Was Starscream ever an official Autobot?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Hound_Dawg, May 9, 2010.

1. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Well-Known Member

Ok, like the title suggests, this is for a discussion at work I was having. My friend and co-worker believes that Starscream was an autobot before Megatron took power and created the Decepticons. Any ideas and thoughts?

The history of how this came about.

The discussion came about while we were talking about the game War for Cybertron. I didn't want to put this in that game thread, because the nature of the chat my friend and I were having is that this would be War for Cybertron into G1. He says that in the beginning of the Decepticon campaign you are Starscream as an Autobot? My stance is that Starscream remained Factionless as a Scientest, until he sided with Megatron in an attempt to gain power thus only being a Decepticon.

2. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess that depends on if you equal Autobots to all Cybertronians. If you do, then I guess he is. If you think before the war there were no 'Autobots', then I guess he wasn't .

3. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on how you look at it. Before the American Civil War, all US citizens would have belonged to the "USA" faction (differentiating themselves from other nations). During the Civil War, some branded themselves "Confederates." If the planet Cybertron viewed itself as part of a larger intergalactic community, then it is possible they would have flown one of the two banners (in this case, Autobots).

4. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Armada Starscream was probably the closest, when he defected...

5. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I wrote in the Epic Crossover story Transformers/BEN 10 that STarscream become a Autobot after Megatron's Fired him in a Castle.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wait..did he fire him from his job, or did he actually launch a castle with Starscream in it into space?...

...cos that last option would be AWESOME.

7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    fanfic doesn't count.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I believe they were all referred to as Cybertronians before the war, then the Decepticons became a faction and started the war, and those who opposed the Decepticons became Autobots.

So... technically, no Starscream was not an official Autobot before the war.

9. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Well-Known Member

I appreciate the insight guys and gals. As far as Cybertronians go and Starscreams relation that way, I always imagined it as all transformers were cybertronian, then starting at that point branch out to Decepticons followed by Autobots. That also may have been the point my friend was trying to relay to me, bu I wasn't looking past faction symbols.

On a side note, I too would like to see Starscream shot out of a castle by Megatron! That would be freak'n sweet!

10. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Read the story and you find out.,but STarscream can join the Autobots maybe his see Jetfire.

11. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Not before the war but since people are talking about fanfics even:
    In the Anthology book Transformers legends there is a short story where Starscream looses his memories and hangs with the Autobots for a while.
    The story is called Redemption center.

12. Skullman

Skullman Dr. Wily's 32nd Robot

Before Autobots and Decepticons were enemies, they were in harmony, and were one. So I wouldn't say he was an Autobot, but he was once allies with the Autobots, as were all Decepticons once. When they split, the Autobots were left with Cybertron, and Decepticons with Destron.

13. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. The thought of Megatron pulling a Dr. Doom on Starscream is awesome. Fanart plz.

I liked the way that IDW handled this issue: before the war, there were simply Cybertronians, and the Autobots were the planetary security force. When Megatron rebels, he founds the Decepticons, and the two sides absorb the rest of the populace.

14. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^What he said, lol

(I had typed it all out before I read that post ;p)

15. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    See that's what I always thought was the case. Autobots and Decepticons being factions. The G1 toon and even Animated make it seem like 2 races. Heck even BW does that.

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Your friend is mistaken, but it's an understandable mistake. In numerous interviews, Starscream does not start in WFC as a Decepticon, part of the first mission on the Decepticon campaign ends with him deciding to join Megatron and becoming a Decepticon.

Most likely he's equating "Not a Decepticon" with Autobot. In addition, you start the Decepticon campaign as Megatron and eventually start using Starscream, who is a 'con at that point, you never play him as an undecided. You can read about a dozen sites/pre-release reviews and whatnot over at the WFC forum for the info if you need the proof.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Yeah seriously Spiderus, you need to give us a visual representation of your awesome idea.

18. Cmdr Prime

Cmdr Prime co-Commander of Autobots TFW2005 Supporter

According the Amada Series The only reason Starcream joined the Autobots[not that he liked them] was to take down Megatron and pronounce himself the new leader of the Decepticons