Was Grimlock inspired by Godzilla?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Nov 14, 2011.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    We know certain Transformers characters do have aspects of characters from other famous brands like Bulkhead was inspired by The Thing from the Fantastic Four and Lugnut inspired by the Incredible Hulk. But was Grimlock inspired by Godzilla? I don't mean by just Grimlock's T-rex mode alone I mean by character traits too. I noticed they have surprisingly a lot in common here's a list by what I mean.

#1 They both have short tempers and get angry easly.

#2 They both want to prove they are the strongest creatures in the universe.

#3 They both have a dislike of humans though they just want to be alone and thry do not attack humans unless provoked.

#4 They are both very strong beings and they won't go down easy.

#5 They both have a grudge with a perticular enemy like Grimlock against Shockwave and Godzilla against King Ghidorah,Gigan,MechaGodzilla,Megalon,etc

#6 They both have a hard time getting along with people and friends though not in a cruel way.

I'm sure it may be a coincediece but still the similarities are surprising nontheless! However if the original creators of the character did take some pointers from Godzilla than it's not shocking considering what I've talked about.

So what are your thoughts?

2. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never bothered to think of that but I think there are some similarities to eachother like you pointed out.

3. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I know right? They really do have a lot in common if you think about it.

4. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wonder if there are any similarites of Kaiju in general to the other Dinobots.

5. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I guess Slag does have traits of Angurius like Swoop has traits of Rodan and Sludge with Baragon and Snarl with Varan. But that's my idea anyway.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    All these alleged "similarities" are extremely broad and vague, and don't even all apply equally to the same continuity.

7. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    It's just a guess so it may not be true! I'm just pointing out some simliarites not trying to prove that he was inspired by Godzilla!

8. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Grimlock's grudge against Shockwave is... pretty much exclusive to the IDW comics, yes? Which happened decades after Furman defined his interpretation of Grimlock's character.

His short temper is more of a G1 cartoon thing.

Basically, you're making very general observations about certain attributes of two characters, many of which are pretty obvious ideas based on their physical appearances. There's only so many things you can do with an alien robot who's a mechanical T-rex...

It's like taking G1 Optimus Prime's disappearing trailer from the cartoon, Animated Optimus Prime's rookie cadet background, movie Optimus Prime's face-taking shtick and Powermster Optimus Prime's binary bonding to HiQ and comparing those things to another character from another series.

9. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    With those points, you may as well say that Megatron was inspired from Godzilla.

The only potential connection to Grimlock with Godzilla is being dinosaur shaped, and having some sort of fire-breath. Otherwise, your "similarities" are just generic big violent thing characteristics.

10. DinoFreakUSA

DinoFreakUSA Well-Known Member

All of these similarities are just characteristics of aggressive brutes. Grimlock was inspired by a Tyrannosaurus, not Godzilla.
    Now Trypticon on the other hand, was clearly inspired by the famous monster.

11. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

Basically what you have to take into account here is, if you dig too deep you can find a lot of similarities between things that are probably coincidence.

12. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I'm talking about ALL versions of Grimlock not just his G1 version!

I was talking about thier personaltys. I said not just thier shape and all!

13. DinoFreakUSA

DinoFreakUSA Well-Known Member

Again, these are all just characteristics of big brutes. Megatron, Lugnut, G1 Omega Supreme, Trypticon, and Devastator all have those same personality traits. So it is very vauge.

14. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Yup, it's Trypticon that seems to have been the one inspired by Godzilla, IMO.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think these are coincidences, and probably tie back to them both being archetypical big hulking monsters, rather than the one being a reference to the other.

For example, Grimlock's grudges have usually been pretty minor in terms of how they related to their characterizations. The Dinobots as a "counter" to Shockwave only really happened twice, and the Dinobots against Devastator was more for the sake of team symmetry, I think.

While one could say Godzilla had grudges against Ghidora and other kaiju, he didn't fight any of them more than a few times (and probably fought most of the others just as often), and sided with Mothra and Rodan as often as he fought them, it seemed.

16. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Like I said it could be a coincidence. I never said they were true!

17. Nevermore

News Credits:
    "I'm not saying it's true! But it COULD be! We can never know for sure! Occam's Razor is for wussies."

18. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Oh come on! I'm not shoving it down peoples throats about it!

19. Nevermore

News Credits:
    You started this thread for a reason. You were raising a point, we say you're stretching things very far, and you're getting all defensive in response. What's your point exactly?

20. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    My point is is that if Grimlock was inspired by Godzilla and if it's not true than I'm fine with it really! I just don't know why are people getting uptight about me saying that they may be right about it being a coincedence because they think I'm trying to defend the fact that it's not a coencidence! I was just asking a question about it that's all!