Warhammer and Warmachine

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Liokaiser, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was wondering if we have any newer players in here. I've been playing Warhammer Fantasy for a few years now. I have at least a 4500 point Dark Elves army though I could use some more Harpies. Recently I've been trying out Warmachine. Any Warmachine players in here?

2. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    Doesn't this go in the Video Game/Technology Forum instead of the Toyark? LOL

3. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

I do play Warhammer. Well I've had very few gaming opportunity lately so I rarely "play" it, but I'm still working on my neverending armies though :p  I'm an undead player at core, so have both Vampire and Tomb Kings, plus I built a "small" Empire army early last year. I have about 6-7k of each undead army, plus about 4-5k of Empire. Most of it is unpainted sadly, but working on it, slowly, very slowly ;)  I prefer to work on the models (building and converting) than painted anyway :D 

Psst, don't tell anyone, but I also kinda semi-started collecting some Dark Elves too. I really don't want to start a fourth army, so for now it's only a character here and there, but if there was ever some Witche Elves in plastic somewhere, I know I won't resist!

4. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Nope, they're miniatures games first and foremost, so i'd assume that Toyark is about right.

As for myself, I collect Games Workshop, although rarely these days (last purchase was to try out Fine Cost, I don't suppose I'll be buying much else for a while) - prices are too damn prohibitive, now I mainly do historicals, from the Perry Twins, and Warlord Games (both run by ex and current GW staffers, and very high quality.) Working on an Imperial Roman force right now, gonna pick up some Celts later on.

When I do play, I tend to play solo, this is mainly due to having never actually met a warhammer player I liked in the flesh. Online there's plenty of nice guys, but seemingly my area is infested with children, manchildren, cheaters or rules lawyers. So I never bother.

Solo games suit me anyway, I can leave them and pick them up whenever I want. I've never been very competative (tending to play even videogames even on the easiest difficulty) - for me it's about narrative and spectacle, something that's tricky to get otherwise.

No rumors of Dark Elves on the horizon I'm afraid - looking like vamps and Dwarfs soonish, though. Seems they're getting all the 'odd magic' races done first, to reconcile them with 8th edition's new rules.

However, Mantic does some GW scale/style Dark Elves. Only a sorceress right now, but they do lots of plastic kits, so it's worth keeping an eye on.

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Hom...n/Product/Twilight-Kin-Sorceress-Blister.html

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  5. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Dark Elves are fun to play with. Witch Elves are awesome. I have 48 Witch Elves models. Gott love the frenzy three attacks posion on a roll of six. I ran them in smaller units of eight. And if you use the Witch Queen Hellebron she hit's on a strenght 10 using that sword.

6. Skywave

You know, I've though a few time about solo games, ever to wonder if such a thing was possible. Since some can play chess alone (and probably other games), I though it could be possible, but never actually tried. Nice too see someone actually doing it!

As for the rumors, I had more in mind something either Mantics (though they seems to be more into their futuristic game right now), or the more heavily rumored Avatar of War plastics, with their next plastic projet points toward some female elf warrior-thing (aka Witch Elves). Their Slayer kit look like it's been a hit, so they'll probably continue to make others.

The only things that bugs me is that I though about a Witch Elves/Khainite army somewhere in 7th edition, were it wasn't all that good. Now it seems to be the ultimate meatgrinder unit and everyone use it :(  But since it's a very very long-term, not-so-planned project, I could end up doind it in 9th edition or beyond :D 

7. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I play 40K and just now getting into Dark Age: Apocalypse. Never played any Warmachine, although I like the look of the Cryx.

Space Wolves is my main 40K army (2000 pts) and also have a small Necron army (900pts? have to check the new codex).
    In Dark Age I'm working on the Brood.

I'm really into the hobby aspect of it. In fact, outside of toy robots and video games, tabletop gaming is a rather big hobby of mine.

8. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I heard about the AoW follow up to the berserkers too. Hopefully something pans out, I heard the slayers were pretty good.

When it comes to soloing, GW's systems aren't particuarly friendly to having one player be automated, so I view it as a role-playing exercise (since there's none of those around here either, and I don't have the time/resources to put into it, no matter how much it might appeal to me creatively). Role play the generals, make their decisions. Good fun, actually, particularly trying to figure out how an Orc thinks, rather than simply power combo-ing and making sound tactical choices.

(It boils down to "KICK 'IM!" most times.)

9. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

Play both 40k (For the Emperor!) and Warmachine (For the Motherland!). Both are fun. Warmachine is more of a smaller scale army and the use of "focus" for the Warcaster to be able to control the machines AND cast spells brings an intresting dynamic that 40k doesnt have. Now Hordes.......thats were the the fun is! :)  Insted of focus you have fury. And your beasts generate it every turn. Too much and they go bezerk. So you have to take it off them every turn to keep them inline. Now that takes some tactical thinking lol

10. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I've been really attracted more to skirmish type wargames these days, even with 40K. It's just getting to be too much effort to get a big game going without going to a local gaming center, and of THAT....not much of a fan. I prefer to play with friends rather than strangers and a good 500-700 point skirmish is good fun!

I really need to give Warmahordes a go at some point.

11. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to play 40K when 3rd edition came out but I lost interest and sold all of my stuff (Eldar and Khorne Beserkers). I still really like the mythos though, and we're currently playing a game of Dark Heresy. Really fun stuff :D 

12. Skywave

I don't want to start a fourth army, in this case Dark Elves, but you know how it goes, when you start thinking about it there's no turning back. So I yet again went against reason and bought a few more characters :lol 

I got the old Talisman Sorceress and an old metal Sorcerer from ebay (are sorcerer still in the fluff? I think not, I don't remember seeing anything but women spell caster in recent Dark Elves lore). And I just ordered the female Dark Elf BSB (Bane Legion figure) and the Avatar of War Dark Elf Queen, wich should make a great Hag if I give her both sword.

I'm so weak :( 

:D 

13. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    I purchased a lot from ebay, but the seller just put all the models in a box with some peanuts and the models came very beat up. The box had a rip on the side and I think some pieces fell out. :(  I just shipped back the package today as I didn't want to deal with trying to fix those models. I haven't played this game yet, but I really want to try it out, that's one of the reasons I started this thread.

Please post of picture of your Warmachine models. The Hordes sound like it would be more for to play with than Cryx.

14. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Theres a huge wargaming community here in wichita ks. Both for warhammer, warmachine and every single other wargaming out there (our group loves to try out new wargames, and we have an awesome supported store). I used to play warhammer like a fanatic but got tired of GW's buy more models scheme. I have a pretty big and decently painted menoth army.

Heres a few pics of minis I've painted over the years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the sub-par quality. Took those real quick one day on the iphone.

15. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    O wow....I could use that Sorceress on Cold One, it looks fanstatic. If possible could you explain alittle bit about the Menoth army.

16. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    She looks a lot better in person. I've won a few painting contests with her.

Menoth are a warmachine faction that are heavily influeniced by their religion of their god menoth, they are often referred to as menites or something in the cannon. Their not above using slaves from other nations or converting by force. They can be considered both good and bad. The floating girl for example is a warcaster that has reached enlightenment and has powers bestowed by menoth himself. She floats and can never touch the ground which is why she has priests pulling her around. Oh! and their god menoth is a warjack called the Avatar.

Menoth have very hard hitting jacks that are big and tough but slow, which is further enhanced by tons of support spells from other units.

[​IMG] Avatar

[​IMG]- warcaster

And here is Spifficus. Hes run many suicide missions for my 40k army.
    [​IMG]

Heres a few more jacks

[​IMG]

17. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

I'll see what I can do. I had a couple of pics of my Cryx stuff, but lost them when my computer shit itself a few years ago :lol 

18. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Now I can't decided which Warmachine army I want to get. Any suggestions?

19. Fez Findie

Fez Findie Well-Known Member

Warhammer 40K is celebrating its 25th anniversary on 25th of February, today by Finnish time XD

Been gettin' into it myself once more; Collecting Crimson Fists and Orks (with Deathskulls colors)

[​IMG]

Warhammer 40,000 25th Anniversary | Games Workshop

20. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I understand they wanted to update it, but I'd have been more into the anniversary figure if it'd had that Rogue Trader style to it. As it is, now it's just another Marine.

I kinda wish they'd done a limited re-release of the first Space Marine plastic set too, perhaps just for this year, direct only.