Was TFP really an 8+ TV series? (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by SteelRazorBlade, Mar 31, 2016.

1. SteelRazorBlade

SteelRazorBlade Well-Known Member

Now all in all the series was great and in MOST aspects, suitable for essentially all age groups. However at the same time, there are a few scenes which really make one question this, such as:

1) "Knockout's dissection table"
    2) The idea of mangled human organs and flesh being crammed into a Transformer's body (Silas-->Breakdown)
    3) Rewatch Arachnid kill Breakdown, some relatively gruesome stuff
    4) Tailgate and cliffjumper torture scenes-Arcee's personal reaction, giving us a more emotional insight into the trauma that they experienced.
    5) Rewatch Arachnid kill Silas, quite surreal, even for a kids show-"No, thank you."

If you see anything else I should add then post below :) 

2. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

It was pretty intense at times, but I think I would have watched it / not been traumatized by it too as an eight year old. Although, you never know. I remember being completely terrified by some of the classic Doctor Who episodes.

Most of the gore in TFP is "robo-gore", so humans don't have the same reaction to it as they would to an organic creature getting ripped apart, etc. On an emotional level, there were a lot of really intense / sad / disturbing scenes, but I don't think they were really any worse than I saw in X-Men the Animated Series as a kid (which I loved). I'll never forget claustrophobic Storm being shut in a small metal cabinet for days after trying to stage a mutant revolt (they were being enslaved to build a dam), to the extent that she started hallucinating that it was snowing.

I don't think I would have been disturbed by Silas getting tortured / dying, as a kid. The torture was offscreen and the death was the "closes his eyes and he's dead" kind of thing, not really gruesome. Like Scar getting torn apart by hyenas, I would have felt he had it coming.

For me personally, the most disturbing scene in TFP was MECH taking Breakdown's optic. I still don't watch that scene, to be honest.

3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

The series weren't any more drastic than, let's say, Marvel G1 run (which had such lovely details like punching straight through someone's chest or tearing limbs off).

Amount of crap you can get past the radar because it's done to robots can be astonishing.

4. SteelRazorBlade

SteelRazorBlade Well-Known Member

very true

5. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

Why is there some sort of idea that shows being more mature is a sign of goodness?

I'm also going to say that isolated incidents in a TV show should not be the indicator for the overall atmosphere of a show, simply examples.

6. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think that kids are not afraid of Gore by default, and it's probably more the implications of the scenes that would actually affect someone.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I would definitely say yes.

It was created with an older audience in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM Geek Jesus

News Credits:
    Google+:
    I would say that it's 10 or 11+

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tesla Sheepdog

Tesla Sheepdog Well-Known Member

When I was watching TV back in the 90s, a cartoon like Transformers Prime would have been shown on Toonami. There were some series that had drama and such but things were different. Around the mid 2000s it changed. Reruns of some of my favorite shows now have certain things cut out to make it more kid friendly.

Though I remember watching Land before Time and other old school animated movies and series and not being bothered by certain things.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blazedriver

Blazedriver Well-Known Member

mangled human organs and flesh lol

11. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw Batman Returns around that age, presumably along a bunch of other kids and I'd say the Penguin is worse than most/all of that stuff.

Plus Robo Gore < Actual Gore.
    You chop up a bunch of people like that and you don't get a silly episode of a saturday morning cartoon.
    [​IMG]

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    *cough*

They didn't show anything, though. The implication is there, but there was no "mangled human organs and flesh."

It's not really that gruesome. Beast Wars did worse for comedic effect.

Yeah, but nothing explicit was shown. Plus, like the above, you can get away with a lot because they're "just robots."

Again, nothing really too graphic for kids.

Kids deserve more credit than you give them. They should be exposed to more mature story elements as they grow up, that's how they learn and develope.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Yeah remember when Bulkhead gutted that Steve and tried to get Miko to turn away but Miko was like "cool"? Relevant to this thread I suppose :lol 

14. AirjitzuRonin

AirjitzuRonin Member of the Bee Team

I remember how much me and my brother loved TFP. We would get our dad to watch as he loves Transformers. Our mom would come and watch too and was shocked by Megs killing Dreadwing, but me, my brother, and dad were okay with it.

Try to remember, 8 yr old kids who see robots dying will be able to differentiate robots from humans. When I was 8, the death that occured in TF death was more emotional than gory. Beast Wars has worse than Prime.

I think a better focus would be on the dark atmosphere surrounding the series. Many events were so dark and Raf being infected by Dark Energon is something most series would avoid. Unicron's arrival in Darkness Rising would make my 8 yr old self stay up for a whole week. However, the series still manages to balance dark and light. Beast Hunters and Predacons Rising (minus Thirst and Deadlock), aren't that dark.

I would say, it's too dark for some kids but others would like it. However, I do feel an older audience was in mind.

Being dark shouldn't make a series the best though. Unrelated but just saying.

15. PPProductions

PPProductions Autobrat

...yes

16. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I love how intense Transformers: Prime was. Most of the episodes kept me on the edge of my seat. Predacons Rising was just too awesome. Perfect finale.

I really don't get why creators now see it necessary to simplify things too much.
    Transformers: Prime -> Robots In Disguise
    Teen Titans -> Teen Titans Go
    Ben 10 -> Whatever the hell it is now.

Rescue Bots is for pre-school. Robots In Disguise need not be another over-simplified series. However, RID is getting a bit serious in tone. It was noticeable with the "Starscream arc".

I really miss the action on Transformers: Prime. There were proper robo fights in there. Creators did not hesitate to kill off characters. There was too much influence from the live action movies but that's ok. May be it is too much for 7+ but kids nowadays accept mature tones, it's the parents who don't.

RID is lot of fun. There are some genuine jokes in there. I found myself crying with laughter during the first season. But, the seriousness is gone. There's no real sense of threat. Villain-of-the-day isn't for me. But then again TFP had mcguffin-of-the-day.

17. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

I think TFP got too dark for its own good at times. Hell, I was often surprised it was rated TV-Y7 instead of TV-PG. Thankfully, Prime did have a pretty solid sense of humor to lighten the mood...

18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Not only was everything perfectly suitable for an 8 year old (there are much worse things in Star Wars movies than anything you listed for TFP), but I would go further and say there wasn't much in TFP suitable for people much older than 8 years old. It was a fairly solid kids show, made for and aimed at kids. Like every Transformers cartoon so far. Calling it "all ages" is really us making excuses for ourselves.

19. PPProductions

PPProductions Autobrat

:/

20. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

It was serious and more mature in its tone, but I don't think there was anything too bad for kids. There was violence, yes, but there was also a good balance of humor and strong messages, so I don't think it's inappropriate for kids. I guess it could be a little intense for some viewers, but there's nothing that's going to badly influence kids watching the show.