was the HOF event worth it.

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Hollywood Hoist, Jun 7, 2011.

?

Was the HOF event worth the $45

1. Yes it was worth it

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. No it was not worth it.

36 vote(s)
    83.7%
  1. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would like to see how many people thought the hall of fame event was worth the $45 price tag.

2. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd like to know that too...

3. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    yes, ERECTOR made it all worth it.

4. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It wasn't worth $45 and that goes double for my wife and I. While the movie looks like it is going to be fantastic, I didn't see anything out of the ordinary that would have asked for such a price tag. Maybe $20-30 at most...

5. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    I want a refund not worth it at all

6. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    just out of curiosity..what did you guys expect, the whole movie? or something else? I could have told you that we wouldent be getting the movie.

7. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I felt the same. The event was hyped up and ended up being a big let down. Didn't funpub say we would have $45 worth of stuff in the bag alone? I won't attend another hof event unless more info has been provided

8. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not so much the entire movie (that would have been unexpected, but welcomed LOL). My gripe is what did we pay $45 for exactly? In '09 we got on a bus, traveled to Paramount, got a nice buffet, autographs, concert, early clips of ROTF, back lot tour, open bar and movie posters (not those little things we got this year) and all of that was $35. It's just really hard to swallow that what was put on couldn't have been added to tha package or have been a lot cheaper. I too believeit was hyped upto be a "don't miss" kind of attraction when in actuallity I could have lived without it...:2c: 

9. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was enjoyable but not worth $45.

10. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

In retrospect, I don't think it was worth it. I plan on going to all of the HOF events no matter what they cost because I enjoy them, but I do feel like we overpaid this time.

I was hoping that the entire movie would be a surprise treat, especially when there was a rumor going around on Saturday that we would be seeing the whole film (apparently someone overhead the theater employees discussing it), but I wasn't surprised that we ended up with only a clip. That means I'll have to see the film surrounded by strangers instead of fellow fans. :cry 

I heard that the price was to cover Michael Bay's appearance fee.

11. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let's do the math... the room was pretty stuffed to the brim. If a ticket is 45 bones, you're getting at least a grand and a half per row in that theater. Excluding all the people that got in for free... we're looking at an easy 50k or more that they made off this event. That's a lot of money that FP swindled out of us. I also highly doubt that Michael Bay commandeers an appearance fee that's even a fraction more than Lindsay Lohan (10k)... so what's the other 40k going towards? Renting a theater and staff? The 3 dollar snack bag? The goodie bag full of promotional items (that could have been donated actually)?

Yeah... you guys got robbed.

12. yakko

yakko IaconHub BossMonkey

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    for $45 I expected better popcorn. It was a fun time, but like everything else that weekend, overpriced. I expected nothing less though.

13. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    I felt like I overpaid for this event but at the same time can see how it can rack up to $45. But then again, if I can turn back time, I wouldn't have paid for it. And I really really hope that we had to paid for Michael Bay to be there. It's an award for him, why do we need to paid for him to be there. And if it doesn't care, then induct someone who does. And his speech afterward made him sound like he didn't want to be there in the first place.

14. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I enjoyed the movie preview stuff, and the erector gag, but don't think it was worth a second night of events (dips into drink time!) and, the 45 bucks.

I'm more neutral about it. Cool this round cuz it's a movie year, etc, but prob wouldn't do it again.

15. yakko

yakko IaconHub BossMonkey

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    if there wasn't a movie coming out, they definitely couldn't charge $45.

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm glad I didn't go.

Something about it just didn't add up for me.

Hell, the '07 con we got a tour of the Hasbro HQ and saw the entire movie as a part of the convention. No extra cost.

17. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    It was fun, but I was doing it ALL WRONG! (Last year I fit in more)

[​IMG]

18. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream w/Powermaster Cobra Cmdr.

Michael Bay was a jerk. So we gave him the HOF award, and this was basically what he had to say:

He said he was originally NOT a fan of Transformers. He said when Spielberg called and asked him to do a Transformers movie, he hung up the phone. He went to Hasbro reluctantly. He said the Aaron Archer was "folding up toys" while someone else was talking in the pitch. He got back on the phone to Spielberg after the meeting and said "I don't know, we got this guy over here folding up toys... I don't know." But he said he IS a fan now. This coming from the man who is making millions off of these movies and his favorite characters are Mudflap and Skids. He asked someone off-stage how long he was supposed to talk.

After he was presented with the award, he made fun of it, saying that it was "not even metal, it's plastic. Well of course... it's a toy company!" Kind of a rude thing to say. He just seemed like he was not happy to be there, and we should all kiss his ass. I for one did NOT feel like he earned the award.

19. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I actually found his snarky remark funny. But that's probably just me.

Whether people like Bay or not you still have to give him credit for raising the awareness levels of Transformers to new heights with the recent movies. Who knows, without the movies, Transformers could have been phased out post-A/E/C. The Brand is doing well and part of the credit has to go to Bay and his movies.

20. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I thought his remark was quite clearly meant as a joke.

In terms of the price - it was my first Botcon so I wasn't sure what to expect. As a vague breakdown, a theatre like that near me holds 2000 people. Let's assume 1500 as a guestimate. Around 20% of the theatre looked empty, so that's 1125 people.

$45 x 1125 = $50,625

Bay's appearance fee = guess at $10k as above
    3D Masks x 1500 (had to budget for a full theatre - retail of $10, so guess at wholesale cost of $7) = $10,500
    Snackbags x 1500 (as above, guess at cost of $2.50 cos the popcorn was shite!) = $3,750
    End-of-show bags x 1500 (as above - guessing at cost again at $2.50 for all the posters, sweets etc) = $3,750

That leaves $22,625 with some majorly unknown variables. What was the cost of hiring the auditorium for the evening? Security? Did Spielberg charge a fee for doing that video? What were the man hours that went into creating the videos for each entrant and nominee - especially Erector, that would've taken AGES, considering that was all new stuff.

It might not have been so over-the-top as some people think. I'd guess when you take into account those extra variables, as well as no doubt some I've forgotten, they probably weren't that far off breaking even.