Customs: Washing: How?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

I've recently been tryoing to panel line everything, but there's just some that i can't do with Gundam Markers. A friend suggested using a wash, but i can't seem to find anywhere that tells me the ratio of paint to thinner. Any help?

2. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Be carefull with washing with enamels, over enamels, it could damage the base paint.

You might try using acrylics to do your washes, you can thin it with water, and if it doesnt come out right, you can wipe it off, and try again.

Plus its easier to find the correct ratio, you want it thin enough that the paint pulls itself into the lines by capillary action.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah, when washing enamels on enamels - you need to be careful how much you apply, the time it sits on the area, many things. I also let my paints dry overnight before doing a wash, letting the base coats or wherever I am applying the wash to thoroughly dry.

I mix the wash on my palette (paper) I dab a spot of paint, then dip my brush into thinner, then mix the 2 on the paper, then apply. If too thick, I apply almost straight thinner to the area I'm washing, if too thin, I will let it be and revisit with another wash once that (too) thinned area dries a few minutes.

4. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I use India Ink for panel lineing, does a great job.

5. Treadshot A1

OK, so i just thin it out a lot, and let it seep into the lines by itself? I've tried on some figures, and wrecked everyone. I just can't seem to get the ratio consistent...?

Also, i rarely (ok, never) use enamels. I generally stick to acrylics. Can't find any good enamels round here.

6. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    If your going over acrylics, try not to thin the wash with an alcohol based thinner, try water, it is less likly to effect the base coat.

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Testors website has ratios, but honestly, first time I did one, I just used the tutorial in here and had no trouble at all.

8. Treadshot A1

I've been using water, due to the economy right now. Thank for the tip, though/.

I just tried again, but only succeeded in wrecking another two figures. The main problem has been that if i panel line with black on white plastic, there's lot of black smudging on the figure. Am i just not using enough water?

I'll check the tutorial again, thanks.

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Are you letting capilary action do the work?

Also, you have to let the lines dry, then wip away any excess. You have to be careful how you wipe as this can disturb the lines you put in place.

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    The trick is to apply the wash in an area where the brush's paint won't hit parts that don't get wash or color. I use a long bristle brush because it will hold more wash, yet has a thin pointy tip.

11. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

The Ratio is entirely your choice, thinner paint=gentler wash. try the paint at near-full thickness first, if you don't like it wipe it off with some cloth, thin your paint a little, repeat.