WARNING: TFSOURCE account billing info compromised! (May 2011)

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DarthMagnificus, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

I have been dealing with paypal tonite with a slew of unauthorized credit card purchases...end result...i updated my billing info on NOV of last year with TFsource with a paypal multiuse credit card # ...someone got that # and sent crazy with Itunes and other companies...just a heads up that folks might want to check their statements for any unauthorized purchases...i sent a email to TFSOURCE about this...

i have never used my account (paypal or TFSOURCE) on any other computers other than my own...i believe someone got this credit card # via this company as it is the only credit card on file with this company and this company only...

not making accusations about a company or employees but just want folks to avoid this crap and all the wasted phone calls i have had to make.

STAFF EDIT: Update from Curt, Owner of TFSource.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2010
  2. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    VERY glad I saw this thread. I checked my credit card online this morning and noticed I had a pending charge for $1 from "APL Itunes" and knew it wasn't mine (I don't use iTunes), so I had my card cancelled for fraud and am getting a new one. I can't decisively conclude it was TFSource in my case, since I use my card online for Amazon, BBTS and a few other places, but it seems like too much of a coincidence to be otherwise.

Check your statements, everyone.

3. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    First off, welcome to the boards. Second, thanks for the warning - I too have three itunes charges on my account. I also have my card registered on several sites so those will be updated shortly - TFSource is one of them.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  4. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

in my case TFSOURCE is the only place that had this credit card stored...and the CC # was generated way back on NOV 14th when i placed a preorder for the henkei jetfire.

I am sorry to see that others have been hit..but it seems probably more folks will see stuff as the day progresses...

5. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

so just to clarify, paypal and regular CCs have been hit?

also: FFS :/

6. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Why do these thieving bastards alway go the iTunes? Last time I had my information stolen, about two years ago, there was an iTunes charge. What is it about iTunes that draws them there?

7. Scantron

News Credits:
    Mine was a regular credit card, so it seems like it.

8. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

they've got my shiz on record so i pinged TFSOURCE a message via their webpage, asking if they were aware of teh problem and linking them to this thread. hopefully they'll be able to shed some light on the situation.

run through a small sum to see if the card number works and if it's detected, then buy something big at a later date if it isn't? if people don't check their cards then there is every chance you'll get away with something delivered to a physical address, if they do check the card and kill it then itunes is fairly anonymous as these things go.

9. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    confirmed... I got an email from Capital One about the itunes and canceled the card and am getting a new one. However, I have a pending order with TFSource. Should I not update the CC info and try to cancel the order? I don't want this happening again...

I was wondering how they got the CC.

10. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This should really be front-paged since they are a sponsor to the site and many people might not catch the $1 difference. Credit Card fraud is extremely serious, hopefully the admins do the right thing...

This should be elevated.

11. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just now got an email from my credit card company informing me someone bought itunes songs and asking me if it was legit. Then I come online and see this, now I know where they stole my number from. Wow. I only ever ordered one thing from TFSource too. I hope they catch who ever's doing this.

Also, props to Capitalone for catching this so fast (the charges were made today, for only about $2.)

12. Scantron

News Credits:
    Posted a link to this thread in the latest "SourceNews" thread in the News Forum (here). This is something people need to be aware of and maybe, in that thread, someone from TFSource might see it and comment.

13. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

They do that in hopes that you to use iTunes and won't notice a $1 charge when they test your card.

14. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy crap!

Just my luck, I made my first purchase ever from TFSource 2 days ago. I'll have to call my CC company to check for any of that

15. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

Glad I saw this. Yes, this happened to me too. The charges hit my account on Sunday.

I'm a long time customer of TFSource. Not anymore.

16. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I'm glad I never used TF Source.

17. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

just pwned my bank up and there is a £3 charge waiting to come off my card at the moment, although for some reason the girl on the phone couldn't tell me what it was, so they've 'put a note on my account'.

Grrrr, tfsource you incompetent bunglers! i was only telling somebody how ace you were the other day. And now this - as soon as i figure out how i can use this to my advantage to blag free stuff off you you'll be hearing from my Internet Lawyers. *waves fist*

18. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Shit. I'm so pissed off right now.

19. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Not sure if it will help (being most of their servers probably store/save ALL our information) but I was able to log into my TFsource account and change the CC information in this box (under "My Source")

I re-entered fictional numbers and updated to "all unshipped orders" then clicked "Change Payment"

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. lebowski

lebowski The Dude abides

You should be. I'm pissed about this.

My credit card account literally gets swiped in the exact same manner every 6 months, and I'm pretty sensitive about where I use it. I thought TFSource would be someone I could trust, given their fantastic service. Now that I think of it, that was kind of a silly thought. It's not like it's Amazon.com or Target we're talking about here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.