from Wikipedia:

Taken from TV.com:

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info, guys.

How about the multi-armed Voltron (Gladiator Voltron?)?
    Did that ever air in the US?

15. flamepanther

Nope. We never got that show.

16. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I forgot the yellow tin was out already. I'll have to get that. I've always loved Voltron as a kid. Now it does seem a bit corny, but I still enjoy watching it. Especially the voltron formation with the music they have during it. To me that's as classic the the theme from the Superman movies. I never tire of hearing it.

On watching the blue lion tin I was wondering about something. Did any of the other proposed shows get brought over here.

17. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I liked the Vehicle Voltron when I was a kid, never really liked the one with the lions.

18. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've always wondered how many eps are there for Lion Voltron. TV.com and other anime sites give conflicting numbers....

19. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I believe there were originally 52 with another 20 ordered after the show became a succes (made just for the US with none to little GoLion footage recycled, although the eps did recycle footage within themselves).

Voltron was always my favorite as a kid (I loved TFS but I never got any TF toys for some reason) so I'm a bit dissappointed because the show doesn't have the luster that it did back then. I still love it but its not as great and my child barin rememers.

The Comic explained that they didn't have the right size suits to match up the lions/pilots colors (which always irked me too).

20. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I've been watching my Voltron episodes off and on for a few months now. While I like the series, and loved it as a kid, I just don't find it nearly as engrossing now as I used to. Its still watchable, IMO, but its missing that spark, for me anyway. I didn't realize as a kid how monotonous the episode formula could get after a while.