Was Sauron handled terribly in the LOTR'S films, compared to the books

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by megatron6661, May 6, 2011.

1. megatron6661

megatron6661 Well-Known Member

I thought I would ask everyone's thoughts on this subject, see what you guys think.

I have asked this question for years on forum's, debated with loads of PPL. And allot actually have agreed about Sauron, he is handled terribly in the films. Now what has bugged me is 3 things.

1 - It seems to me, Jackson and co seem to do no research on Sauron in the books, they just come to some 5 second conclusion he was the eye, which he was never the eye in the first place. Gollom also said that he encountered sauron at bara-dur, with the quote 4 fingers on the black hand. The eye was just seen has a metaphor, has the will of sauron. The eye could only be seen by certain PPL not all.

2 - With Jackson having problems fitting sauron into the trilogy, he has said even to this day, he was not happy with a lack of onscreen villain. He even got Sauron appearing at the black gates in the ROTK, but changed that plan in summer 2003 when production was still going on.

3 - With Jackson changing his mind with Sauron appearing, his death is just terrible. Adding the fact seeing the eye in the ROTK and the TTT took away the mystery of Sauron. Now in the books his death is much more sinister and terrifying, it shows the very face of evil dying after the ring is destroyed.

Here is a pic of how he dies in the book.
    [​IMG]

What do you guys think? if you loved the series of LOTR. Was sauron handled terribly?

2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Short answer: no.

Long answer: the LOTR were adapted to film, and done so in a way that they could appeal to people who hadn't read the books (like me, for example). Lots of things were changed, from what I've heard.

3. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Meh, I had no problems with how he was handled in the movies and I love the LotR books.

4. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    ive not read the books either and while i woulda liked a more "on screen" villain i think the lack of one kinda added to the air of mystery and dread around him too

but that pic right there woulda been freakin awesome to see too. coulda been easy to pull off in the film and woulda been cool but. it is what it is i guess :p 

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Not even remotely.

6. megatron6661

I still think they could have used him a little more mysterious. I thought he was handled to perfection in the FOTR. We never saw the eye or the tower in the flesh, but the eye was used in flashback sequences, making sauron more of this force of nature

7. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    No, not at all.

He was handled fine in the movies.

In the books, it's arguable that he was handled at all.

In a film, it's pretty tricky to have a main villain carry three films without a single appearence. It's to the films credit that they resisted the 'Sauron appears at final battle' element that they filmed but quickly replaced.

I think the eye in the tower was, perhaps a little cartoonish, but not overbearing or distractingly so. The films had a very grounded feel to them, for fantasy, so it helped make Sauron hold a degree of menace that he was capable of such things.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Sauron was handled perfectly in the movies.
    He was a mysterious, powerful force of evil.
    He permeated the atmosphere of every scene for three really long movies even though he was never given form.
    It’s a miraculous feat, really.

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    That was not Sauron at the black gates. That was the MOUTH of Sauron. I thought Sauron was fine in the movies.

10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Completely agree. I thought the evil presence in the films was much more ominous by Sauron's not having a corporeal form.

11. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    In the final version, yes, also in the books. In the initial script (and making it to film - the scene was shot, but quickly cut and replaced) Sauron was to appear before Aragorn at the Black Gate (the scene where he is blinded by light was to have Sauron appear in his fair form, and then solidify into his armoured form from the prologue - I belive it was Vigo Mortensen who suggested the final version in the finished film. Not 100% on that - I know it was a cast member.) The scene was cut due to being against the spirit of the books, and instead the footage of Aragorn fighting Sauron was re-edited into the fight against the giant Troll. (The idea being that the true heroism wasn't Aragorn kicking a monsters arse, but Frodo's - admittedly failed - attempt to destroy the ring, with Sam - in many ways the true hero of the story, IMO.)

#looks up#

I need to get a life. :rolleyes: 

12. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A pissed of lighthouse=win in my book.

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I think the way he was handled was great. Like other have said it added to the mystery.

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I would like to see the scene.
    Is it in the special features somewhere?

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sauron as in intangible force works better on the page, and that's one of the strengths of the written page over the motion picture. Nature of the beast. If you want Sauron to actually strike fear into you, to make you startle at every bump in the night, read the books.

But I don't think Jackson could have improved the portrayal of Sauron on film. He tells us, very cleverly, that Sauron is so much more than the eye, more than the black rock of the tower supporting the eye, more than the whispering ring digging its chain into Frodo's neck, more than the snarl on Gollum's dessicated lips, more than Pippin's terror and helplessness.

Sauron is the potential for evil and corruption in us all.

16. megatron6661

I agree he is more than all those things combined. But I do think his death is a bit of a letdown in the film. I do believe if he was killed off has we see in the ROTK book, when we see his shadow burst out of his tower of bara-dur, instead of the eye screaming has the tower collapses. I do think all those things combined has you have said, Sauron would have lived up to that billing.

Maybe how he dies is a big reason why I do have problems with Sauron in the films. And seeing the eye move like a lighthouse has if it was his actual form the same thing in the TTT, does let down sauron down has a presence in the films. We do get the mystery of sauron in the FOTR, when the eye is just seen through flashes, and when frodo puts on the ring the eye feels like this monster presence, almost like another window into fear and evil that Sauron is

17. megatron6661

Someone made a video on aragorn vs sauron, it does look awesome. They show sauron in his true form come forward, and then they film him in his armor form we see in the FOTR. Here it is an edited version.

YouTube - Aragorn vs. Sauron

18. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I do love the design.

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    That does look good, and I like the way he was beautiful for an instant.
    However, I'm glad they changed it.

Sauron immediately appeared less powerful than he did during the flashback in FOTR.
    I understand that he was. He was separated from the One Ring.
    However, for a visual story it would seem odd to have him swatting soldiers away like flies in one movie, then be unable to do so after three movies of tension and build up.

20. megatron6661

It would have been cool, if jackson let the fans in the extended cut give everyone a chance do you want the sauron vs aragorn fight, or the normal one. So we see what it would have been like how sauron would have been killed in his real form.

It was not he did not do it in all 3, he saw himself so superior he did not think he needed to do any action