warning to ALL EBAY buyers

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Vexxet, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

ebay is currently in screw you mode.

I purchased this item.

Transformers G1 Springer New in European Box (Sealed) - eBay (item 230566061866 end time Dec-29-10 04:53:36 PST)

the item arrived to me completely annihilated. looked like some Singapore kids decided to play soccer with the box. I open a case and get my money back by sending the item back with tracking. here is the catch.

It costs me 38.75$ to send the item back with tracking. When I call ebay I basically get told there is nothing they can do for me.

so to sum up, they need the tracking number or I wont get my money back and when they get it I get left holding the bag on the return shipping cost.

Buyer BEWARE! I would not buy any items overseas or internationally. Ebay doesnt give a flying crap about you or your business. (ive been an ebay member since 99') and they basically told me they dont care if i bought another item off ebay or not ever again. I have the conversation with the "supervisor" on my phone recorded.

apparently i need to be clear.

the seller sent the item to me without tracking. i could have lied, but thats not even the point. i was making a side comment to the person who said i should have just said i never got it. i cant do that.

secondly the SELLER did not give me a return label.

EBAY DID.

the whole point of this thread is to warn people about how ebay treats their customers that did nothing wrong and paid extremely timely and curtiously.

Ebay extorts the buyers money until they get a tracking number that THEY require. when they get the number they really couldnt give 2 craps about you and what you did to get the number. For those that believe this is a fair policy, thats great. But this thread is here to warn other buyers that Ebay will screw you over given a chance to do so.

I could have returned the package for 12$ shipping first class. The package was 1 pound 8 ounces, but ebay REQUIRED me to send it internationally express with tracking. which cost an additional 26$. Absurd.

2. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Sheesh.. Nice heads up. I would maybe call again to try and speak with another supervisor, or ideally a higher up, and explain everything you just did. File a comment with the bbb too if nothing else ::shrugs::

3. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Post that conversation on YouTube and give us a link!
    Yea, it's buyer-beware world out there. It's also a seller be-ware world as well. I've heard of a lot of sellers getting ripped from ebay as well.
    Great place to find stuff, but kind of sucks for shopping and refunds.

4. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Well itsnt call evilbay for nothing....

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This the only reason it still in business is there there isn't any viable alternatives.

6. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    If people really did stop buying from overseas, some toys would become a lot harder to get a hold of.

What happened to you sucks.

This is why you should always pay though your credit card, so there's an extra fallback when Paypal and eBay drop the ball.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I don't know why this happens! :mad 

For some reason, if you are ever forced to return an item due to no fault of your own, they make you pay the return shipping costs. I have been told the same thing in the past when I've opened a claim against a seller (similar sort of deal actually with it arriving heavily damaged).

The only way I can think of to get round it is instead of claiming due to the item being damaged, just claim you never got it. Obviously this is very dishonest and doesn't work if the seller provided tracking information, but sometimes that's what eBay reduces you to.

I've never done this btw.

In my case, the item was damaged due to completely piss-poor packaging by the seller. At least you got your money back on the actual item.

It's a shame things like this happen as the majority of eBay users are decent people just trying to make a few quid or buy an item that they can't get in shops any more.

Problem is, the holes in their policies are so big you could drive Optimus Prime through them.

8. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

This has always been paypal's & ebay's policy.

You could keep the item, or return the item for a full refund minus new shipping cost.

Do you know of a better solution that protects both parties?

9. the11thdoctor

the11thdoctor Active Member

If you paid by Paypal you need to go through Paypal for resolution. Ebay really doesnt deal with anything financial that is why they bought Paypal. Plus you are 100% covered under Ebay buyer protection. File a claim and provide proof that you sent item back and you will get your money back. I have had this happen many times. Paypal is pretty good as long as you can prove you sent item back.

10. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

Your information is incorrect.

If you buy an item on ebay, you must go through the ebay buyer protection policy, instead of trying to go through paypal.

11. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Da Last is correct. The policy is that if you return the item, you have to pay the return shipping costs. If the judgement by paypal is that the buyer is eligible for a return, they have to mail the item back and provide tracking info to paypal. If that information is not received in a timely manner, the case is reversed in the seller's favor. The tracking requirement is to ensure that the seller can't go around and say they never received the returned package. That's there for your protection.

@Miscreant: Charging it on your credit card would not do anything for him. In a chargeback situation, the requirement by the CC company is that the buyer receive the original amount of the charge back, which is exactly what paypal will refund. They will not refund the return shipping costs either.

And yes, saying that you never received the item to get around the return shipping costs deal will not work if the seller has tracking, and most people are smart enough to put tracking on, if they don't already do that when they print shipping out via ebay.

You should not be complaining about this. Its standard policy, and if you don't like it, don't do ebay.

12. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

not really. I have returned two items in the past where they gave me a 10$ coupon or a free return label to use. Ebay just started saying screw you to me personally.

13. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

actually its not. i was given a return label for free to print out before. and then a coupon for 10$. this is totally new to me that they are screwing me over. They have my money and wont give it back to me UNTIL I provide the tracking number. Thats BS, and I dont see how they are not liable for extorting my money over a tracking number THEY REQUIRE and then wont pay for it.

I cannot cancel the credit card charge because then id be screwing over the post office.

I would have just reported I didnt get the item, but then I would have to have no soul. Looks like ebay is just fine without one.

14. motorhead9999

News Credits:
    No. If you said you didn't get the item, you would have lost your case outright because the seller would have had proof of delivery.

In my 5 years of doing ebay, both on the buying and selling side, I have never been reimbursed on return shipping costs, nor have I ever paid anyone's return shipping when I was on the selling side of things. Maybe you had a nice seller that gave you a return label, but that would be the exception, not the rule.

15. cutback4197

cutback4197 all roads lead to shame

Ebay:
    I recently won a case through ebay resolution center and they provided me with a UPS shipping label. It was domestic though.

16. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

apparently i need to be clear.

the seller sent the item to me without tracking. i could have lied, but thats not even the point. i was making a side comment to the person who said i should have just said i never got it. i cant do that.

secondly the SELLER did not give me a return label.

EBAY DID.

the whole point of this thread is to warn people about how ebay treats their customers that did nothing wrong and paid extremely timely and curtiously.

Ebay extorts the buyers money until they get a tracking number that THEY require. when they get the number they really couldnt give 2 craps about you and what you did to get the number. For those that believe this is a fair policy, thats great. But this thread is here to warn other buyers that Ebay will screw you over given a chance to do so.

I could have returned the package for 12$ shipping first class. The package was 1 pound 8 ounces, but ebay REQUIRED me to send it internationally express with tracking. which cost an additional 26$. Absurd.

17. motorhead9999

News Credits:
    Typically, international packages don't have tracking per se (not like the yellow tracking slips the post office uses). However, the customs forms themselves serves as a form of tracking. If you ship a package internationally from the US, you can use your customs form as a tracking number, and I've seen the same from sellers in the UK as well.

18. Vexxet

Vexxet Autocon

that was not good enough for Ebay. They needed the express tracking number that is provided with express shipping. They wouldnt take any other form of shipping. then after i delivered my part, they said cool thanks for being a great buyer, by the way that whole cost you just paid is on you. thank you come again!

19. TheToyAddict

TheToyAddict Well-Known Member

OP, the one thing I have not noticed in all of your posts is what was the response of the seller? All I saw was that your item arrived damaged and you opened a case. Did you try to work anything out with the seller prior to opening your case?

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I think you're referring to my post. I also need to be clear - I wasn't actually suggesting you should lie or make a false claim of any kind. I was just throwing out a hypothetical scenario where you could have come out without losing, financially if not ethically.

I wouldn't do that myself or recommend that anyone else do it. We seem to be a decent bunch round here on these boards when it comes to eBay and I hope it long stays that way.

I apologise for any confusion.