Watch in Day, but not at Night?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tigertrack, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I've noticed lately in the past few years, that I'm growing to like horror movies. I'm becoming a fan of Chucky, Freddie Crugar, and Jason.

Yet for some reason, I'm only comfortable watching them during the day time. Actually, I can watch pretty much most horror movies during the day. Been watching quite a few on TV with the Halloween season coming up and all the horror flicks showing.

So why is it I can watch these at home, and in the day time. But you'll never get me to watch them in the theatre, or at night? Anybody else have experience this?

2. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Horror movies are meant to be watched at night. With earphones on.

3. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Krueger you fool (Although I've also seen it spelled Kruger, but not as much).

And Nachtsider is right. Horror movies are best at night, or anytime in the dark really. I like watching mine with in pure darkness.

4. Tigertrack

Sorry for the misspelling, it appears my automatic spell checker doesn't know the difference. :( 

Perhaps it's because I haven't been interested in them when I was younger, and I'm now warming up to them? But seriously, what is it about the night that makes them scary to watch?

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

(I kid, I kid)

Seriously, it's likely because at night, with so much of the world dark and unseen, your imagination takes over and fills in the gaps, imagining that something unseen could be there, waiting to harm you. The unknows is always scariest.

6. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Some serious horror went on with that movie.

7. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Because at night you can't see them coming.

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

This isn't something a grown-ass man should be admitting. TMI, dude, TMI.

9. Tigertrack

It takes a real man to admit his fears.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I really have a hard time believing you're 36 years old, cereally.

Though I'm not afraid to watch cheesy 80s horror movies in the dark, after I watched Fright Night as a child I didn't watch another horror movie until I was thirteen.

11. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    I like to watch them when it's dark as well, doesn't have to be totally dark but it helps. I like the fact of letting my imagination run wild while I watch scary (or supposed to be scary) movies b/c I believe it helps with the experience of it. I mean, why watch Nightmare on elm street in the middle of the day when you can lay in bed at night and watch it and keep thinking that a glove with knifes on it is going to come tearing through the bed any minute or watching friday the 13th movies on a summer night with the windows open and hearing all the noises from outside....it helps add to the moment when you add these things.

You should try man, don't be afraid of the dark.....embrace it.

12. Tigertrack

Lets leave my age out of the equation. Fear is fear no matter how old/young you are.
    I'm not afraid of the cheesy 80's stuff either as they are just that. Cheesy. But the new stuff is pretty frightening.
    I think what makes horror movies today so horrible, is that their so good. The more realistic they are, the more horrifying they are. At least with the 80's stuff, you knew it was fake.
    Childs Play 1-3 was some what hard to watch at first. Used to make me afraid of dolls like it did for most people.

But when Bride of Chucky came out, I actually thought that one was pretty funny. Then the Seed Of Chucky, well I thought that was just lame. However, after enjoying the Bride of Chucky, it made me want to go back to the classics and see Chucky progress from the first film.

Maybe horror movies are more fun to watch with a group of friends then when your all alone. I don't know, or maybe I was just never into them as a kid and a teenager.

At least I'm warming up to them now. :) 
    Oh, and I kind of liked AvP, but not sure I want to see the first of either series.

Any suggestions as to what to watch with what I mentioned?

13. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    As a kid, naturally, I was deadly afraid of horror movies, mostly revolving around nonhuman horrors. Examples include Alien, Predator, Jaws, Chucky, An American Werewolf in London, and The Fly.

Being deadly afraid, naturally, I wouldn't watch most of those movies at night. But with my fears, I had to think it out.

Therefore, I tell you a tale of how I conquered most of my horror movie fears from 80's movies, and this little trick could apply for anyone in the modern age.

Which movie monsters and horrors were more realistic, and more likely in the real world?

Chucky is a doll possessed by a killer through voodoo, and American Werewolf in London happened because of "dark magic" with curses and supernatural stuff. Obviously, that's a plane of existence we can never be sure about, so I thought, hey, how often do we hear things like that happen? So that conquered my fear of those two movies.

With Alien and Predator, it was a bit tougher. These things are presented as biological creatures, things that could really exist galaxies away. But that's the main thing right there - galaxies away. Even the advanced Predators would take a while to get here. And even then, the Predators are noble people, and aren't gonna murder the innocent.

Aliens are carnivorous animals who just kill like a tiger, for food and to protect themselves, and to reproduce. Now they're a bigger hassle then Predator. But I remembered - the original Alien took place about 100 years or so into the future - way past my lifetime. Therefore, nothing to worry about.

The Fly is probably the one to be least afraid of. It already is in the sci-fi genre, and was a unique thing to happen to Brundle. Therefore, it's not like a werewolf curse or a chestburster from Alien, therefore it can't hurt me.

Hannibal Lecter was a cannibalistic killer, and didn't need to have Alien's natural weapons, the werewolf's curse, or Seth Brundle's teleporter to be a horror movie star. Cannibalism exists, and a psychopathic murderer isn't unheard of. Lecter could therefore really exist, and could seriously come out to get you if he wanted. Hannibal Lecter is probably the most plausible movie horror out of the examples listed.

Jaws is just as plausible. A shark that eats people - it has happened before, so it's realistic. But sharks are said to never really try to eat people, preferring seals or something rather then us bonebags. It's very realistic and could indeed happen.

If you're seriously afraid of a movie, think it through. Could it really happen in real life? Could you be attacked by some mutant fly, or an alien from lightyears away, or a voodoo killer doll? Think realistically, and consider what's possible and impossible.

In the end, horror movies are just movies that serve to keep you entertained, and to give you a thrill. They are just fiction.

14. Tigertrack

Great points and so true.

A lot of horror movies have "sci-fi" attached to them. Those I tend to enjoy more than the pure horror/suspense types. Take Event Horizon for example. I think that was classified as a horror/sci-fi movie and I enjoyed it immensely! I always love time-travel based movies and what not and I liked their methods of cutting through the light-speed physics by having that machine that bent gravity and putting the two "points" closer.

I guess I enjoy a few horror movies as long as it's not too realistic and too gory with ton's of blood and guts.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Same either way. It's hard for movies to scare Dran0n.

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Watch The Descent in complete darkness, all of your fears will be cured, PUSSY!

17. Tigertrack

Not afraid of the dark, just don't like watching some movies at night.

18. mrfang2

mrfang2 leader of team rejects

News Credits:
    same here dude, same here

19. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    Not saying your afraid of the dark, just don't be tentaive to watch a movie in the dark...it really adds to the experience and makes it better.

20. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Any movie about bigfoot. Especially "Abominable". It's actually not that bad ,even as far as scifi channel originals go. Fuckin' creepy Orson-Welles-looking yeti is creepy O.O

Seriously, tell me this thing does not look like Orson Welles:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]