Fan Art: WARNING: 3D software scam!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Draven, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Hey all.
    It's gone 4am, and I really should be getting some sleep, but I wanted to post this as a little warning to anyone thinking of getting into 3D graphics and looking round for a decent piece of software to start with.

This actually came to my attention through an ad I saw on my Facebook a little while ago for a piece of 3D software called "Illusion Mage". The ad (and resulting site, which I will NOT link to) promised amazing results with next to no effort, art as good as pixar in a matter of hours, and so on. It even said "NO TALENT NEEDED".
    Needless to say, this is absolute bullshit.

Illusion Mage is a SCAM. It IS 3D software, yes, and it IS fully functional, but in reality it's a rebranded (and severely outdated) version of a 3D program called Blender. Blender is an open source 3D program, which is available as a free download.
    By contrast, Illusion Master costs nearly $100. Now while this would be a very good price for a decent, legit piece of 3D software it's a SHOCKING ripoff when you consider that Blender is available for NOTHING.

One of Illusion Mage's dubious selling points is the "hours of tutorials" it comes with. Whoopee doo; Blender has GOD only knows how many hours of FREE tutorials available. It's an excellent program, very well supported, and you do NOT have to pay for it.

Crap like this preys on the people who don't have a lot of money and want to get into the field; at a price like that it's very tempting to throw down the money, thinking you've just gotten a bargain. I would hate to think of anyone buying it and thinking they were getting a good deal. Most of the legit 3D programs have trial versions available. Try them out, and pick what's right for you. There are a fair few of us 3D artists here, and we're happy to help and advise. And remember, the proper version of Blender is a very good program, and it's free.

2. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the heads up Draven. I did google up the website for them, out of curiosity. Their whole site screams scam from top to bottom.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Certainly thanks for the head's up, man :thumb 

4. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks for the heads-up, Draven.

My word, that's shoddy. It's clearly relying on you not doing the research before plunging, because if you've seen a screenshot of Blender at all, you'll recognise it straight away.
    And if you read their copy. :lol 

"Feature 4: Realtime 3D/Game Creation"; the first thing it says?

:lol 

Nice try, dudes, but no cigar.

5. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks so much for the heads-up Draven, been thinking about 3D software and had heard about Blender and had heard several artists here use that software..but hadn't heard anything about the ripoff software.

Again, thanks!! :thumb