Watching Transformers on a *up-converter DVD Player*!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ganymede2010, Oct 17, 2007.

1. ganymede2010

ganymede2010 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, so I went out and bought an up converter (HDMI) DVD player. Walmart had one on sale for $44 so I figured I'd try it out. And to my amazement, this thing is fucking awesome. I already have an HDTV, so the upconverter brings the resolution to 1080!.

No this doesn't look as good as HD-DVD or Blue Ray. But if you already have an HDTV then I highly recommend purchasing an up converter until prices on HD-DVD come down. I threw in Transformers yesterday and it looked fucking awesomme. It's definately enough to hold me over until price on the HD-DVD players come down a bit.

And for good measure, I threw in Empire Strikes back to see if it made a difference. It made a HUGE fucking difference. I mean these movies have never looked better. Definately enough to hold me over until Starwars HD-DVD come out. But that's my 2 cents. If there's anyone on the fence about buying an upconverter. Do it, it's the best 44 bucks you'll ever spend.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HDMI is definitely the way to go.

3. kipco

kipco Cybertronian Relastate

ganymede is right. It does make a huuuggge difference. Just be careful on the cheap ones and ganymede, hold onto your receipt. I bought a cheap one and the HDMI hookup in the back of the player for lack of a better term fell out. There it was, lying on my gameroom floor. Cheap connection or something. Wal-Mart did give me a refund and I bought a more expensive one.

4. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Hard to tell if the upconversion is good or not what with all the F-bombs I had to dodge to get through this...

5. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

So read around them and dont mess with the free speach ammendment. So what exactly do these HDMI cables do..? Ive never heard of them.

~Z

6. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I know, three!

Also do these players use regular dvds or hd-dvds? if its just a regular dvd how exactly does it make it better?

7. dral

dral Member

The players only play regular DVD's and not HD or Blueray. What these players do is take the standard resolution of a DVD 480I and will bump it up to 1080I on your HD TV. It doesnt match true HD but it give great definition to your picture.

An HDMI Cable is one cable with a connector that carries the picture and sound through it where component needs separate video and audio plugs

I have a Sony 5 Disc UPconvert. You can get it on Amazon for about 100 bucks

8. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Upconverting is a smart compromise until things in the format war settle down or prices across the board come down. Congrats on you purchase.

9. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

I second this. It's the type of DVD player my father has for his HDTV. Watched the TF movie on it, and 300, both were awesome.

10. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    i have the philips HDMI DVD recorder. there really is a difference between these things and regular DVD players.

my friend has an HD-DVD players and although there is a difference between my upconvert and his HD players it's not as big as the difference between the upconvert and a regular DVD player. make sense? hahaha

11. Lennox

Lennox Wooo.

News Credits:
    Hmm. I just checked the DVD player my parents bought me last Christmas and it says HDMI on it. I don't have an HD TV, so does playing a DVD on this DVD player make any difference?

12. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I will be getting a PS3 which has an upconverter in it. Can't wait to see the difference.

As for the swearing, please keep it at a minimum.

And please leave the First Amendment talk out of this and all threads. It doesn't apply here.

13. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    PS3 upscales very nicely IMO. I haven't bothered to compare TF specifically to my bedroom TV but the difference when I watched Spiderman 2 and Pirates for the first time upscaled was huge.

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Awesome. I was worried about the PS3 DVD capabilities since the PS2 one was, well, CRAP.

15. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Big improvement over PS2. You should not be disappointed in how Transformers looks if you are using HDMI.

The first time we watched Spider-man 2 even my wife the sceptic was amazed at the detail we could see that was missing before. We never realized Aunt May was wearing a white hairnet in one scene until we watched it upscaled. That and Tobey Maguire has kinda bad skin. :lol  Those are just 2 examples, overall skin and fabric textures really become noticable. It's not blu-ray quality but a big step up from standard.

16. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I have an Onkyo HDMI upscanning DVD player and the Transformers 07 DVD looks awesome on my HDTV. Definatley a nice option over the format war...

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'm glad to hear that. I was worried it would look terrible.
    We got a HD tv, and an up-converter DVD player. I can't wait to get the DVD now.

18. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

You are smoking crack heh There is a ton more detail you can see on the HD-DVD that just isnt even there on the upconverted DVD.

The differance is HUGE. Example number one Blackouts hand when he is stealling data at soccent you can read all the labels on the panels of his hand like step off danger etc etc and each rivet is clearly visible. That is something that is all washed out on the upconverted i disc.

The idea that there isnt a big differance is like those who used to say CD players dont sound better than a tape Deck (soundwave excluded obviously)
    :) )

my two cents er.... .maybe three