Was ROTF Shakespear? Maybe...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by bellpeppers, Nov 8, 2009.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    O.k., this is not to say that the film wasn't without flaws. I am sure that debate will continue.

What I will say tho is that ROTF actually had depth and character. It had a back story that showd that this ages old conflics wasn't "just because". It shows the ideological differences between warring factions with the human race at the center of their conflict.

Maybe Bay and Co. Didn't intend for this story to be as deep as I personally found it, I dunno.

Was ROTF Shakespear? Maybe... maybe not. But there was more plot and story than random "Gaint Effing Robots blowing sh*t up".

I know that I have a history of bagging on the writers, and much of what I have said remains. Yet,I also have to give credit where credit is due. I felt that the first film was lazily writen, but a lot more effort was put into this one and almost redeamed the writers in my eyes. Too bad they left Star Trek a mess- IMO.

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No no you see, any effort put into the story is supposed to be completely ignored because we had a scene with dogs humping and Devastator's balls.

So this topic should obviously get locked or something.

3. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

Yeah? I think the Moderators said that people should STOP asking for the LOCKING of threads. If you see something you don't like, don't read it.

Original poster, you are ENTITLED to your Opinions, it is evident many had their own reaction to the movie. If it is like Shakespeare to you, than you can certainly say that.

This thread should not be locked, becuase the OP did not do wrong.

Interesting view though.

4. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

It will indeed be a cold, cold, cold day in hell when films like ROTF will be viewed as films with depth. In my mind, there are few insults to a person's intelligence and reason that surpass the film's "depth".

That said, I too, respect the topic starter's opinion, and mean no offence to him SPECIFICALLY.

5. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I thought that this was going to be a link to some funny article where somebody had managed to find a Shakespearean allegory somewhere in the script for ROTF. That I would have enjoyed...

Sadly not.

It's another thread that (almost) features the phrase "..it's not Shakespeare!"; surely the most moronically over-used justification for dumbass, shitty moviemaking the internet has to offer...

6. ngnikolaos

That's because Shakespeare is the polar opposite of ROTF.

7. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Not really. Shakey plays are in fact frequently violent, OTT soap operas. It's the wonderful language that sets them apart from anything else.

8. ngnikolaos

Macbeth (about to stab his King and brother): GIVE ME YOUR FACE!!

9. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

I get where the OP is going with this. It's not shakespeare but it does have some plot/character development that is pretty decent. Though most people didn't notice because of the BOOM! PEW PEW PEW! EXPLOSIONS! EXPLOSIONS! BASH! CLANG! SMACK! that made up 2/3 of the film's length :lol 

10. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I got really drunk and stoned the other night, and then decided to watch ROTF. THe quality of the movie improved by leaps and bounds. I don't know what to think about that now.

I don't really see much depth here. All the elements for ideological origins are pretty simple. Bad guys want to destroy life, and the good guys want to protect it. They just modified a typical "aliens have visited us before" plotline, and applied it to the Transformers. In fact, if anything it changed the "ages-old conflict" into a shorter conflict timewise when compared any previous TF continuity.

Funny, I feel the exact opposite.

11. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    Don't even get why people want it to be "Shakespeare", Shakespeare is shit and boring hidden behind walls of language, It's Transformers and it's fun, it's like a big dumb dog that you love just because he's so god damn cool, that's more than enough.

12. Tyrannosaur

To tell you the truth, I don't care for shakespeare either. He wasn't the first to come up with this stuff technically. The ancient greeks performed plays way before his time from what I've learned.

13. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    I'd rather watch some drunk greek screaming I AM THE GOD OF PARTY CHECK OUT MY PHALLUS than MacBeth again.

14. Tyrannosaur

What truley ruined Shakespeare was that fucking God-awful Romeo&Juliet movie with leonardo DiCaprio. I wanted to claw my fucking eyes out five minutes into the film. I tried so hard to get my ass kicked out of that class, I couldn't do it. I'm too damn nice.

15. ngnikolaos

I am Greek, but I doubt I'll ever scream that sentence. Ever.

16. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yes, intellectual art is shit...and boring. And people don't want it to be Shakespeare. Only the people that defend the movie to death as "awsum" or "it's a toy line turned into a movie" make the Shakespeare comparison.

17. Tyrannosaur

ngnikolaos What if I paid you? :lol 

But seriously it's not shakespeare. I found nothing wrong with most of the dialogue and acting. Seemed fine and believable to me. Even Megan Fox got better too.
    Ok I was looking at her breasts the entire time. Sue me.

18. Kraken2009

Kraken2009 Megatron's Right Hand

They put some Shakespeare in Beast Wars, can't they give maybe a line to somebody?

19. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even the title makes no sense.
    No, ROTF isn't Shakespeare because Shakespeare was a man.

20. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's exactly the way I want it. Having too deep a plot, if not done completely right, will just take away from the fun of the experience.