Wart World Hulk #4

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by tusko, Sep 20, 2007.

1. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Hmmm... filler for the big show down?

I felt little excitement for this issue. The Strange/Hulk battle made no sense to me. I really liked the speeches in the arena but I think those fights were shown too quickly. That could have been the epic focus of these issues, as allies are forced to turn on each other but it was just shoe horned in there.

What happened to Blackbolt and Strange? Why'd brainy Reed go all barbarian? Why was calling his Ironman armor impossible but taking over a host of alien Death head robots so much easier?

Finally for a series that is supposed to showcase the Hulk, he was used as a pin cushion ... again... and character was isolated in the story to reinforce he's a monster.

What are your thought?

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I quite enjoyed the issue...I guess the thing with the Strange-Zom thingy was kinda "rushed" as Pak simply wanted to give an example of Strange going "too far".

And although WWH is enjoyable to me, IMHO this series feels "rushed"...I believed that I read somewhere that some of the Marvel bigwig writers such as Miller (spelling?) weren't too keen on the WWH storyline and were eventually caught offguard by the decent sales.

By the way, can anyone confirm the rumors that the Hulk is going to "change" colour or is it a joke?

3. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Yeah, I too saw the half red Hulk.... I don't know what the deal with that is.
    http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=128804

Anyway I found there was some waffling here. Hulk saves the puny humans from the Dr. Zomm, but gives the thumbs down to Stark. Although he's established "never stop making them pay" a couple of hours in the ring seems to be enough.

I also don't follow the Sentry, have no idea what his powers are so it may as well be Squirrel Girl he's going up against in the final issue.

The big questions are being avoided though and that annoys me:
    Hero or Monster?
    Vengeance or Justice?
    What is he at war with, now that the big 4 are under his thumb?
    Has the Hulk truly become a King, or is he just a conquerer?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  4. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Thanks for the picture dude! Kinda curious by the red-half of the Hulk. For all we know, it could just be a "special effect" of sorts.

My take on the Hulk? All he wants is a measure of justice for what happened to his wife, unborn child and the innocents that died in Crown City. And yeah, to male the Illumanti pay for "playing God". I remember reading somewhere that WWH is the issue whereby the Illumanti gets their desserts of sorts.

However, the Hulk loses control in this issue and starts becoming what the Illumanti originally feared what he might eventually become - a life-threatening monster.

5. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    So why is the Sentry a resolution to this?

6. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Part of the retconned Sentry back story includes his partnership with Hulk. The Sentry's radiation calmed the Hulk and made him manageable. This incarnation of Hulk called him the golden man and they had many adventures as a crime fighting duo.

So, depending on what you think of the Sentry's back story, he and the Hulk have a long history and his powers give him a certain amount of control over the Hulk.

7. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yup, Gort summed it up pretty well. Anyway, I have this "ill feeling" that Marvel is using WWH to give the Sentry a big push. I also have a feeling that the Hulk may be er, de-powered down abit?

8. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

I wonder if Green Hulk is the "Gravage" version (a mix of "Gray" Hulk's cunning/smarts/personality with the "Savage" Hulk's power/strength) and the red version is when he really loses it, and for some odd reason that's how they're denoting it via color change.

9. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I hope they don't bring in the devil Hulk from the Jenkin's stories.

Grey, Green, Professor, Savage... I think that is enough.

10. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

You forgot Mr Fix-it hulk. He ruled because he had a tommy gun.

Anyway, the series is okay. I knew it would come to a Sentry/Hulk battle simply because of the backstory with the 2. best part of the issue though was the page of people saying why they think the Hulk should take over. The Inhumans one was the best because it's always the case. Any time the Inhumans or Atlanteans attack, Black Bolt or Namor always pulls the "They were going against orders" route and then everyone always turns around and goes, "Oh, then it's okay." Finally some realistic sense.

11. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I'm willing to bet that the Red King somehow infected the Hulk during their final battle ala Red Skull/that Russian Guy. This it'll be Marvel's way of absolving the Hulk after WWH is over.

12. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I mean after some point Black Bolt and Namor have to be held accountable for the actions of their fellows of sorts.

I'm also enjoying the series despite folks complaining about it being "rushed" and "fights being off-panel" and IMO, I hope we don't see any more new Hulks.

13. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

The only problem I had with it was the quick transition from "Hulk save humans" to "let'm die". And this after the Cho explaination that the Hulk doesn't kill, or something like that.

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey Hulk isn't the one killing, the heroes are killing each other heh.

15. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I hope its a test. The Hulk always finds a way not to kill, but when push comes to shove the "heroes" don't bat an eyelash and playing God and taking each other out.

I hope that is what the Hulk is trying to show the world. They heroes would find another way.

That said, the Hulk must kill Sentry.

16. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  I just noticed the misspelling in the title of this thread.

17. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I hope Hulk beats the crap out of Sentry, its been a whole asskickery funfest from issue 1 onward, and I don't want it to stop. It will be dissapointing if Sentry somehow wins and the Hulk gets shafted. Reed and Tony got what was coming to them, thats what happens when they manipulate everyone and try to get them to follow in accordance.

18. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Okay, I've gotta asked which book this took place in?

19. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I believe it was the Sentry meets Hulk one shot from when the original story hit.

20. Gears

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The recent Sentry mini-series from 2005 featured the Sentry and Hulk going to the negative-zone together to try to stop an evil villain named the General.