Wasted Cgi in the movie

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by MegaHavok, Jul 20, 2009.

1. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So regardless of how much you loved or hated the movie it's hard to ignore alot of characters got screwed on screen time. Ratchet, Arcee, Sideswipe, and the constructicons all could have used more screen time in the movie. Obviously Ilm only has so much time and only so much money can be spent on Cgi in the movie. So I thought it would be fun to discuss what you would have been willing to loose regarding certain shots or character and what you would have liked to replace them.

Personally my biggest problem with the waste of cgi in the movie was all the drone type characters. The insecticon, The kitchen bots, the hatchling, all the doctors assistants, and especially ravages drone seam like utter wastes of Cgi time and modeling. All that time and effort could have been spent on completing the robot modes for hightower and overload. Also how cool would it have been if all the constructicons used in the cairo battle had been given different color schemes like rampage got. I have other ideas but I wanted to here yours

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    It was pretty much decided before they rendered polygon one that Overload and Hightower's bot modes wouldn't appear. If anything was wasted, it was design time, and even that's assuming the designers ever even intended to make designs for those bot modes.

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Devastator was the biggest error.

HEY LETS SPEND MILLIONS FINDING A COOL WAY TO RIP A PYRAMID'S TOP! HURF DURF!

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Except all those "wasteful" elements were use to advance the plot.

5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Hey, Reedman was awesome.

6. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

The 4 characters who had the most dialog in the movie were more or less crappy stereotypes ham handedly put in for cheap laughs. Wheelie (over the top stereotype), The twins (over the top stereotypes) and Jetfire (over the top stereotype). So, when you give the bulk of the dialog to a bunch of jokes it doesn't exactly make you want to take the rest of the transformers seriously, thus cheapening EVERYTHING in the movie.

7. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    Not really though. Sam's house being destroyed does absolutely nothing to help the plot in anyway. Sam was already going to college. He already knew he wasn't taking BB to school. Sam's parents were already going on vacation. Sam could have found the shard without the need for 6 or 7 new cgi models. At the very least the scene could have worked with just ejector which was already a completed Cgi Model

"Reedman" was not needed in anyway. I actually think it takes away from Ravages dramatic entrance when all he does when he gets to the base is throw up. It would have been much cooler to see Ravage blast in to the base by himself and used less Cgi then Reedmans long transformation sequence.

Their was no need for 3 separate models to be created to accomplish one thing. The doctor probing sam's brain. He could have just shoved a hand up their or something.

The insecticon model used in Cairo comes from out of nowhere. It is actually a plot hole. Who released him? Who was tracking the signal? But my issue is why not use one of the nanobots from the reedman scene then create a whole new model that does nothing.?

So yeah none of these guys do anything to advance the core plot of the story at all and could be lost easily.

8. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, this proves that the shard can still be activated (and give him the symbols needed to find the Matrix) not to mention reminding us that the energy from said shard could activate anything electronical in the ficinity(sp?). The house being damaged was also a way to let us know that Sam's Parents did in fact know about the Transformers, where we were left wondering if they did or not at the end of the last movie and that anything turned into a living Transformers is extremely dangerous, big or small. Not to mention the parents helping NEST and the government cover it up by saying that it was just an old furness(sp?) (and so Daddy can continue to be cheap). It also gives introduction to Wheelie (who I am very glad did not rhyme everything in this movie)

It's called 'INFILTRATION'! As noted in the Generation One series, Ravage is seen as one of the more clever Decepticons, knowing when to sneak around and when others are spying on you or if the situation requires stealth! I for one, believe that the little minicons that were 'thrown up' by Ravage was pretty cool when it combined into a metallic creature that can disappear when turned sideways.

Ah but could it display images of the symbols that were in Sam's brain. And if you're talking about after that, the Doctor tried opening the nose and mouth wider before using the saw. And the saw was showing that the Doctor was as menasing as Tarantulas from Beast Wars!

That was SCORPINOK! Remember he disappeared in the first movie after a part of his tail was shot off? They were back in his terrotory(sp?).

House scene: Show's more than just a 'Goodbye Sam' theme and Bumblebee's lack of restraint.

Reedman scene: Show's while the Autobots trust the humans to guard what they thought was the last piece of the Allspark, the Decepticons don't just use brute strength to get what they want, they can be quite sneaky, especially with Soundwave using one of Earth's satelites.

Doctor: Not only miniature and creepy version of Tarantulas but proof that Decepticons have medics too.

The "Insecticon": Scorpinok's return and resoloution, also helps bring Jetfire down when he suddenly showed up.

I'm pretty sure there were at least a little if not some reason for these scenes.

jD001

9. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i can agree that there were a lot of unnecessary CGI shots that could have been used for a little more main/secondary character time.

10. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    All of that could have happened without the need for so many different cgi models that is where the waste come in. The ejector toaster was already built and rendered from the mountain dew commercial. He would have been enough. You honestly would have preferred seeing the Dyson bot over Overload?

If it was infiltration it wasn't a very good kind. Ravage sets of the alarms the minute gets there. Its actually counter productive to use reedman when he could just blast his way in. For that matter why does he let the army get inside? Why doesn't he blast them before they get inside? The whole sequence doesn't make sense and could have been simplified but instead we got something that "looks cool"

I know what it did but it would have been cheaper and faster to give the doctor tools that did the same thing instead of creating another model

Um no it wasn't, I am referring to the little bug with the radar dish on his back. The one Sam rip the head off of.

For all the things it shows you still dont need a garbage disposal transformer that farts

Wasn't that shown better by alice and soundwave?

Didnt say anything about the doctor at all I am referring to his 3 minions

Again you didn't know what I was talking about
    The point is these scenes could have been streamlined with out wasted cgi and those efforts could have been put in to more traditional characters and character building scenes

11. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

Alice - Unneccesary piece of ass (if such a thing exists).
    Devy - If you are going to do him - dont just let him knock down a few bricks.
    Sideways - Could have used Barricade instead.
    Jolt - wasted with to little screentime.
    The skinny bot - ravage could have fulfilled this role.

Personally i'd much rather have seen a few F22 repaints/variants for the other seekers. I'd have kept the constructicons - but would have kept devastator for TF3. I'd have spent the CGI savings on giving the fallen more screentime, and doing more characterisation with the autobots.

12. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I think dropping the clones and protoforms might have helped condense some of the CGI in the final scene. We don't need 10+ cannon fodder Decepticons, let's have a small-yet-powerful team that gives the Autobots a run for their money.

13. montague78

montague78 For Cybertron!!

I love cannon fodder!! if anything there should have been more decepticon clones getting blown to bits. A huge war like back on Cybertron!!
    But ya it would have been nice to see more ironhide, ratchet & sideswipe!

14. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Devastator should've been formed after the Constructicons felt like they were getting their asses handed to them. That way they only have 1 group instead of a crap-ton of duplicates. The drones from the games could've been introduced to fill some roles too.

15. Lady Owl

Lady Owl Decepticon Art Slave

I was hoping they were gonna use that as a neat plot device for Sam's parents finding out about Bumblebee and Transformers. Yeah... wasted.

16. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    For fuck's sake, no it isn't.

What is with people on this board not knowing what a fucking plot hole is? How in the hell is that a plot hole?

17. MegaHavok

News Credits:
    Plot hole
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

A plot hole, or plothole, is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that goes against the flow of logic established by the story's plot. These include such things as unlikely behaviour or actions of characters, illogical or impossible events, or statements/events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.

We can debate the semantics of it or not. I personally don't care enough to as upset about it as you appear to be. For me the random appearance of a new character that has no introduction or explanation in order to keep the story going can fall in this category. If you have another word for it go ahead and share it.
    Either way it is piss poor story telling. Sam and Mikela are hiding. They have to get to Prime to continue the story. Why create a random brand new character with no explanation that forces the characters to do some thing they have to do anyways: move their asses. It's a random pointless scene added for no purpose other then to build "tension". So plot hole, plot patch, plot stopper, call it what ever you want. It still sucks

18. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Alice was a complete waste of CGI...but I can certainly live with that.

Edit: Forgot about plot moving Insecticons. Also, the flying bird bots and the slug probe were wastes.

19. Lady Owl

Lady Owl Decepticon Art Slave

I just took it as a way for them to have the Decepticons find them. As stupid as it was to have all of them all over the place and can't find two little humans in a building... as soon as Sam killed the Insecticon, they were alerted and Starscream attacked the building.

Maybe they just wanted to show the connection they share that if one is killed, they know about it instantly?

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Man, I want to see the Transformers movie you guys made!

It sounds hella awesome.
    No plotholes.
    Every single character utilized to his or her fullest potential.
    No "wasted" CGI.

What theater can I see your movie in?