Warhammer 40K Feature Film

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Paladin, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. hupla

hupla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Let me be the first to say

DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR!

And I am SICK AND TIRED OF THE ULTRAMARINES

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope this film will be faithful to the over-the-topness that the mythos is. Given the recent WH40K games that have come out, I'm a tiny bit surprised this isn't about the Blood Ravens.

4. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Blood for the blood god (I only play Dawn of War though, not the table top)

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

5. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Like when the live action TF movie was first announced, I am both very excited and very nervous about this.

Why Ultramarines though? ...might have something to do with the upcoming Space Marine game which features the Ultramarines.

6. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

Im sick of Space Marines period. My orks don't stand a chance of making it across the field when my buddy plays with 3 Thunderfire cannons.

Or perhaps it could be Ultramarines because GW just absolutely frikkin loves to make them Ultra-special-idiot proof-Marines. That and they are the most generic Marines. Personally? I'd rather see an Angels of Death movie since Blood Angels and Dark Angels technically came first.

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not convinced personally.

They'll probably be wanting to sell this to the kids and the DOW market, so it'll probably be light on the soul destroying misery and nilhilism.

8. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Huh, I always thought that Chaos was GW's love child, and that the Spess Mehreens (specifically the Ultras) were just the poster boys.

Either way, it's the usual wait and see approach for me.

9. BradTheMad

BradTheMad Well-Known Member

Well I'm wondering if this will ever see the day of light...
    I'm also so sick of the smurfs featuring every damn 40K product lately. The whole Codex SM's could be called Codex Ultramarines, new Black Library books are almost all about them too.

*pets Emperor's Children army in a very kinky way*

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    well i hope this one doesn't come out badly as most movies based on Video games have *cough*supermariobrothers*cough*

11. RabidYak

40k is tabletop game with videogame spin-offs, not a videogame itself.

I expect that it'll be fairly immune to the problems that videogame adaptions usually have, namely lack of plot and things that are interesting to watch if your not interacting. Its got more backstory then an entire shop full of videogames combined and it'll be hard not to find something to put on screen when the entire universe is built on the rule of cool.

The biggest pitfall is that the Space Marines will probably be depicted as the heroic defenders of a beligured humanity rather then as the ruthless shock troops of a rotting fascist theocracy.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    true enough but we will have to wait and see if it escapes the curse or not

13. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hmm... This could be very interesting, especially if it ends up being the first of a series.

14. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I guess they're using Ultra Marines because they're the most simple of all the Space Marines. I dont think it's a bad way to introduce the W40k universe to the big screen.

15. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

I'll admit they buffed the Chaos Marines up with the newest Codex, but they also took so much away from them. How I loved ym cheesy 4 Heavy Support Iron Warriors army....I miss the cool daemons actually being a part of the CSM codex. I think alot of my (and other people's) problem with the vanilla Marines is that they get at least 1 new Codex per Edition whereas I had to wait for-frikkin-ever for my Orks to get some GW love.

16. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I want to see Imperial Guard in action. I want "Aliens" type action sci-fi flick of Imperial Guard defending planets from Tyranid menace. I've had it over my eyebrows with Space Marines. If there's something I hate about WH40K it's Space Marines, Chaos and Orcs. I can swallow Eldar, but I hate SM because GW just keeps cramming them down people's throats, and I hate Chaos and Orcs for the sheer amount of cheese associated with them. On the other hand I find Tyranids, Necrons and Tau as a worthy part of the WH40K universe.

17. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Dark Eldar not getting any love either. But this thread is probably not for discussing such things.

Although this being merely an announcement with no release date, pictures or hints as to what direction this film will take, there is not much to discuss...

18. RabidYak

Marines, Orks, Eldar and Chaos bascially are the 40k universe and have been since virtually the begining. Tau and Necrons are the sideshows since they arrived well after the universe was properly established and its not like robot undead and anime space commies are any better as design concepts then space elves and genetic supermen. Nids arrived just a little bit too late to have defined the universe like the others, but they do deserve credit for moving beyond the blatant Aliens rip-off they started as.

Marines are overpromoted because they've always sold the most anyway and because they're the entry level army for new players.

Orks will be Orks. If anything, trying to make them more serious made them less interesting since they lost most of the crazy random fun they had in the first couple of editions.

The problem with Chaos IMO is that they have great and diverse background, but have had generic rules and models in more recent years. Armies of mutated noise-shooting marines, brainwashed cultist meatshields or shambling warriors of pestilence are all really cool, but generic marines with horns and a few crumbs of the cool sounding stuff isn't really that interesting.

Eldar are awesome, an army based on sheer skill and great visual design thats needed very little revision beyond just updating the models to newer standards. Arrogant older race isn't really anything original, but theres enougth stuff added onto that to make them interesting.

19. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

[​IMG]

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I love the space opera-ness of 40K, and I love how over-the-top dark it is.

I don't play the game, although I have, and I've played DoW. I've also read a few of the books as throwaway airplane or vacation books, and if anything, the EXTREMEness of the whole thing makes storytelling without the setting difficult. Not impossible, not at all, but difficult.

I'll hope for great visuals and be pleased if I get a good plot.