Was anyone else completely offended by how jazz was potrayed in the movie???

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by The-Return2005, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Return2005

The-Return2005 The last Sayian on Earth

Now i loved how Jazz looked, moved and transformed in the movie but his deep ass, stereotypical voice and attitude was completely out of line and uneccessary. "What up bitches" is not appropriate for Jazz's character just because he's suppose to have an african american voice. Jazz was not an ebonic speaking, deep voiced, thug in the origonal series so i dont understand why they would potray him in such a negative way in a live action movie especially in this day and age. Jazz's origonal character was a smooth and charismatic jive talker who was all about earths positive urban culture. Is it due to Michael Bays racism that he decided to alter Jazz's character from a positive and loveable african amercian to an ignorant nigger or was it the racist writers who did it? Either way me being both a #1 Jazz fan aswell as half african american am completely outraged and disappointed with the whole situation. Does anyone else feel this way about this especially since he was the only autobot to die?????????

2. Bombhunter

Bombhunter Merciless Always

Nope, not offended at all because: It. Was. A. Movie. I didn' t dig for subliminal messages, I took the whole film at face value. I'm sure you could find instances for all the characters, if you looked hard enough...

Along your same lines, since you wanna play the race card, I suppose Barricade should've fought with Jazz because Barricade was a police car, huh?

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, for fuck's sake. So now Michael Bay's a racist? What's the matter, run out of other insults to throw at him?

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

He was a fucking robot. Not an African American.

5. bushboy

bushboy Hardcore Decepticon

Us regular black people weren't offended at all, we quite enjoyed him. And isn't "jive talking" just as offensive? Along with the fact he always blasted loud music? That was a stereotype.

6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    :lolol 

I think he was the only autobot to die, not because he was Black but because he wa the smallest and stood up to the biggest guy. Maybe Bay's way of showing that little guys are tough too, and height doesn't make up for courage? I dunno. If the black guy was to die it would have been Epps and he lived.

7. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

By calling this potrayal of Jazz an "ignorant n*****", you're basically calling the majority of the mainstream hip hop stars that. The irony here is that this is also a form of racism.

BTW have you ever seen any of Tyrese Gibson's interviews? Not much different, they could have easily just cast him for the voice actor.

8. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    no

9. McBradders

Courage!

10. The-Return2005

The-Return2005 The last Sayian on Earth

Theres nothing subliminal about it. Everything was up front, but contrary to popular belief Black people do not greet people with "What up bitches" which was just short of "Whats good Niggas" but i guess they figured saying that would cause some problems. Either way i didnt see Optimus or any other cybertronian come up and say hey human what up bitch or any for shizzle my nizzles so why is it that only the black autobot has to go there?

11. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

They wanted the AUTOBOTS to be as diverse a group of characters as real people I guess. Taking JAZZ's performance to the extreme makes it more aparrent to the casual audience. Add to that JAZZ got his speak from the internet...

If IRONHIDE had died, I wouldn't have suggested Micheal Bay hates the English....

12. McBradders

Explain to me how a robot, who learned English from the INTERNET, is BLACK. Please, I would love to hear it.

I don't even consider G1 Jazz to be "black", it's retarded.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    What a ridiculous thread this is.
    Did I get bent out of shape by the Godawful characterisation of Red Alert in Cybertron? No.
    "Cor bleeding blimey Guv'nor! Have a cup o' tea!" Fucking drivel.
    At least it sounded like they actually GOT a Black American guy to do Jazz in the movie. Man. No idea you're even born, have you.

14. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

Maybe if Jazz had a red coating of paint on... *wink* *wink*

15. Bombhunter

Ok, then Ironhide is prejudice against Mexicans, because he wanted to shoot Mojo... Oh, and Ratchet was a racist too, because he didn't fix Jazz, but tried to fix Bumblebee...

16. bushboy

bushboy Hardcore Decepticon

I thought original Ironhide had a Texas accent? Sort of...Right?

17. Bombhunter

And when you get down to it...Ironhide was the only Black Autobot...Jazz was silver...

18. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

The original cartoon version yes, but apparently ( I haven't seen it yet) Movie IRONHIDE has an English accent.

19. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    He does, yes. Still, if Mel "I love fucking the English over in movies" Gibson had directed it Ironhide would have died when he landed. Prick.

20. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

No... he didn't sound at all British to me, P. At all.

Offended? No! That's ridiculous - it was well stated that they learned to speak out language from the World Wide Web. It was Jazz. It fit his character. End of discussion.

That's just way too touchy... I mean, did you not ever hear Scatman's version of Jazz in the cartoon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.