Was Optimus Prime that bad in the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Attacker_Prime, Sep 27, 2009.

?

Was Optimus Prime in the movies that bad?

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

148 vote(s)
    80.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

That we can agree on.

2. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    About time someone stated that.

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is true in in our reality that is dominated by humans with human emotions and preconceived notions of what a hero should act like. But in a reality dominated by 40 foot robots with the desire to destroy the Earth and extinguish 6 billion lives, this makes no sense.

BTW, I voted 'no'.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    In the third film the Autobots will have to hunt down Optimus as he becomes more and more unhinged.

5. Autobot 47

Autobot 47 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think, if movie-Prime would be severely off-character, Peter would start complaining to Michael for sure...

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Yes, it does. It's what makes a hero a hero, not just some dude with a gun. Heroes don't kill in cold blood, especially if they're Optimus Prime.

Real world example: Saddam Hussein. When he was found, did the first soldier on the scene blow his head off? No. He was arrested and tried. Fictional example: The Joker. How many times have Batman and the police failed to kill the Joker? They can be 99% certain he's going to kill again, but they still don't kill him because it would be wrong.

7. General Magnus

I tend to ignore the Joker thing, but really killing him would save more lives in the long run.

8. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He was just Prime ^^

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

... that's my point. :confused: 

10. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Prime was a badass! That is all. If you don't like it then go watch that wussy animated Prime, oh wait! Canceled.

11. General Magnus

I thought you said that killing the Joker is wrong. I say that it would be better cause it would save lots of people.

12. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hussein, while a tyrant and generally dispicable human being, had no means nor the opportunity to destroy the entire planet. Maybe in his mind, but not in fact. The Decepticons, however, had both. The only way to ensure the continuation of the human race was to eliminate them when the opportunity presented itself. Human rules of war, codes of ethics, or interpretations of the word 'hero' have no place in an alien war. Especially when our entire race is at stake. Hypothetically, of course.

13. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

I don't really agree with the whole "They ruined Optimus Prime" crowd, but I do think that the characterizing of Prime in ROTF was kind of bipolar.

For all the justification of killing Demolishor, I still think the scene that played out in the film felt cold hearted.
    I get the idea that Demolishor was a evil bastish, and it had to be done. But I'm just saying the writers could have handled it better.
    Like someone brought up about the comic book version and how it shows that Prime as regret, but he also knows what has to be done. They could have put that into the film and it would have worked.

There were some heroic moments for Prime in the film, the forest scene of him taking on a group of Decepticons was heroic.
    Though the whole energon hooks ripping open Grindout's face was again where they went just a bit too far. I know one could say it's the heat of the battle, but still...He's ripping open someones face with hooks. That's just nasty for the sake of being nasty.

Even with the final battle, we have some good dialog between Prime and the Fallen.

Fallen: "You'll die just like your brothers."

Prime: "They were your brothers too!"

Good stuff. But then we get: "Give me your face!"
    Probably the most random line I'll ever hear in a fight scene, ever.

Overall, it really just comes down to the fact that the whole film was flawed through and through.

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    People need to realize this - most of ROTF Prime's detractors (myself included) have absolutely nothing against him killing Decepticons. The Cybertronians are at war, and taking lives is obligatory in war. It is merely the way in which Prime killed the Decepticons that we take issue with.

In the 1986 movie, Prime killed his opponents very dispassionately. He gave them quick, clean deaths - soldier's deaths. Eliminating them was nothing more than a job that had to be done. Same with how he killed Bonecrusher in the 2007 film. In ROTF, however, we have him spouting thuggish lines and fighting with brutality and bloodlust (see his fights with Grindor and the Fallen). I think most of us envision Prime as a guy who would finish his enemies swiftly and painlessly, no matter how despicable they were.

And I'm one of those people who believe Batman was strangling the Joker to death at the end of 'The Killing Joke', simply because he realized that the Joker was beyond redemption. ;) 

15. General Magnus

I donĀ“t think the 1986 Prime killed anyone in the movie...or did he?

16. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Well, we had that scene in which he was gunning down all those Cons at Autobot City after transforming and leaping into the air. I like to think that at least one of those Cons died. But... you get the message I'm trying to say, don't you? :p 

17. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Yes. Agreed.
    You basically just summed it all up nicely.

18. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Man, if I had a dollar every time this was used as a terrible example.

He wasn't "killing himself and letting the Decepticons rule the universe" he was (or was intending to) destroying the energy source that the Decepticons would use to take over the universe, and if it required sacrificing himself to do it, then so be it.

19. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Prime is bad ass.

Taking face's is his hobby. And we have to accept that.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I think you said it best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.