Was Mikaela's Dad Supposed to Die? o_O

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hazekiah, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    In the process of compiling my exhaustively comprehensive list of product placements in this particular movie [*ahem* http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...duct-placement-shout-out-list-right-here.html ], I took notice of a particular book visible on Carly's shelves, entitled Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs, which chronicles the author's difficulties as a recovering alcoholic.

I also thought it was good that in a role that had only been slightly rewritten for a different actress and character -- and which still had vestiges of the original role sprinkled throughout -- at least Carly had a pretty unique quality in terms of the death of her brother being her motivation to give Sam a hard time about trying to save the world and in the process endangering himself.

I figured out pretty quickly that the book might have been a holdover from that apartment having been initially set-designed and dressed as MIKAELA'S apartment and therefore assumed the presence of the book there might have been connected with her reprobate father, who likely would have encountered counseling in prison to deal with his hypothetical alcoholism and, consequently, thereby explaining his study-at-home daughter eventually researching the subject (in the process of learning to cope and help her father).

But I just couldn't figure out how the scene with Carly throwing a fit and storming off to the party would have originally been written for Mikaela, since she knew the threat Decepticons posed to the world and even had the balls to join in the fight herself on numerous occasions.

Likewise, it would seem pretty excessively random to just suddenly kill off Mikaela's brother in the same sentence we first hear about him in the course of three movies.

Then I wondered if maybe Mikaela's FATHER was supposed to have died between films, perhaps in conjunction with a drunken motorcycle accident or some such?

If you think about it, it would EVEN help explain how and why Mikaela would have been able to take a job in Washington D.C. even though she was still practically her father's caretaker the last we'd heard, IN ADDITION to justifying the whole whining-to-Sam-about-endangering-himself thing.

And it doesn't really add up for it to be SAM'S book, since his mom is the only one in his family who flips out when she gets tipsy and no one's bugging HER about it when she has a Bud Light in the presence of those who'd be her immediate support group. Not to mention how smoothly the family dealt with her pot-brownie episode, lol.

Or another option here is that someone who worked on this movie might simply also be working on a film adaptation of Dry: A Memoir and just thought it would be cute to put the book in this movie, since it's an autobiographical sequel to Running with Scissors (which is itself a novel-adapted-to-film, of course)...but that's just so pedestrian a hypothesis, lol.

Anyway.

It just clicked for me and made a LOT of sense all of a sudden so I thought I'd throw it out there.

:) 

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    that makes no sense whatsoever...

3. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    While I acknowledge that it's a bit of a leap (hence my framing it as such in the OP), saying it "makes no sense whatsoever" is highly inaccurate.

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Ah he probably went back to jail.

5. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, leaping straight to his (hypothetical) death might've been going a bit far.

It was probably just all the talk of Carly's dead brother that initially steered me towards the death-angle for Mikaela's dad here.

But sure, her father landing himself back in jail/prison works well enough with the same line of thought.

Good point!

6. Walktehdinosaur

Walktehdinosaur HI! MY NAME IS [Volleybot]

News Credits:
    Well thought out. That sounds sound but I doubt the makers would go that deep, but as fanon, that could work pretty well.

And GC it does make sense so I will assume you dont understand it.

7. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

It does make sense. Does anybody know how far Mikaela was written into the movie before Spielberg had a fit and kicked Megan out?

8. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Haha, thanks!

As for whether or not it was placed there intentionally, the only other (real) books as easily visible in the movie both pertain directly to their characters...

She Comes First (The Thinking Man's Guide To Pleasuring A Woman) by Ian Kerner for Judy Witwicky.

And Moonfire by Norman Mailer for Jerry Wang.

Seems to go a long way towards establishing that certain books are linked with certain characters for a reason.

And besides, we're talking about a movie where pretty much everyone involved is at the top of their field, which includes the people who dress the sets. They pretty clearly put a lot of thought into stuff like that during production.

(Click that Product Placement link in the OP and read the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th posts for some excellent examples, btw.)

Just sayin'!

Again, thanks! I almost didn't even post this one here because I thought it would probably be ridiculed the most, lol. Oh, how wrong I was...

;) 

But the role was still Megan Fox's until mere weeks before principal shooting, when she and Spielberg apparently decided to be problem children all of a sudden and leave us with yet another crippled TF sequel.

I mean, we're talking about a MASSIVE production with hundreds and hundreds of people working for months and months for a supergiant studio that gave them an insanely tight schedule to meet an almost completely inflexible release date which only got changed to make it earlier. It's a tentpole film, it's not like they could just get everything set to go and then casually decide to halt the production for a couple months while the writers restructured the entire movie.

So you have to keep in mind the fact that the writers didn't really have much time to do anything but what little they did to make the role of Mikaela become Carly.

But, yeah, from curating a car collection and keeping a well-stocked garage to her being pissy with her constant break-up threats and having the balls to stand up to Megatron, basically everything Carly does makes more sense if the character's still Mikaela instead of Carly.

Not to mention the whole living together/marriage thing. Don't get me wrong, Sam's obviously an overachiever in relationships, it just seems a lot less absurd that he'd be able to get away with acting like a complete jackass while being supported by his long term girlfriend, at least.

Plus, if I just got a sports car worth a quarter of a million dollars FOR FREE and my relatively new significant other thought they could tell me wtf to do with it...haha. Ridiculous.

Anyway...yeah. They pretty much just switched the names and added and/or changed a couple lines here and there and that was that. But after Fox and Spielberg made their stubborn decisions everyone else pretty much had their hands tied.

:-\

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  10. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    Megan's character does seem much more believable as Dempsy's assistant than Rosie.
    Considering she was a grease monkey.

11. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

It could always be a coincidence. Maybe Mikaela's dad had fixed himself up already by the time DOTM started. Also, did anyone know that the guy who plays him in ROTF played Uncle Ben's supposed killer (credited in the film as Carjacker) in the first Spider-Man movie?

12. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It wouldn't have been that much of a stretch to just say "By the way, Mikaela had an older brother who recently died."

13. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks for the link! Great pix.

Yeah, it's pretty blatantly Mikaela's role there still.

Interesting, thanks...I didn't know that. I guess something about the poor guy just screams CAR THIEF!!! to casting directors, lol.

Not too much, no. Random and sloppy storytelling, but certainly not out of the question.

14. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

WHAT?

15. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is so drawn out and pointlessly excessive it just seems most of us don't give a damn. But hey Congrats. Glad mom finally let you watch the movie so you can see what the rest of us all watched 6 months ago.

16. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    ???

It's MY thread, not yours...you don't HAVE to give a damn.

But, sorry...I was unaware there was a time limit for valid discussion of the movies. Perhaps the entire subforum should just be closed if that's how so many here seem to feel about it. Not my problem, though.

And I saw the movie immediately at both the 9 pm and Midnight openings just like I'm sure many others here did as well. Since you mentioned it, however, I actually paid to take my mom and cousin to see it when I was visiting them a month later on the day it broke a billion. We all had a great time, thanks.

Sorry you felt the post was too "drawn out and pointlessly excessive," though...I just thought it was worth presenting the chain of logic along with my hypothesis for clarity's sake.

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's not your thread, it's public. It's OUR thread.

I doubt that Mikaela's dad would be a plot point, given he hadn't been seen or alluded to beyond the first firm (and even then only in a few instances), and since he wasn't kidnapped during ROTF along with Sam's family, it seems even more unlikely he'd have a role to play.

Unless the original plot of DOTM was going to be about him reuniting with his daughter only for her to find out he'd been working with the Decepticons for decades and that's how he ended up in jail in the first place, which would have been interesting, I guess.

18. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    WAT.

He's actually ONLY seen in the second film, after merely being alluded to in the first.

And, in fact, his incarceration and rehabilitation WAS a plot point in that film, by way of explaining why she couldn't move with Sam to the East Coast.

Which is precisely why I mentioned it since for some reason that complication was apparently to have no longer been a factor in the third film, when she would have been living with Sam in D.C.

19. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Had Mikaela still been a character within DOTM, and would be living with Sam in D.C., it doesn't necessarily imply that her dead had to die in order for her to be living with Sam.

She couldn't do anything in ROTF until she got her father back on his feet. She probably would have been successful in doing that and as a result be able to move out on her own and be with Sam, had she remained his love interest.

20. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Side-effect of blocking out so much of ROTF I guess.

Given the amount of background characters excised from the films without explanation, however, I doubt he would have been needed to be "killed off". At best maybe an offhanded comment about him "not needing me anymore" or telling Mikaela to "follow her heart".