Was G1 Megatron Ever made in France ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Red leader, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    I know it was rumoured but did G1 megs ever get made in France like Ops did ?

2. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

No. They were all made in China just like everyone else's G1 Megs were!

Seriously though, I have no idea.

3. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    The one I have says differently :)  Stamped Takara 74-83 and Made in France. I paid quite a but for it a few years ago and was curious as to its worth nowadays. Knowing my luck probably less than a regular Megs lol!

4. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I have a G1 Soundwave that has the made in France everywhere and have never been able to figure out were he originated from as I've always suspected it was a KO or something. Which is ok with me as I picked it up pretty cheap.

5. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    I cant find anything about them man :)  maybe they are the milton bradley versions, Prime is pretty common over here but I havent seen a megs before.

6. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

I stand corrected!

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I've read tidbits of info that seem to indicate that there actually was some sort of deal regarding some French run somewhere (kinda like what happened in Italy) but honestly I cant remember what the specifics were now. Not that there was much if any info to begin with but I've never heard the full deal regarding these "Made in France" versions.

8. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Someone ??? anyone ??? :) 

9. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    That sounds right, but my memory is a little fuzzy too. Hey, Red, maybe you should shoot a pm to Nevermore. He'd probably know the answer.

10. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    I suppose he must be from the same lot as the red feet prime :) 

11. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Damn, I hadn't thought about the possibility of a French Megs, seems kind of obvious now thinking about it. My complete G1 Megs collection seems to be getting further away despite my dedication!

I think I know who to ask for more info, I'll post again once I've found out.

12. Yigal

Yigal Dutch Meeting camera man

Ebay:
    You're really close mate! But there are 2 waves.

The first Transformers released in Europe in 1984 where made under the license of Milton Bradley in a factory in Strasbourg (France). Optimus, Ironhide, Ratchet Mirage, Red Tracks, Soundwave, Starscream, Megatron and a few others. In 1984, Hasbro would buy out the competing toy company named Milton Bradley (MB), which whould result in the merged company briefly assuming the name "Hasbro Bradley, Inc." After the merger was completed, the company changed its name into simply "Hasbro, Inc." Milton Bradley's European facilities would also be used to manufacture the initial wave of Transformers toys to be released in Europe before the merger was completed. From that moment on the Toys came out of the company under the license of Hasbro.

Source: Hasbro - Transformers Wiki - Teletraan I

Now we have 2 waves of Transformers that came out of this factory. The MB 1984 TF, and the Hasbro 1984 TF. After 1984 Hasbro moved the production of TF to the "cheaper" countries for Mass distribution.

The Red Foot Optimus was in both runs (MB and Hasbro) in 1984. The bizarre part: There's also a regular footed MB and Hasbro made in 1984 in Strasbourg. I never got why they did that.

13. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Hey Ninety, saw the PM and headed on over :) 

Yes Megatron was produced in france, there is an MB Megatron and also a non-MB Megatron in multilingual Euro packaging.

In addition to that, it is believed that the Mexican IGA Megatron is also France stamped.

All the best
    Maz

14. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just looking at your articles Maz, I didn't realise that so many of the toy's that were not on sale in the UK (shockwave for example) were being made by MB. Does anyone know exactly why some of those toys never made it to the UK?

15. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Cheers Maz, I thought if anyone would know it would be you.

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thinking about it, it also occurs to me that quite a few of the moulds we didn't get were non-Takara moulds (Shockwave, as you mentioned, the Deluxe Insecticons, Roadbuster, Whirl). Offhand the only non-Takara mould I can think of that we got was Jetfire. Is that relevant to anything at all, or a completely unrelated brainfart?

17. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    It may have something to do with the nature of the licenses Hasbro held at the time. They may not have had the rights to distribute them in Europe, due to the deals they made with Toybox, etc. On the other hand, rights management may not have been that precise in the 80's, so it could be unrelated.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I always put it down to the UK being a smaller market so some toys were cut from the lineup for here; for example we got Grimlock, Snarl, Slag & Sludge, but we never got Swoop.

19. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Or Omega Supreme, Sky Lynx, Trypticon, Fort Max, the Constructicons, the Predacons...

Grr...

20. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I managed to get Sky Lynx from a Toymaster stoy, it must have been an import though. I think that the reason that Omega wasn't realeased over here was because another company called Grandstand were already using the mold for a line I think was called Converters. I had one of these and repainted it when I was a kid.