Was it ever revealed where Hot Rod and the rest of the new '86 movie cast came from?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Recall, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    So it was 20 years between season 2 G1 and the '86 movie. Was any canonical (is that even a word?) fiction released covering where Hot Rod, Springer, Blurr, Arcee, Kup, Ultra Magnus etc came from and how they ended up stationed on earth?

Were they ever given back stories, if so where are they covered?

I just had a random thought and couldn't really find an answer so thought it best to ask.

Thanks.

Edit - seems my thread title is longer than I thought, sorry :( 

2. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The "Secret Files of Teletraan II" segment on the Autobots noted that they came from different regions of the galaxy. The info's a touch on the iffy side (it's not the only file that simplifies things down to the point that they're incorrect) as it notes that they were reunited when the Autobots took BACK Cybertron after the movie, which is, of course wrong. Presumably, it ought to be that that they migrated to Earth when the Autobots were forced off Cybertron and set up Autobot City on Earth.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    So its just the vague notion of being somewhere else and then arriving in due time. I suppose at least it leaves a lot open for fan fiction.

Thanks for the answer Chris.

4. AlanGarou

AlanGarou Well-Known Member

Yeah, the writers never really gave any explanation for their presence. They were just suddenly there. I imagine that contributed to some fans' annoyance with so much of the original cast getting killed off. To be fair, though, they could well have been just off-screen in the prior seasons.

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always pictured them as been part of the resistence on Cybertron during Season 1 & 2 (similar to the fembots). At some point before 2005, they met up with Prime & crew and joined the Earth forces.

What they should have done in Season 2 was have an episode where some Earth Autobots went to Cybertron & met the resistence. Maybe not feature the movie cast prominently but show them in the background. Maybe have Magnus as the only one with a prominent role (also sets up that Prime & Magnus knew each other so Prime giving Magnus the Matrix not so strange over other bots). Get kids interested in 'who are these people' and then have the movie be the real introduction of them. Sort of a sneak peak. Might have also helped smooth over the acceptance of the new cast by fans.

6. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I personally never had a problem accepting them as i'm a huge Springer and Hot Rod fan but it would have been nice for some thing to get released after the fact to tie it all together especially as with new characters. So much is available to create interesting back storys and further expand on the G1 universe.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Dreamwave's G1 vol.2 mni-series gives this explanation for not only the movie bots, but also all the season two bots (who also just appeared without explanation on Earth). So I highly recommend that the OP go read this mini as it is the closest thing we'll ever get to an official explanation.

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Ah i wasn't aware of it, thanks for the suggestion :) 

9. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    They also attempt to clear some of it up in the G1 marvel. Like Blaster, Tracks and Perceptor and some others.

10. smkspy

Though the Marvel stuff was a completely seperate continuity from the cartoon. DW's continuity tried to fit itself in between Season 1 and Season 2 of the cartoon continuity.

11. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only in the loosest, hand-wavingest, no-it-actually-did-not-ingest sense imaginable. Setting aside the completely different history of Cybertron, Superion was in the first miniseries, and he didn't get *created* until the end of season 2! And on the offchance you meant to say "between season 2 and the movie, that doesn't work either, since it presented the 1985 Autobot cars and Mini-Bots as never having left Cybertron.

12. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Well-Known Member

I just thought that they were always on cybertron. Then came to earth.
    buts its a good question

13. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Desertion of the Dinobots states that the new season two characters were also suffering from the depletion of Cybertonium which only happens to Transformers who had been on Earth for the last four million years whereas those Transformers which had not been on Earth long (the Dinobots and the Constructicons were not affected).

14. smkspy

From what I remember, the decision to use the comic origin of both Superion and the Dinobots in the first mini-series was intentional. Really, they just switched the origins with the Dinobots being Cybertronian and the Superion being made on Earth. And the inclusion of Red Alert was just a plan goof on the part of the first mini's writer.

And yeah, some things were retconned like the origin of Prime and the Great Shutdown, but nearly everything else fitted pretty well.
    -The creation of Metroplex/Autobot City
    -The reason for the 85 bots on Earth, building Autobot City.
    -What happened to Sparkplug (can't remember if he was season 2) though this too is a bit retconned.
    -the coming of Unicron

Though the history of Cybertron was a mess in the cartoon so I give Mick and Furman some credit for trying to improve upon.

Ultimately, it works IMO in establishing something more than "They were just there" or "They were here all along you just didn't see them." Yeah, its not perfect, but DW did a pretty damn fine job of using most of the cartoon's contintuity along with the very best elements of the comic to create a cohesive universe. Too bad Pat Lee was such a douche bag.

15. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus prime

Ebay:
    They came from a late night drinking binge in Maryland and a factory in China.

J/k

I agree with Saberconvoy, I just thought they were from cybertron. Series two brought in a lot of new characters once it was established that they could go back and forth which paved the way for any new characters to be brought into the story.

16. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

See, when a mommy robot and a daddy robot love each other and get married......well, that don't necessarily have to be married, but they should be, but I don't want you looking down on single mothers......see there's a special kind of "hug", see......let me put it this way, nature has a certain way of.....gosh, I'm trying to remember what my dad told me......"don't worry, no woman's going near you with hair that long, you hippie. Some of the guys maybe"....okay, dad's advice isn''t going to work here.......see, when two robots are in love.....maybe there's a book I can get you....the mommy robot sits like this and - no wait too much detail.....geez, I wish I watched more after school specials....why don't you tell me what they taught you in school and I'll fill in the rest......well, what did you hear on the bus, then?.....

Go ask your mother.

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Not really. They didn't know at the time Red Alert was to be written out of the next storyline.

18. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, it most definitely didn't. I'm no fan of the cartoon, but don't try and associate the Dreamwave pap with it!

The Dreamwave writers were quite clear during the whole Pat Lee-tastic crapola that they were writing a new continuity, taking what they thought were the best elements of cartoon and Marvel canon (though you could tell most of 'em only had a very passing knowledge of the Marvel series and were just 20-somethings who remembered the cartoon as the be-all and end-all of TF fiction - we'll exclude Simon Furman from that of course! :) )

In the Marvel comics, they were all given good reasons to be involved. Springer was leader of the Wreckers, Hot Rod, Kup & Blurr were part of Fort Max's gang etc.

19. dharmacon

dharmacon More Than Meets The Isle

News Credits:
    As a child in the 80's, I asked myself the same question, and I actually wrote a homemade comic book when I was 12 that explained it away:

In 1988, Teletraan-1 received a transmission from Ultra Magnus, who explained to Prime that he (Magnus) was in charge of a small vagabond group of warriors (the '86 movie characters) that were in hiding on Cybertron for unexplained reasons. They had met up with Elita-1 and one of her teammates, Arcee, decided to join Magnus' group.

Magnus learned about Earth and the Autobots there through Arcee and asked Prime if he could join them, so Prime sent Omega Supreme, with Ironhide and Ratchet in tow, to Cybertron to retrieve them. Wouldn't you know it: Megatron found out and wasn't having it, so he sent Skywarp, Thundercracker and Soundwave to stop them.

Here's a scan of the panel in which Magnus makes his plea to Prime (sorry about it being crooked... the pages and binding are very delicate, and I didn't want to risk further damage with repeated scan attempts):
    [​IMG]

20. trystendaycey

trystendaycey Captain CAAAAAAVEMAAANNN!

You see, there were these terrific new toys that would sell well in the upcoming year. Better by far than would recolors/retools of the same line that had been on shelves for the last two years… so a story was concocted to make you want these new toys and simultaneously make practically every other TF you then owned obsolete by cartoon continuity standards.....

But I'm not bitter. My childhood was fine. I turned out okay....