Was offered a permanent FT position today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shaun_C, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I just started my first day on the floor today, I've been in training from Mon-Weds working Inbound on an H&R Block account.

And today I was offered a FT permanent position :D 

I was surprised since it was my first day on the floor. But if I may wax off an old chessnut "Mama didn't raise no fools" so I obviously accepted the position.

Who knows I may get lucky and FT perm employees are salaried employees :D 

Since this is Inbound there's no quota like in Outbound calling. And the most important aspects are attendance and punctuality NOT performance. The first 2 aren't a problem since the place is easy to get to. 1 20-minute ride on the Express bus (If it's not rush hour) and a 2-3 block walk and I'm there.

It's not the Senior CSR position I was in consideration for at the National Bank of Canada, but I'm still pleased (especially since the Bank hasn't contacted me yet and I'm not into the "waiting game". And the company promotes internally so providing I get through the 90 day probation (think positive) I can look into becoming a Group Leader.

So now I can definitely consider going to BotCon in June. And honestly I'd rather skip going to '08 rather then '07 since this one has strong possibilities for coolness.

Only thing with BotCon would be to find an interested party to room with. And I've got a possibility with StarSabreJ

2. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Dude, congrats!

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I seems like just yesterday you where washing dishes.

4. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    So what is it you do?

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Ah, I remember the time of McDonalds and housekeeping. Now doing taxes. What a wonderful world with unknown futures.

But like Lance said, what is an Inbound person at HR Block?

6. Shaun_C

Sorry I should've been clearer in my first post

The H&R Block account is simply a temporary account for the tax season. I was Customer Support for Taxcut Software.

The perm FT position is for "DiAngelo"? (I might be wrong as I think I've confused the name) account. And it's for Alcoholic beverages, so it's more of a permanent one then Tax software support. In terms of what that account will involve, I won't know till my first training class on Monday.

It's a good thing I didn't volunteer to go home early otherwise I might've missed the chance on this one

7. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Waitaminit, hold the phone:

Did anyone else catch that? Let's read that again:

So let me get this straight; the most important requirement for your job is to consistently show up at the same time every day, instead of say, actually being qualified to do the job in the first place?

What kind of magical superjob is this?

8. Shaun_C

What I mean is, it's Inbound CSR work. So unlike Outbound calling there's not so much emphasis on quotas and results. Although this company does have standards for their Inbound CSR's it's not the same as an Outbound company. If you catch what I'm saying. It's more about quality and not quantity, besides I wouldn't have been brought into the company if I failed the listening, spelling and PC tests. I had to listen to calls, test my spelling as well as answer Customer Service related questions

Hope that clears it up for you Lance :) 

9. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    So you work at a call center, doing tech support for third-party software?

10. Shaun_C

Today and Friday, yes

Starting Monday I'm training for the DiAngelo account I mentioned in my prior post

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

So you do taxes on alcohol?

12. Shaun_C

What I'll be doing now is unrelated to taxes. However WHAT that actually I won't know till next week

13. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    And what will you be doing then?

I guess what I'm getting at is that you're not being entirely clear on what it is you actually do, or as the case may be, will be doing, come Monday.

Imagine for a moment that you're the only one on this board who knows what Inbound and Outbound CSR is, and the difference between the two. Now given that parameter, describe what your job entails. Or will entail. Come Monday.

That should clear things up.

14. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lance wins this thread

15. Shaun_C

Ah okay,

well as an Inbound CSR on behalf of the client (DiAngelo?). People call in and I and others are responsible for such things as answering questions or filling orders regarding the client's product/service.

But not knowing much about the account itself, it's hard to give a concrete description of what I'll be doing on behalf of DiAngelo?, so I can only give a summized description of what an Inbound CSR does.

And sorry, I assumed that since the states has quiet a few Telemarketing firms (hence the Do not call lists) that everyone knew the difference. But that's my fault for assuming :) 

But Inbound's definitely the way to go as you don't get subjected to the same amount of rudeness an Outbound person does as you're not disturbing them and THEY are calling you

16. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    So for example, I have a bottle of Gatorade in front of me. On the label, in very small print, it states:

QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS? CALL 1-800-88-GATOR (1-800-884-2867). PLEASE HAVE BOTTLE AVAILABLE WHEN CALLING.

If I called that number, and you had the "Gatorade" account, there may very well be a chance I would get to talk to you, and voice my questions or comments about Gatorade? And from there, you would either thank me for purchasing Gatorade, answer any questions I may have about Gatorade, or apologize for me not liking Gatorade, and offer to refund my money?

Is that what you do then? Or at least will be doing, come Monday?

17. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Wait, did I just confuse myself?

18. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Hell that’s all my boss cares about. As long as people show up to work he looks the other way when they suck at it because he knows me and a couple other guys will just pick up the slack because we are so dumb we actually work hard.

19. Shaun_C

That's a decent description of what goes on doing Inbound CSR work

20. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The thing that I'm wondering about is wouldn't a full time, permanent employment come with a salary?

Or is it just part of the corporate buzzwords that Shaun_C likes to throw about that know one else knows/cares about?