Watch out for this scam......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liokaiser, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    New Credit Card Scam Snopes.com says this is true. See this site - http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp

This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want.

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it. This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA and MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from 'VISA' and I was called on Thursday from 'Master Card'.

The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by ( name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a Marketing company based in Arizona ?" When you say "No," the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues, "I will be starting a Fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1- 800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security.

You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works. The caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card." He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security Numbers' that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say, "No," the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do," and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 was charged to our card.

Long story -- short -- we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master card directly for verification of their conversation. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a " Jason Richardson of Master Card" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening.

2. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Crazy they got all that info, but I would never give someone calling me my credit card info especially when I know if it was really the company, they'd have that info already. But definatley a good heads up just in case I do get a call.

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to the wife too.

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Thanks for headups Lio...Fucking scammers...thank god for internet bank statements.

5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I hope they get caught

6. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    If they're in a different country, I doubt it. I once fell for a Paypal fraud e-mail, back when they first started doing that form of phishing. Within a day my entire checking and savings account was withdrawn by someone in Romania. Fortunately I had caught it quickly and my money was replenished within a day.

7. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I almost did too. But I realized the http:// was NOT a paypal one.

8. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

These idiots should be rounded up and beaten.

9. King Starscream

News Credits:
    The link displayed had paypal in it. I think I failed to look on the status bar on the bottom to see where it actually lead.

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Holy crap, that is a devious scam. Yikes! I will have to let my little brother know about this one.

11. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Really? Damn, these guys are good. Crap.

12. King Starscream

News Credits:
    The link in the e-mail had paypal in it. The actual link that webbrowser shows on the bottom status bar probably said something different, but I failed to pay attention to that. I do now.

13. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Wait, how did they get the actual credit card number. They need that to make the purchase, right? Or did I misread something?

14. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I got a call like that about a year ago. The guy said he was with VISA, but the whole thing seemed really strange to me. He just wasn't very professional. Eventually, he got around to where he needed to "verify my address", so I figured I'd test him really quick. I had a pair of Mariners tickets sitting on the table in front of me, so I gave him the address of 1250 First Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98134 (that's Safeco Field). When he "confirmed" that was the address on file, I just started to laugh really hard, and hung up on him.

Thanks for the info; I'll make sure my girlfriend knows about this.

15. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    That is one hell of a slick pre-texting scheme. Very subtle too. As part of my training (I work with credit cards, in collections) we were trained on that. We have all of their information and at times we have to ask them for information. Naturally, they get defensive. We say it is (usuaully) to insure their account information is current and up to date.

But, we are NOT allowed to provide the full account number, or ask for certain information. Credit cards are surely the work of evil, as they've ruined many peoples lives.

16. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Aren't scammers able to get real jobs for a change?

17. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Scamming and defrauding people pays a LOT more then a good 'ol regular job, but the benefits aren't worth crap. Then again, they do move around from job to job more often and to keep things "untraceble" get paid under the table.

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There was some study I read years ago that basically argued that crime doesn't pay any more than a regular job, and that criminals often work harder (as far as hours, etc.) than regular folks.

The appeal for a lot of career criminal types was the sense that they were special and more clever than the people they took advantage of, and that was in large part what kept 'em coming back.

19. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I was just thinking about this.... why isn't there better measures to keep theives and scammers from getting our credit card numbers? >_<

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I got scammed once. Cuaghtthe fuckers too, in a weeks time.

VISA doesn't dick around with scammers.