Was Optimus Prime that bad in the movies?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Attacker_Prime, Sep 27, 2009.

?

Was Optimus Prime in the movies that bad?

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. No

146 vote(s)
    80.2%
  1. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

People have been saying that they don't like how Optimus Prime was like in the movies, that he was a monster and stuff like that. I don't mean to offend those who believe so, it's their right to like something or not, but in my opinion, Optimus was just fighting heroicly. About compassion, isn't he the same Prime who said "you've let me no choice, brother"? Or "freedom is the right of all sentient beings"? Also, about aiming at the face, it's a quick way to take the enemy down without torturing him. The "Give me your face!" line wasn't that bad, because, after all Prime's got feelings too. He was angry that his ancestors were murdered by the Fallen. And about that he's been defeating Decepticons for 2 years, those Decepticons have killed his friends back on Cybertron, slaughtered many. Those Decepticons got what they deserved. Share your opinion too, and vote.

2. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Sorry but if you kill someone who can no longer fight back that doesn't make you much of a hero. A kill them all don't take any prisoners Prime just seems wrong in my book.

3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Well, if you are talking about Demolisher he was a major dick and a brute. At least in the Sideswipe comic.

4. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I've said it before and I'll say it all over, Prime in the movies is fine. We've seen a rampaging Prime before. The fact that he is BRUTAL in the movies is fine, he's a warrior through and through, and I believe he was thinking not about repairing relations with the Decepticons, but with protecting innocent human.... Demolisher had just killed HUNDREDS of people that would have lived if not for Demolisher's escape. He took it upon himself to execute an evil member of his own race, someone beyond redemption. "Any last words?" He gave Demolisher time to be contrite, repentent, remorseful etc.... and he wasn't. I would have wrote the scene different, but I understand his execution there.

Like said before, the Fallen had caused the destruction of Prime's ancestry, and was attempting to kill an ENTIRE planet. Did he brutally execute the Fallen? Yes, because allowing the Fallen to escape would have been detrimental to everything and everyone he cares for.

Not to mention "Give me your face" is a classic line I now use on my women friends quite often. :p 

5. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prime's character took a major jump forward. In the first movie he was trying to keep the peace. It seemed like he was hoping that things could be resolved...
    ROTF shows us that 2 years later Prime understands that the goal he set is not possible.
    He understood that the decepticons are beyond redemption and are determinded to destroy Prime's new homeworld, just like they did Cybertron.
    In every continuity Prime has had his kick ass moments. ROTF is no different. We see a Prime that has accepted the reality of his situation and is reacting accordingly.
    With Demolisher he was executing a mass murderer. Nothing wrong with that.
    When faced with an enemy that will kill with no conscience and destroy with no thought to the death caused in the destruction, Prime has stepped up his aggression to ensure victory. Prime is a badass...plain out, always has been.
    When the roads of diplomacy are exhausted, he fights with all the skill he has, and all the passion created by watching his planet be destroyed and his friends slaughtered.
    I think Prime showed a lot of restraint given what he has faced in the last few hundred thousand years.

Try to imagine how you would react if everyone and everything you loved had been wiped out. Would you "take prisoners" or "be gentle"? Of course not...you would fight with every ounce of skill and passion you could muster.

6. Echnalaid

Echnalaid Watermelons?

Ebay:
    He was just badass.
    Like in the first movie, Bonecrusher just tore a bus in half, Prime needed to TAKE HIS FACE.

7. SMS55

SMS55 Well-Known Member

And Prime hasn't tried to do it before? He didn't try to kill Megatron like 3 times in the first season? He wasn't about to blow him into oblivion had Hot Rod not gotten in the way? I am not trying to pick on you but what do you suppose he do? You can't exactly lock the Decepticons in jail. If you leave them you run the possibility that they can be repaired or revived(see Megatron). Let's not forget Prime is a noble warrior who respects those who are peaceful. Remember the exchange with Galloway? Even though he knows that leaving Earth is a mistake he will leave if the government makes that request (his "freedom is your right." comment).

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Given how little info we are actually given within the movies themselves do we really know that there isn't some way to take Decepticons prisoner?

Other heroes have to take on dangerous bad guys with a tendency to escape and yet you can find heroes that don't have that need to kill. The Joker was deadly and he already showed he could escape and yet Batman still sticks to a heroes code of not killing him.

I'm not saying that Prime never has a reason to kill because with The Fallen he doesn't really have any other choices. But if you are going to have a noble hero then slaughtering isn't he mark of a noble hero. If the humans turn against the Autobots then would it be okay for him to do the same things to the humans that he does to the Decepticons? If nothing else Jetfire and Wheelie showed that faction is a choice not hard wired in.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    he was fine and if they had taken demolisher prisoner where in the hell would they have kept him ? he would have been able to break out of anything man could build and with out cybertronian materials the autobots could not have built anything that could have held him either prime made the only choice possible to neutralize a threat

10. Crumplezone

Crumplezone Banned

He was Badass.

11. Waveride

Waveride Creative Team

News Credits:
    It's a Michael Bay movie, when has he ever shown his characters to have compassion for killings and such? Besides, Prime was one if not the most accurately portrayed character in the films. None of the other bots really had any characterization that we knew or any screen time.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    He's at war. It's not a fight, not a brawl, a war. People die.

13. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I can't decide whether I like the "my bad" comedy aspect or the "give me your face"/shoot defeated enemy aspect least. I'm not going to wish death on the people responsbile for this, but I hope that all their itches are unreachable from now on.

14. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Optimus only did what every action hero has ever done, the only difference is, he shot Demolishor in the face (like he has much else to shoot in the first place) instead of walking away in slow motion as Demolishor's gas tank ignites and he screams "McBaaaaiiinnn!!!!"

15. General Magnus

At least the "my bad" show how diferent the two worlds (tf anf human) are.

16. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    In the first one, he wanted to sacrafice himself so the Cons can conquer the Universe and the Autobots are leaderless. Gereat plan there.

Then he went from Superman or Captain America to The Punisher being in charge of the good guys.

I liked in the comic adaptation he has some regrets in destroying Demolisher. Something the movie editors got rid of.

17. General Magnus

You mean the evil robot that killed alot of Autobots on cybertron? (hint: read Sideswipe story).

Sorry, I am not going to cry a river over him.

18. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just think Optimus Prime is an Optimus on edge. He's somewhat psychotic, but I like that aspect. He takes faces, that's his thing. Hobbies are good to have.

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Not really. Action heroes aren't supposed to kill defeated opponents. Hell, even Bay knows this. I refer you to the first Bad Boys film, where Will Smith's character wants to kill the injured and supposedly unarmed bad guy, but only does it when the dude pulls a hidden gun. The good guy can leave the villain to a fate of the villain's own creation (Batman Begins), but he's not supposed to actively kill a defeated foe. Especially not when he's Optimus Prime.

20. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:

On another note, It's pretty sad that the comics give the Movieverse more personality and story than Michael Bay can cook up.