Was Takara ReIssue Collection Officially Finished?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Numlock, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Numlock

Numlock Starving Artist

Hey TFW, simple question... does anyone know if the Takara Transformers Re-Issue Collection "officially" concluded with #21 Blaster from 2006?

I'm assuming it did, being that after the Takara/Tomy merger the "Encore" Re-Issue series started... it probably doesn't make too much sense to run two identical lines at the same time... but then Encore got figures no Re-Issue line ever had before... anyway, I'm just curious if we ever heard the definitive word if TFC is on hiatus while Encore runs, or if Encore is the new TFC and that's that.

Search feature didn't get me good results, sorry if this was asked a dozen times... "takara" "collection" "reissue" got dozens of hits but no thread title looked blatent enough to be this question.

Thanks!

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I know Blaster was the last one, but I don't know if that was official or if the line just died. I'd guess it's dead, with Encore taking its place.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Well, Takara didn't send out a letter to fan sites declaring that the line would officially end after TFC-21.

The line just died down. Like Binaltech did.

And Encore appears to have replaced it.

4. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

I'm glad Encore includes new figs that weren't done through TFC. I don't know if I'd be buying any transformers the first half of this year if it weren't for Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme.

Forgot to mention eHobby Ironhide, too.

5. Numlock

Numlock Starving Artist

Hey thanks, so my question was kinda answered from the start... nothing was ever "officially" said. I was thinking maybe something was when Encore came out in 2007 and that I missed the explanation....

I'll accept my guess then as the answer.

Spring 2006 was when #21 Blaster arrived at my doorstep... Wikipedia states March '06 as the Takara/Tomy merger... so TFC must've died then, Blaster was the last hurrah Takara got out the door...

Takara/Tomy starts Encore in '07 to get in on those re-issue profits the uber-popular Takara molds bring in, and somehow/someway gets the license and molding for SkyLynx and Omega Supreme that Takara was never able to get before, for reasons unknown.

The end really, Encore continues and there library of future molds and licences is unknown... it does not appear Takara/Tomy wants to pick up TFC in the same kinda way IDW doesn't want to finish the DW franchises even though they do have the rights to do so....

And we did "kinda" get an "official word" on Alternators/BT by the way at BotCon... "indefinite hiatus" while the GMC Exclusive contract for the '07 Movie is in effect and the Movie Product is on the shelves. It may/may not get revisited but not in the foreseeable pipeline... which I'd guess is Movie Product/Animated/Sequel Movie Product with Class-verse in the background.

That'll do for me. Questions asked, and Destroyed by Answers. Thanks.

6. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Encore has officially taken its place. It is a less ambitious, lower-cost series of reissues of more popular characters (and Sky Lynx) in G1-styled packaging.

7. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

:lol 

8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's no mystery about the Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme molds being suddenly available. TOMY had acquired the company that owned them at some point in the past, so when Takara-TOMY was formed, Takara discovered those molds listed in a catalog of TOMY properties. Hence why they are availabe now, but not before.

9. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

I never thought of it that way- I thought some licensing deal was made recently, but this explanation makes a great deal of sense- Tomy was obviously interested in expanding its portfolio of brands, and the merger with Takara was the element in making reissues of these molds occur.

10. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

Is Shockwave now in TakTomy's arsenal of molds? I know its been mentioned before, I just couldn't remember what molds came along with the merger or other buyouts.

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Shockwave was by Toyco, a Korean company.

It was also the only non-Takara mold Takara released during G1, so who knows.

12. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

What exactly happens when these companies go out of business? It can't be that their IP just "dies" with them or is forever locked in limbo. I suppose... if a company completely dies... then wouldn't it just be a cinch to copy their molds/IP? I mean, who the hell is gonna sue you or Takara? The company is dead.

Of course, I don't know anything about this. I wonder if anyone can come up with a similar example, even if its not in the toy related field.

13. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

What makes it a "lower-cost series?" Or "less ambitious" for that matter?
    Sure, it's released Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, and Meister again, but they've also released Ratchet and Ironhide, which TFC never did, not to mention Omega and Sky Lynx. That doesn't seem 'less ambitious' to me.

14. Mr.Sci-Fi

Mr.Sci-Fi Bite my shiny Metal (_l_)

News Credits:
    ^ I think he mostly means the packaging and the extra little things like the pages you could tear out. All in all those things cost very very little to throw in. I think takara/tomy probably switched back to the oldschool boxes to market them better to people who would be coming back into g1 toys caused by the movie's release. It also provided the already rabid fan base another excuse to buy another set of the same molds again with ittle changes.

15. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    I'm going blank on Shocker's parentage, but I know he's not a "Toybox" mold, like Omega and Lynx'y. I believe there've been some rumors of him being on the maybe-list though.

Somehow I'm really not surprised that Tomy had bought Toybox at some point in the past, their product was always very similar in theme and design.

I hope Japan is getting the "Trust Tomy to think of it!" tag line, I miss hearing that :) 

D/L

16. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Does Takara-Tomy every really finish anything? They just let it die and say nothing more about it, then randomly throw a few figures here and there like bt17 and 18.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I can't wait when they make Shockwave!

18. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Usually when a company folds, they begin selling off assets which can include anything from intellectual properties and domain names to real estate and lightbulbs. All this is done in an attempt to recoup as much money as they can from the business. If you walked into a CompUSA recently, you may have seen that they were selling not only all the products on their shelves, but also the shelves themselves. If a company doesn't sell off the IP rights, it remains owned by the shareholders/company owners. IDW had to secure the rights to the DW works before they could reprint anything.

19. User0001

User0001 New Member

I have a megatron 16-special and a Ultra magnus c-69. can any one tell me the value they are at now?