Warning: Avoid Ordering DOTM @ TRU

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Soundwave9, May 12, 2011.

1. Soundwave9

Soundwave9 Decepticon

News Credits:
    I ordered some items for my daughter at toysrus.com last week and needed some flller to reach $100 for the free shipping offer.

I ordered Voyager Megatron and some Cyberverse figures. They shipped Cyberverse Commander Megatron and Sentinel Prime a week before the release date.

I received the figures today in a bubble mailer envelope from TRU. I can't believe they would ship toys this way. The packaging was obviously ruined. The card and bubble were bent and crushed. The figures dont appear to be damaged but I planned to keep these for display MOC.

I'm going to contact their customer service department to leave them some feedback and see what they will do. I'm aware that I can exchange them in a store, but I received them before the release date and I don't know if I'll be able to find them on the 16th.

Update (5/14):

I called TRU customer service today. The CS rep on the phone said that bubble mailers are not a normal packing method for TRU. He worked in their online dept for years and they've always used boxes. He shipped out replacements via UPS 2nd Day which will arrive on Tuesday. When I asked where to ship the damaged figures, he said I should keep them.

That was my first call to their customer service and they went above my expectations to resolve the issue.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    I ordered some too. I got Crankcase, Roadbuster, and Sideswipe.

Mine came in a normal box though. There was no damage to anything.

3. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Its not like you wont be able to find new ones in a week or so. It does suck that they shipped that way though.

4. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Toys R Us is in the business of selling toys, not collectibles. They have no obligation to protect the outer packaging, given that their targeted audience is kids who will play with these toys. As long as the toy is in new condition, they have satisfied their obligation, and they make no guarantee about package condition on their site.

Stores like ToyArena, BBTS, etc., are in the business of selling collectibles, so they have a broader obligation to make sure outer packaging remains intact, and they take extra measures to make sure this happens.

If you're buying a toy as a collectible piece, you're better off buying from one of these stores, or going to TRU in person.

You can contact customer service, but they haven't done anything wrong. On a positive note, Toys R Us will accept returns and exchanges for 90 days with a valid receipt. I'm sure you will find a replacement at one of their stores by August.

-Silvershot

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol  Dude. I don't think a box is too much to ask.

6. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reminds me of when UK seller play.com used to carry TFs - sent in said bubble mailers! Thankfully everything I ordered arrived okay but someone on the boards received a very bashed TF1 Voyager Ironhide. :(  They eventually discovered the joy of cardboard boxes, but left out any sort of packing materials...

7. Soundwave9

Soundwave9 Decepticon

News Credits:
    I've ordered from TRU many times and they typically ship items in a box with some brown paper thrown in. Most items were in acceptable condition and I never complained or sent things back.

The bubble mailer was huge. I'm waiting to see if they stuff Voyager Megs in the same packaging. :) 

8. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    True. As long as the toy itself wasn't damaged, I wouldn't care.

9. Silvershot

News Credits:
    It's not, but he didn't ask for a box - just assumed that's what would happen.

10. Soundwave9

Soundwave9 Decepticon

News Credits:
    Update:

I called TRU customer service today. The CS rep on the phone said that bubble mailers are not a normal packing method for TRU. He worked in their online dept for years and they've always used boxes. He shipped out replacements via UPS 2nd Day which will arrive on Tuesday. When I asked where to ship the damaged figures, he said I should keep them.

That was my first call to their customer service and they went above my expectations to resolve the issue.

11. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice. Glad they took care of you.

12. GataKiriBaOOO

GataKiriBaOOO Got to Keep it Real

Let me sell you something, and I'll ship it in a plastic baggie with a label and some stamps thrown on it. Its just toys, and even if they get to you all smashed to bits, hey, they're meant for kids right, so its okay, right?

Boxes flow like wine, especially for a corporation who, you know, orders things that come in boxes, so putting something in a box is not a tall order. Hell, you can ship First Class in a box, and as long as it doesn't weigh over 13oz., it costs about $3 to ship, anywhere in the US! How about that?

13. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Let me first say: you're absolutely right on the facts.

However, this sort of situation falls under the old rule of thumb...people with good experiences tell one person and people with bad experiences tell at least four people. (You'll hear it fifteen different ways.)

Is it worth it for TRU to fight an unhappy customer? In this case, probably not...it's less than $100 worth of merchandise, there aren't any other companies involved, and it's probably an easy write-off.

I used to be in customer service for a web-based travel company and we had to hold the line really, really hard. The company might end up eating anywhere from a hundred to a couple thousand dollars if they didn't - and potentially anger airlines, hotels, etc. (And it really, really sucked telling people that they couldn't have their money back.)

14. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I'm in the UK and had the same experience (though the box came fine).

15. Silvershot

News Credits:
    I guess you missed the part where the toys were perfectly ok, but just the packaging was damaged. And when toys are shipped to TRU 8 to a box, and 8 people order 1 toy each, they are 7 boxes short. If you want to argue with me, and I highly encourage it, please make sure you read and understand what I have written, and then post a logical counter.

-Silvershot

16. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    tru insecticons...TRU.com shipped mine the same way

back when the G1 reissue insecticons were for sale...i found one set in a TRU here...and ordered a set via the TRU site...and got mine delivered in a giant brown bagged colored bubble mailer also...luckily the shipper who bagged it was kind enough to envelope it in a few layers of bubble wrap...freaking cheap ass bastards to ship like that....

17. Soundwave9

Soundwave9 Decepticon

News Credits:
    UPS delivered the replacement figures... in another bubble mailer!!

The packaging was in much better shape since it didn't have to go through the local post office. I think any TRU order under 1 lb will be packed this way from now on. It's probably an arrangement with UPS to keep shipping rates low.

18. Prowl 2009

Prowl 2009 A Decepticons Downfall

Nice to see they took care of you!