Was TFP really an 8+ TV series? (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by SteelRazorBlade, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

Maybe at my age (43), I saw TF Prime differently than some, but I found a LOT of it really disturbing for adults, not so much for kids, as I don't think they really understood a lot of what they were seeing. The part with Miko gleefully looking on while Bulkhead pulled the insides out of a Vehicon was horrible, as was just about EVERYTIME you got a scene of Megatron slowly walking towards Starscream, while Starscream cowered on the floor, and then a fade out. You KNEW what was coming, and even though, technically you could say he deserved it, I always found it disturbing.

2. Javelin

Yes and no. I think the reason most kids weren't bothered by what they were seeing was because they didn't really grasp what was going on. I know more adults that were upset by the things in that show than the kids. Remember, kids can see one cartoon figure punching another in the face and laugh, because to them it's not real, and they don't quite grasp it yet. Agree about the whole "no mangled human organs and flesh", though. I mean, look at the movies. The amount of torture and death in that is unreal, but it's "robo-gore" so therefore ok.

3. Javelin

I, personally, wouldn't call it "better", just that as an adult, I want fiction that make me feel, and think. It's one of the reasons I adore the comic MTMTE and to a lesser degree so far, Lost Light. Let's face it, most cartoons -are- for kids and are therefore less serious, and that's FINE. Kids are growing up all to damn fast in today's world, let them enjoy some simple, honest, decent fun TV shows for a while. Before life kicks them in the privates. XD

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nebokalypse

Nebokalypse Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn's call it "too dark", after I`ve seen the Takara Collection. Even if Prime had (very) dark moments... seeing a kid holding her dead dog while throwing stones at Decepticons, or seeing dozens (if not hundreds) of people actually die by the hands of the Decepticons seems a lot darker, and more unsettling to me.
    Granted the whole robot-zombie-arcs (wether it be the undead Cliffjumper, or the Energon-sucking Vehicons, or Airachnia), the Frankenstein-ish resurrection of Breakdown with Silas/Cylas, or the in-between-state of Skyquake... either event was kinda strange, and definitely more, than "we" could handle/comprehend back in the 80s (well, as far as TV-stations go ^^) ;) . well it was a lot mor mature as G1 (Season 1 & 2), Animated, and RID 1.0. It definitely had some... adult themes. There are some aspects, which are (in my opinion) not suited for children. However, I think the rating was/is justified., since (for better or worse) times have changed... "Prime" was a more adult approach, which still kept in line to get the "E"-rating, and even if we (the "older" generation" don't agree with all the justifications, we have to accept, that kids nowadays are (unfortunally) more indifferent.

5. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Animated was actually fairly mature when it wanted to be. It's one of the only cartoons that treats PTSD as a serious thing instead of a joke.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Quiet Contrary

Quiet Contrary New Member

Tumblr:
    I just started watching TFP, and I asked myself this same question after I watched the first episode. I mean, Starscream killed Cliffjumper with his bare hands less than five minutes into the very first episode. That's a little intense! There was blood and everything! I remember seeing stuff like Gundam Wing on Toonami back in the day, and they edited out the blood--I guess we've come a long way?? I'm not saying I wouldn't let a kid watch TFP, but there is kind of a lot of violence and death in this kids' cartoon! I was surprised by it.

7. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Robot blood is fine. Off memory, aliens can bleed too as long as it is not red. This is pure speculation from this point on, but the one guy who ever bleeds from a lightsaber wound is poor Ponda Baba in the Cantina. But he is an alien so it doesn't count. Damn specists. Can't name any examples but I think Doctor Who (generally considered a family show) has had alien blood. Maybe I'm just a sicko who adds that in mentally.

8. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Well, you could debate since he looks human, but he is an alien, but the Doctor actually left a blood trail in a recent episode, and even the Eleventh Doctor got a red splotch on his forehead once or twice. And that's not even mentioning how graphic the Classic Series episodes from 1963 to 1989 got.

As for other examples, Gravity Falls, a cartoon that ended recently, has had characters bleed a little, and in one episode, a bunch of animal heads mounted on walls started filling up with blood until said blood spilled all over the floor. And it was absolutely marketed at children.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    EDIT: Killed my post trying to make the video a link and not a preview. Give me a minute to summarize it.
    So to chop up my paragraph of stuff
    -Thanks for the GF link, how did I forget that
    -Classic who was wonderfully gruesome
    - Red blood in Who? So I was wrong about non red being the only thing that is fine but I'm sure there are some censored cartoon comparisons I've seen with blood colour changed to be kid friendly.
    -Batman Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker have blood, don't think the show did though. Maybe just red scratches?
    -Not going to try linking it and delete my post again, but I find what Joker did to Tim and his confrontation with Bruce afterwards darker than anything I can remember Prime doing. You can brutalize all the Vehicons you like, but you can do a lot less (physically if not mentally) to a Tim Drake and have more weight, drama and darkness.
    -What is up with the vehicons anyway? If they took less time mutilating miners and more time fighting against Megatron maybe the war wouldn't of gone on so long? But seriously, are they conscious? Just drones with nuggets of personality?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017