Was Mirage originally going to be Rodimus or Cliffjumper?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Lazerwave, May 28, 2011.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    After finally knowing that the Ferrari is Mirage and hours of staring at pictures of him (rubbing eyes), I could to think that they were originally going to call him Rodimus or Cliffjumper.

For Rodimus, I started comparing pictures of him and Mirage. He was almost the same with being a Red sports car, weapon on arms (well, Rodimus has gun and Mirage has swords), front part of car is chest and his crown almost matches Mirage's.

For Cliffjumper, He was almost the same Transformation as Bumblebee, just like in the cartoon. Doors are wings, almost the same face, same chest and he hangs around Bumblebee a lot.

I think because the renamed him Mirage was for these reasons. Originally Rodimus, but was removed because of Merchandicing. then Cliffjumper was removed because Transformers Prime called right for him (just like the cartoon The Batman, they were originally going to do Scarecrow for one episode but the movie called rights for him so was replaced with Hugo Strange). Trust me, I heard awhile ago they were originally going to call Sideswipe Hot Rod, but dued to Merchandicing he was renamed.

2. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You're looking way too into that, a LOT of Transformers have arm-weapon, and even MORE TF's have the front of their vehicle on their chest. Minor coincidence.

Really? That's like saying ROTF Megatron was really going to be Blitzwing because he can turn into a jet and a tank.

Really now? Proof please, otherwise, you're BSing just to get your point across.

3. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I think Tkemert's sig is a perfect response alone for the OP.

[​IMG]

4. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

Cliffjumper is dead in the movie continuity so I doubt it was going to be him.

Rodimus maybe and people really were hoping it would be him. Either way I'm content with what we have now I just need the movie to come out!

5. Tkemert20

Tkemert20 「Dojyaaa~n」 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Eh, it's not like the movies actually FOLLOW their own continuity.

6. Karhukjnsi

News Credits:
    Elita-1 was also dead, they managed to pull her from Hel's grasp. Nonetheless, I think the big factor is whether the invisibility was there from early on or not. I feel that would be the major factor in deciding on Mirage. (Don't know if he turns invisible in the movie or not,
    but various printed fiction seems to show him being able to do so or claiming that he can
    .)

7. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Found it on Wiki here:

Hot Rod (Transformers) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. Karhukjnsi

News Credits:
    GODDAMNlT!

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

First off; NEVER use Wikipedia as an end all, be all source. They really mean "the encyclopedia that anybody can edit", and this means anybody can post incorrect information and the clean-up bots may not detect false information for a while, if at all.

Second, that page in question doesn't even make SENSE wth your argument. According to the article, Hot Rod might have been in the 2007 film and later in ROTF in the role that Sideswipe eventually filled. NOWHERE does it mention Hot Rod was even considered for DOTM. PERIOD.

10. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I was just following what everyone guess who the Ferrari is.

11. protonpackin

protonpackin Well-Known Member

as far as "the movies dont follow their own continuity"...uh where does it state they have to follow anything that happens in the comics when it comes to making a movie....

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

But we've known the Ferrari is Mirage for some time. There's even a toy of the Ferrari that has Mirage's robot mode and name on it.

And that still doesn't explain why you're trying to support your idea with an article that does the exact opposite by NOT saying Rodimus was even considered for the Ferrari.

It doesn't, but the problem here is that Lazerwave thinks that the movie HAS to be in context with the comics. It's also his reason for having issue with movie Wheeljack, because his head looks different in CGI than it does in the comics.

13. JosephIor

JosephIor kirbytron

I read on the internet that Optimus was supposed to be Black Arachnia in the first movie, but animated claimed rights for Black Arachnia. That's why Optimus is in the movies.

Optimus Prime (other incarnations) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Really, check, it really is there if it hasn't been deleted. Totally wasn't me who added it. Or was it?)

14. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I was thinking if that was the case and your predictions were right but then changed.

Well I don't know how to explain it, I'm Autistic.

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Jesus. Goddamn. Please. I know of the general dislike of Wikipedia...THE WIKI QUOTE IS SOURCED. Fuck. If you're unsure just check the goddamn footnote. We all know how to check that shit right? Sure Wiki has that edit problem but just look to see if there's a footnote, and if there is, check the source. A bit of due diligence goes a long way. This is a huge pet peeve of mine...the outright blowing off of Wiki WITHOUT EVEN CHECKING THE ARTICLE IN FULL. Wiki is fine for general knowledge as long as you exercise a little scholarly work and cross check references and sources if there are any.

Anyways I agree with the rest of the post. I cannot see how anyone could draw the conclusion that Mirage was considered to be Hot Rod. Unless that Ferrari makes Corvette Stingrays...maybe then I'd see it...MAYBE...highly unlikely.

16. nametaken

nametaken Well-Known Member

worth repeating.

end of the day it doesn't matter what the transfomer's name is. you look at his purpose in the story.
    mirage's purpose is to die in order to emphasize the danger the autobots are in. him being red in my mind is a nod to star trek where the new people in red always were the ones to go.
    that is my own fanciful take on him being red, not saying at all thats why they actually did it.

17. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Cliff is not dead, i asked Chris Mowry if he Died and he sayed that Cliff Survived reign of Starscream

18. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Stop using that as a "get out of self improvement FREE!" card.

19. Omegatron Prime

Omegatron Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if it's any consolation i'm pretty sure i heard that the ferrari was gonna be hot rod or rodimus too but i'm not sure where

20. HypnoFirework

HypnoFirework Elcor

Although in the films Prime is much more violent then his previous incarnations, killing Bonecrusher by beheading him with his Energon blades, Grindor by ripping his head in two with his hooks, the Fallen by ripping out his spark and Demolisher by shooting him in the head while the Decepticon was dying and at his mercy, as well as ripping off Starscream's arm and blasting half of Megatron's face off, throughout the course of the first two movies. However fans have responded favourably claiming that Optimus is now more badass.
    - from wikipedia

LOL