War Within VS. War for Cybertron

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Aug 10, 2010.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

OK War Within and War for Cybertron both have G1 style Transformers with Cybertronian alt modes. My question is that while comparing these characters to their G1 Counterparts, which version of the characters look like they could actually be the Cybertronian versions of the G1 characters.

The ones I've seen so far are...

Optimus Prime: While I prefer the vehicle more of War Within Prime I don't think the robot mode matches up to G1 Prime like the War for Cybertron version.

Bumblebee: This is a hard choice because the vehicle mode of War Within Bumblebee is based off of the vehicle mode seen in the pilot of the series but while looking at the robot modes I think War for Cybertron does a better job of matching the bulk of the original character. Over all though I still think the vehicle mode should be more like what was seen in the cartoon so I'm going to say War Within wins this one.

Ratchet/Ironhide: I'll do these as one because they originally shared the same mold. The War Within versions seem to be based on their toy designs which were horrible and looked nothing like the cartoon so War for Cybertron wins by default.

Sideswipe: I can't find pictures of either of their vehicle modes but on robot modes, War for Cybertron looks more like the G1 character even down to the tires on his shoulders however I'm not sure I even like the idea of tires on cybertronian vehicles. I'm going to call this one a tie.

Jetfire: I think War for Cybertron wins this one. I don't know where his cockpit ends up or what his vehicle mode even looks like but the War Within version doesn't even transform like Jetfire and the vehicle mode makes him look like Cyclonus.

Jazz: War Within's vehicle mode is based off what we saw in the cartoon and I can't find a picture of the vehicle mode for War for Cybertron Jazz so just based of robot modes I'd say War for Cybertron wins. (If you can show me a pic of the vehicle mode for War for Cybertron Jazz I might change my opinion.)

Omega Supreme: They both look good but just based on coloring, War Within wins. I actually like War for Cybertron design more but he'd be more like the G1 version if the coloring was better.

Megatron: War Within wins hands down. The vehicle and robot modes are perfect for what G1 Megatron could have been.

Soundwave: Though I like the War for Cybertron version I think War Within looks more like the original character.

Rumble/Frenzy: The War for Cybertron versions are nice redesigns but War Within look more like the G1 versions.

Laserbeak: Again, I like the War Cybertron version, or what I seen of it, but War Within looks like the Cybertronian Laserbeak we saw in the pilot of G1.

Starscream: Now I seen some footage of him in game and it looks like he has two different vehicle modes, one that looks more like what we saw in the cartoon than the other. However I think based off the robot modes War Within looks more like the G1 character. (and though not really compeating, Cybertron seems to be based of the War Within version of himself.)

The finnal score for me is...

War Within: 8

War for Cybertron: 6

And just so there's no confusion, I'm not saying these are all ment to be the G1 counterparts, this is just for fun. All you're doing is judging the Cybertronian designs based on which one you think looks more like their G1 counterpart. Some of these are tough calls for me because they're both good in some ways.

Oh and I didn't bother judging characters who either never had Cybertronian modes in the cartoon because they were originally built as Earth vehicles like the Airalbots, or built on Earth like the Dinobots and Combaticons. And I didn't look at characters who never even had Earth modes like Shockwave because this is kind of to guess what the G1 characters would of looked like on Cybertron and what's the fun of looking at characters who never changed from Cybertronian to Earth alt modes?

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Well, couldn't find any pictures for you but I did find video. He transforms at 0:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PapRzDacqeg

3. SaberPrime

Thanks, not the best view of him though. He does seem to have the same basic vehicle mode but it looks like the front of the vehicle might be wider than it should. Overall though I think I still like the War for Cybertron version better based on what I can see of him.

4. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    For me the War Within designs come closer to looking like their Earth bot modes, but, I think that was only done so we'd know who was who.

5. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

Optimus Prime: WFC
    Bumblebee: WW
    Ratchet/Ironhide: WW
    Sideswipe: WFC
    Jetfire: WFC
    Jazz: WW
    Omega Supreme: WFC
    Megatron: WFC
    Soundwave: WW
    Rumble/Frenzy: WW
    Laserbeak: WW
    Starscream: WW

That's 7-5 WW for me.

Aside from WW using many of the Cybertronian alt-modes seen at the start of "More Than Meets The Eye, Part 1", I actually like the fact the way Figueroa incorporated elements of their toy counterparts into Ratchet's and Ironhide's designs (since their toys are pretty goofy-looking otherwise). Not to mention the fact that too many of the alt-modes for WFC to me have that same 'land rover' look to'em, whereas WW's alt-modes were more distinct - although truth be told, I actually like the idea of Megatron as a hover-tank because ditching the treads makes his robot mode look less clunky IMO.

6. The touch79

The touch79 Sparticon

I love pretty much all the war within designs over the WFC designs except WFC Prime and shockwave are winners!

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I just see each incarnation another interpretation of TRANSFORMERS. I don't try to compare and contrast things like Transformers The War Within and Transformers: War for Cybertron. I like to enjoy things they way they are, I suppose [for the most part] :) 

Considering the above, to answer your question I think each version could work for Cybertronian versions of these characters. I think each creative team has done a great job on their respective work. :) 

8. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    QFT!

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, don't get me wrong, as I certainly see the desire to have one "cannon", but I'm just one of those who doesn't have to have that.

I also see the intent of the thread author here, and like what's going on with the comparison/contrast for discussion's sake. It's interesting, but I really enjoy having a slew of interpretations of our favorite characters and toys :) 

10. Nightmare966

Nightmare966 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just have to say... WFC goes with the "Prime" continuity, so...

Anyways, what Supersquad7 has said. Every team does their beast (usually : P) to deliver us nice looking robots!

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I prefer the War within work.

12. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I love the Don Fig War Within/Stormbringer designs. It was so amazing to finally see cybertronian modes for my favorite characters, and so amazingly done. Something about the Aesthetic of the WFC designs don't match up as well, but I still love them. As well as WFC's overall feel for cybertron. They did an excellent Job and a really like many of the designs like Warpath and Soundwave. The WWI seekers though are pure and total win.

Edit: I am not a huge fan of War Within Megs like you are, but Stormbringer version is amazing.

13. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    hey WFC could be really awesome it's just starting out, but WW continuity is established and epic. So for now WW but mabee if they keep on working this WFC story well mabee.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I like both. They're a similar premise but different.

15. SaberPrime

There's a few people that seem confused about a couple things despite my better efforts to avoid this kind of confusion in the original post.

This is not an attempt to mix or confuse these 3 different continuities.

This is not a contest of which continuity is better.

This is a just question of who, in your own opinion, is the best Cybertronian likeness of their G1 name sakes.

The main reason for me asking a question like this is because we never really saw what the G1 character's looked like on Cybertron. We saw alt modes of a few characters such as Bumblebee, Wheeljack, Soundwave, Jazz, and Laserbeak but their robot modes in the cartoon were exactly as they were on Earth. (I don't think we ever saw Laserbeak transform on Cybertron.)

I think the creators of War Within and War for Cybertron were both trying to correct the mistake of G1 and redesign the characters as they would of appeared on Cybertron but at the same time neither of them is really sticking to the G1 story line.

Of course all continuities are based off G1 but we really only have these two which are set on Cybertron and I'm just curious which of the Cybertronian counterparts to the G1 characters everyone likes more.

This was only meant to be based on the DESIGNS of the characters.

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'm not sure if you're directing this towards my posts (which is why I was clear that I did get your intent with your thread), but my response still remains "yes", simply put. I really just like to see many varieties of designs made, and enjoy them each for many different reasons.

I may not be the most helpful in this thread, admittedly, since I'm not a "favorites" type of person.

17. SaberPrime

It wasn't directed at any one person in particular otherwise I would of quoted them. Just as I was reading threw the replies I noticed a few that didn't seem like they understood my intentions when creating this topic.

18. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I like them both personally. Just 2 different takes on the same basic story. The events leading up to the Transformers arrival on earth. I think both styles are cool in their own way.