Was there a gimmick on the Energon line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DELTAsnake, Jun 20, 2008.

1. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    I have some Armada and Cybertron toys and the line wide gimmick is very obvious on them, but I'm now looking at getting the Energon line and I don't see any key or minicon ports on the toys or anything like auto morph mentioned on the packaging. Is Energon gimmick free like the Animated line or is there something I'm missing?

2. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Powerlinxing, Energon weapons...

3. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Energon featured several line wide gimmicks: the basic assortment offered the Energon weapons, pieces of the toys that could be combined into weapons for larger toys along with the Energon stars which attached to spark crystals on each larger figure.

The Autobots featured the ability to combine. With the deluxe and mega classes, each figure could change into the upper or lower part of the body and combine with any other deluxe or mega (often with hilarious results in the cases of the megas on top with deluxes on the bottom). The Ultra and Super classes featured different combining gimmicks, the ultras featuring extra armor components, and Optimus Prime and Omega Supreme could combine into a superbot.

The Decepticons featured "hyper power", which typically involved a flip out set of projectile launchers, or an attempted third mode: like Shockblast's satallite and tank modes, or Scorponok's jet mode.

In addition, the final months of the line saw the return of 5 component combiners.

In general, the Decepticons' hyper modes were weak and for the most part, have no bearing on the toys. Most hold the Energon Decepticon toys in high regard. However, the powerlinx gimmick hurt MANY of the Autobot toys, though the ultras are generally held in high regard.

4. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    Combining, plastic weapons and missiles, not exactly the greatest gimmicks. OK Thanks.

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I kinda wish the Energon weapons were more modular in design, so you could build bigger and bigger weapons if you had enough pieces, Lego-style.

6. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Banned

Awfulness. Don't forget the awfulness.

7. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

You know? It's actually kind of pathetic.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Energon. (Quite possibly my favorite of all of the trilogy lines.)
    The Powerlinking Autobots, the Omni-Cons and their Energon weapons (which were universal, any figure in the line could use them.), the Maximus combiner teams, etc. I loved the figures and I still have a good portion of them left, but...yeah...the gimmicks actually sucked. Well, except for the Powerlinking. That was always handled well by the design team. I have to give them credit for taking Landcross and ganking his whole claim to fame (minus the combiner part)...at least they did it with style and some of those combos were really top notch.

If you overlook the gimmicks, the Autobots of the line, at least....they rocked hardcore. I don't care how goofy Prime looks, when you slap his ass into Omega Supreme and attach Wing Saber as well....yeah. That's joygasm overload.

8. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    You know, I remember when the line was first marketed.

The whole deal was that the Autobots would combine and the Decepticons would all have a 'third mode'. We all thought that meant 'triple changer'...it didn't.

9. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    energon chips and power linking.

10. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Energon and Cybertron had some great toys - it's just too bad they didn't have great cartoons to go along with the toys. Many of the toys have a G1 homages and they fit in very well with Classics.

11. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    The Japanese Cybertron (Galaxy Force) was leaps and bounds above the US voice acting debauchery. Galaxy Force is truly epic.

12. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Don't forget a lack of articulation. Energon Hot Shot and Downshift are both without knees as a result of this.

13. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I'm kinda happy the gimmicks are finally over. There were more emphasis on gimmicks instead of doing good figures.

14. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Transformers still have gimmicks, it just now we don't have gimmicks that are forced onto every toy in a line. Each figure can have their own unique gimmicks.

Oh yeah, there's also automorph.

15. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Yeah, automorph is a gimmick, but I don't see it as intrusive as cyber keys or forced combining. I think it works better cos it isn't so obvious as older gimmicks.

16. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is much better to have transforming being the line gimmick again, instead of something shoe-horned into every figure...

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    And yet, in Galaxy force Optimus Prime wonders aloud how he and Leobreaker could have combined, and stated that he had "never heard of" combining before.

You would think that the writers at least watched some of Energon.
    I wonder if Gary Chalk said "Hey, wait a minute. Last season I was ordering several of the other characters to combine."

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

< The only one that really liked Energon toys.

Having most of them combine (or powerlink) with another was pure awesome, wish they still made 2bot combiners.

Even when you had all the figs, you you still make new characters from them. It doubled the fun. I was'nt a big fan of the toy colorschemes or the show though, but the playability was great

19. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I'm normally up for an almost direct translation as possible,
    but when you're trying to shoehorn a series into being a sequel for another it seems like you'd want to change some of the lines to cover up the continuity mess.

20. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

QFT! I actually loved the Energon toys! Energon Rodimus, Prowl, Downshift, Demolisher, Starscream, Megatron, Shockblast, and even Prime are some of my favorite toys in my collection!

I dig the combining gimmick mostly. IMO the only downside of the combining was the Grimlock & Swoop combination. It was absoulutely horrible!