Warhammer

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Liokaiser, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Anyone here plays? What types of armies do you have? What do you recommed? Anyone have a Dwarves for sale?

2. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Used to play 40k a few years ago, Chaos marines(Must get some picks at the cool stuff tread) Was also planning an undead army.

3. Geekee1

Geekee1 Well-Known Member

I have a small hobby shop of unassembled/unpainted figures. I paint so slowly that I lose interest and move onto something else, and I've never gotten to play a proper game because of that. I do love modeling and painting though, and the figs are great.

4. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I was a 40k guy also. Prompting by a friend did get me started on painting up and spend crazy money on a Warhamemr Chose army. I never actually played a game with them though.

5. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

I am just getting into it. If you want a Dwarf army, I think there's the starter set for $60 (well, it;s $70 now...) that gives you a moderate army. Battle for Skull Pass. It's cheaper than buying the sets separately at the official site. Ebay is sometimes cheaper, but that's all I can think of.

"This boxed game contains: over 100 Citadel miniatures, forming two complete, plastic armies: Dwarfs (12 Dwarf Warriors, 10 Dwarf Thunderers, 8 Dwarf Miners, a Dwarf Thane, a Dwarf Dragon Slayer, a Dwarf Cannon and three crew) and Goblins (40 Night Goblin Spearmen, 20 Night Goblin Archers, 10 Forest Goblin Spider Riders, Night Goblin Big Boss, Night Goblin Shaman and a Troll)."

6. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

I used to play.

Then I had no money.

Lesson learnt.

7. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    The hobby is very expensive isn't it. I'm currently going to just search ebay till I find a good deal on a set. Dwarves/Dark Elfs/Beastman whatever army I get it's cool. I'm just not into the 40k stuff. Just fanasty for me.

8. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I would say get plastic troops when ever you can and plan out you army before you start buying. That way there is less risk of you spending lots of money on troops you never end up playing.

9. inferno4565

inferno4565 Master of Mudkips

Ah, Warhammer.

My local comic shop runs a tourney every week and its a good source to build up my armies. I have a 2 giant boxes crammed with miniatures thanks to my cousin.

Army wise I use a Tau army, pretty decent. I also have a Space Marine force and a Eldar force. I'm debating on trying out Tyranids.

10. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Warhammer and it's derivatives are expensive hobbies. There are some that aren't. Like Classic Battletech or using 1/72 Revell/Italeri/Zvezda miniatures for historical, tabletop battlegames.

11. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Looks like I won the other night. :D  Dwarves beat out the Orcs.

I did the stats last night, and you won the game, officially a Solid Victory. We were pretty even in war material with lots of units depleted, even down to half strength. So even though we were even there, what won the game for you?

In a word, banners. You won those two combats on the left side of the board at the end of the evening (the one where your thane and my Battle Standard Bearer were fighting) and the other one at the very edge of the board. My units fled, and they dropped three banners as they ran. Your pursuing units picked each of them up, giving you a three hundred point bonus (100 pts for each banner you gained). This 300 point bonus gave you the win.

Things I thought went very well for you:
    1. Your aim with the cannons was excellent, destroying both chariots.
    2. Your Thunderers (the handgunners had excellent shooting all night, really thinning out the ranks of my oncoming troops).
    3. Your Dwarf warriors fought very well, holding firm against a strong onslaught of Orc Savagery.

12. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

I love Warhammer. I like playing the game more than I enjoy painting though, which explains why I have so many armies with only a couple fully painted. Here's my armies:
    Fantasy: Vampire Counts (around 2500 points,painted), Tomb Kings, Orcs & Goblins, Beasts/Hordes of Chaos. Every army except VC I have about 2000 points worth with varying amounts painted.
    40K: Orks (around 2500 points, painted), Space Marines, Chaos Marines, Tyranids. As with Fantasy only the Orcs have a decent amount painted but the 40K armies are much smaller, floating at around 1000 points a peice.

I prefer Fantasy to 40K which explains why i have so many more models.

13. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

The storyline is pretty good too. Anyone got the paperback of the warhammer fantasy one, Forge of War? That was a good read. It was very fresh.

I got pretty bad scans of the army books if you want to browse their strengths and get a feel. I am got the new Warriors of Chaos codex too. I am wondering what the new Lizardmen codex is going to bring...:drool: 

I decided to go with Britonnia. Army-wise I am regretting it. Not very versatile as the other armies and certain lacking in every area except for cavalry after getting the codex. Other than that, everything else to Britonnia was pretty damn good.

I definite like the models though. I think I am just going to collect various models from various armies, then try getting an army up and running. So far all I got is a Britonnia lord as my army.

I definitely will not be painting my stuff though. I am pretty damn bad. 40k seems to be more popular in my area. Not sure why...

14. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Use to have a 40k nergul army, but sold it like an idiot :( 

15. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

Playing Fantasy here, with Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings. I have a lot of stuff to paint thought, I buy faster than I paint! The hobby can get pretty expensive, but I buyed a lot of stuff before the recent price increase, so I have a lot of boxes still waiting for my attention :p 

16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not to mention the newer starter sets, rediculously cheap source of models if your going to play one of the armies in them.

I don't personally consider it to be that much of an expensive hobby considering the amount of time you get out of your investment and that most of the outlay is at the start, you only have to keep spending money if you want to or lack any sort of self control.

17. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Seems to me that need to get something and lack of self control are synonomous with most of the Warhammer players I know.

[​IMG]

18. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still have fairly large Slaanesh Chaos Space marines and Crimson Fists Armies kicking arround, but stopped working on them, arround the time TF Armada came out.

Have added a bit here and there, but haven't played seriously in at least 4 years.

19. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used to be into 40k, Space Marines mainly, but I sucked at playing it, I also hated painting rank-and-file.

Hmmm... that must be over 15 years ago now.