Washington DC Or White Plains, NY Residents Please Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    My fiancee and I will be moving to either

1. Washington DC
    2. White Plains, NY
    3. Norton, MA
    4. New York City

by this summer. What I need to do is compile a list of good, safe, quiet neighborhoods to live in. We most likely will be moving into a condo/townhome first and then looking into buying a house, but if we do find a house right off the bat, we will definitely do that.

We're looking for more of a suburbia setting with quiet and safe neighborhoods with good schools if/when we have kids. A brand new neighborhood would be nice but not required.

The two places above that I have absolutely no idea about as far as the neighborhoods go are White Plains and DC. I've been to Norton and NYC so I know what I'm getting into with those two places.

So if you could possibly inform me of some good neighborhoods for us to look into in White Plains or DC, please help!

Thanks!

2. Razerwire

News Credits:
    *BUMP*

3. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Sweet, you'll finally be in a timezone where you'll be online when the rest of the planet is! :rock 

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

please dont tell lies :p  ...Pacific Time is the better time....sucks that you have to move to a place where you arent online with the rest of the planer :D 

as for topicwise...i'm guessing Norton, MA is the safest of all as thats the only place i havent heard of.

5. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Nova Scotia doesn't not belong with the rest of the planet. Therefore PST rules. I will miss it dearly. :p 

Oh I forgot to mention.

What neighborhoods should we avoid as well?

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah if she takes the job at Wheaton College, we're gonna be living in Norton or Attleboro most likely.

I'm trying to figure out if it's better to live in Maryland or Virginia if we end up in the DC area.

7. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Pssh. No Austin? Bah!

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    white plains!! thats near me kind of I think, is it near long island?

9. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Sorry dude, I really wish Austin was on the list. But no. :( 
    I'm not sure. All I know is White Plains is north of Manhattan.

10. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You say that like it's a good thing...

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    First off, it's pretty easy to tell that I honestly don't like the Greater Metropolitan Washington Area. It seeps into pretty much all my posts, and heck, my "location" description probably helps give it away as well. However, I will do my best to give you a relatively unbiased description of what you're getting into.

Pros:
    -Incredibly mass-marketed area. There are innumerable stores of different types in the DC area, and there's, as cliche as it sounds, "something for everyone" around here.
    -Diverse, intelligent area. Although there seems to be a strange blackhole of stupidity within the beltway, the DC area attracts incredible cultural diversity. In addition to that, so many of the folks that move into the DC area are educated and capable people. You'll be surprised who your neighbor is or what he does.
    -Lots of mass-transit options, although I don't think that'll be a big problem. Metro is pretty accessible to Northeast side of Washington - Northern Virginia, Maryland, etc. Southwest side of Washington metro isn't as helpful.
    -Booming commercial and industrial market. I remember you mentioning a degree in Commercial (restaurant?) management; I can't see you not getting hired in some managerial form around here with the multitude of middle-range and high-end restaurants, spas, etc. around here.
    -I can sell you additional TFs. :) 

Cons:
    -ATTITUDE. It's essentially this: "Welcome to the East Coast, now fuck off and get the fuck out of my way." Where the New Yorkers are, bless their hearts, a bit more direct about this, the Washingtonians hide it with a snooty smile, an aloof pretension and a make-believe kindness...but they mean it, just as well. No matter how far into the suburbs you get in the Washington area, be prepared to be cut off, yelled at, snubbed with pretension, etc. I'm not sure what everyone has to be smug about around here, but it covers the DC region like a blanket (I think it's mixed in with the pollution?) I've lived here for 10 years and I still haven't seen evidence to the contrary: Washingtonians are snobby, assholish folks.
    -Travel time. Don't be deceived by thinking that the traffic is only localized to Washington DC itself. There are 4-5 major highways which lead into and out of our nation's capital - Route 7, Interstate 66, Route 50, Route 70, and the Beltway, 495. These are, pretty much, clogged with traffic from about 8:30am to 6:45pm, even as far as 1 hour (60-80 miles) outside of Washington. This traffic, as a result, seeps all through the area during rush hour, dropping MPH on just about ANY road by 10-15 MPH. Obviously, the closer you live to the jobsite, the faster it is to get there, but be prepared to plan morning commutes accordingly.
    -Steep prices on everything. Houses start between $350k and go up to the multi-millions. Hell, my fiance and I can't find a place we want for under $400. Taxes don't help, either. The area is also geared towards the upper-middle class; everyone around here wants a lot of your money. The difference - at least to me - between the DC economic sector and the NY one is that the stores, merchanidising, etc. is spread out over a much wider region.

12. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    And we had him so isolated too :( 

13. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Awesome Ops, thanks for all that! I wasn't aware of the attitude that people had over there. I thought it was generally nice with lots of politicians. I didn't know that it was that spiteful. Sounds like LA. Yes, I'm talking about you SoCal. :p 

As far as surrounding neighborhoods, I looked at the following:

1. Rockville
    2. Laurel
    3. Hyattsville
    4. Silver Spring
    5. Aspen Hill
    6. Bethesda
    7. Arlington

I did a little research and thought Rockville/Silver Spring/Bethesda were nice and safe. Laurel and Hyattsville on the other hand weren't. Which was surprising because there was tons of nice new houses in those two cities that we were looking at online.

We're also looking at Arlington. Seems like most of the people who work for the government work out there. My fiancee will most likely be working for the FDIC or FTC if we end up in DC so I guess naturally Arlington would be a place to look.

We definitely don't want to live in the city. We'd much prefer to live in the suburbs and my fiancee will just take the Metro to work.

As far as real estate goes, we're amazed at how low housing prices are. But that's because the Bay Area is insane. :lol 

Ass! :stick: 

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Aight, as strange as this is going to sound...Maryland drivers are oddly even worse than the Northern Virginia drivers. Personal opinion, I admit, but it just seems like whatever semblance of traffic laws I see obeyed in Northern Virginia are just ignored EVEN WORSE in Maryland. Consider yourself warned.

Bethesda, Arlington, and Alexandria, VA (I suggest looking at Alexandria just because it's about the same as living in Arlington, just a smidge less dense) are, I think, the best places to check out if your girl is going to be doing government.

Also, to note - the Maryland places you listed are all pretty accessible via metro, so that's cool.

Also - and this is based on personal observation, listening to the news over the years, etc. - it seems like Montgomery county is, on average, a bit "safer" than Prince George's county. In the time I've lived here, I've heard a report about violence/crime/etc. in Prince George's County, MD, virtually every time I've looked at a TV with the news on it.

PS: You can cheat with this county map: http://www.homefinders.com/images/MapMarketArea-l.gif

Also, Cookie Lipin sold my parents our house years back; her site is www.cookiesellshomes.com. She handles a lot of the DC area; she and her staff are nice folks.

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Wonder if the drivers are worst than the DWA's here. That's Driving While Asian here. :lol 

It's even worse when it's a female Asian.

I get pissed off when I see fellow Asians not being able to drive. And there are a TON here. :lol 

I will have to look up Alexandria a little more. The real estate website I looked at didn't have much to offer there for some reason but I will definitely look into it more.

And yeah, from the research that I've done, it seems like Montgomery County is safer than Prince Georges. So in essence it's a safe bet to look at places to live west and south of DC and not north and east?

Crap, I'm late. Need to get to the airport. :lol 

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Actually, I'd say north and west. The east and south of DC is military communities, the Route 1 ghetto, the trickle-up of rednecks from the rest of Virginia that, for some strange reason, lost their way while on 95 and decided to plop down near Washington. The south and east also is, to my knowledge, higher in crime rate. The north and west is more the urban hipster upper-class living scene, but along with that comes the pretension.

It's a tradeoff, I'll admit.

17. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well it was your foolish brother who mentioned it.

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Dude, you should just say fuck it all and move to Kentucky.

19. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    That's because he secretly thinks RW's cool.

20. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think we'll have to beat it out of him at Botcon.