War Within Skywarp

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Incepticon, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I've been sporadically on & off the boards for a few weeks due to a bunch of things going on, so I apologize in advance if this has already been addressed in redundant detail.

I know Hasbro (apparently) said @ BotCon that they stopped the 6" Titanium line and would not release anymore figures past WW Grimlock and WW Prowl. But did they officially say that WW Skywarp was indeed cancelled as well? Was anything further said about it @ SDCC last week?

I'm asking because after seeing WW Skywarp's name printed in the Titanium catalogue as an upcoming figure, I more or less built my entire Titanium collection under the distinct impression that we would have a complete set of the original 3 Seekers in WW form *because* Hasbro "confirmed" it in print. Hearing that this figure in particular is probably cancelled came as a serious blow to the collector system, so I'm trying to find out if there is (still) any hope at all of it getting made... whether it's a store/club/convention/etc. exclusive or whatever.

Or is this probably a closed case and I should stop holding my breath? :) 

I honestly find it odd that no one else here has really made noise about this or addressed it in any sort of detail beyond "that sucks" in response to the news that it may not happen. Are there really that few of us who care about it and/or collect the WW stuff? Being that it's just a repaint, I dunno, it seems that it *should* be possible to get Hasbro's attention and have them do it, even in just a limited run if necessary.

2. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Er, I've not heard anything new either so I guess its still "cancelled".

3. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Well, even if it's cancelled as a normal release, I certainly hope there's still *some* way that Hasbro will make it available. More to the point, I certainly hope there are enough people willing to champion the cause of getting it made at all.

*still can't believe they made WW Sunstorm instead of Skywarp before the line got cancelled*

4. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

i read somewhere on the boards, (may have been from nevermore)

that there was a rumor that the soundwave repaint into soundblaster may end up being a target exclusive, so im assuming the same could happen with skywarp. IT would really suck if we didnt get him, its such a great mold

5. BaronV

BaronV MonsterOfTheWeek.com

I would like to have Skywarp as a Titanium, even bought WW Starscream for a repaint, but since their canceling the entire 6" line I doubt that they would do even an exclusive since no retailer would likely carry it. It was noted also from the SDCC or Botcon recap that the designers for the Titanium line knew of no plans to release a Skywarp version. I feel that once a line is discontinued, it's pretty much dead. Time to hope that WW Prowl and Grimlock pop up as planned.

6. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I'll need to buy another Starscream/Thundercracker/Sunstorm for a repaint then, I guess.

7. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I wouldn't be surprized if the fate of the 6" titanium line changed in light of how well they are moving now. They seem to be flying off the shelves thanks to the movie toys. Every time I have seen them stocked over the last 2 1/2 weeks they are off the shelves in a day. One may sit for 2 days, but that's it. I even heard some of the pions at Target chatting about how WWI SS is never on the shelf for more than an hour. Hopefully Haasbro rethinks the line with this new found success.

8. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah but are the sales because the kids think they are cool or because there is nothing else on the shelf?

9. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's funny, because WWI SS is all that's sitting on my local Target's shelf these days. Been there for a good three days.

10. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

They're cancelling the line?

Aw, I liked the 6" titanium. :( 

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Well, cancelled might be the wrong expression.

Basically at Botcon we were told that of the three sub lines (Titanium, Alternators, and Classics) that Hasbro could only afford to keep the one going after the Movie (i.e. reverting to the mainline / subline format of past years). The decision was taken to run with Classics 2.0 because it was the most successful and popular series, and also because it was a good outlet for "realistic" vehicle transformers as a contrast to the Animated series.

When you bear that in mind, losing Alternators and Titanium isn't so bad - Classics 2.0 still gives us updated original guys like the lambo brothers and Octane (seriously, Octane! When was the last time he got any love? You can say Titanium gives us lots of obscure characters, but in light of Octane I think it is safe to say that Classics 2.0 might carry on the trend)

12. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    That's incorrect. WW Skywarp was printed right in the catalogue/checklist that came with the 6" Titaniums and was 1 of 4 remaining figures that were "confirmed" to come out after WW Sunstorm & WW Ultra Magnus, so there definitely *were* plans to release him. The other 3 figures were WW Grimlock, WW Prowl & G1 Soundblaster w/ Ravage. For whatever reason, they apparently chose to still give us Prowl & Grimlock (which is awesome) but brought the axe down on Skywarp & Soundblaster. What makes it a hard pill to swallow beyond the fact that we were specifically told we'd be getting characters that have since gotten cancelled and that we once again have an incomplete set of Seekers is that WW Sunstorm & WW Ultra Magnus should have never happened in their place. They were filler - Hasbro knew it and the fans knew it - and I'll bet a lot of money that the luke warm response to those figures in particular were the final straw that made them decide to finally kill the line.

All good points Sol, but imho, the continuation of Classics doesn't negate the blow some of us War Within collectors were dealt by the cancellation of the Titanium line. To be honest, I wasn't even expecting that many of them (WW figures) in the first place. But to be told you're getting Skywarp and then have it cancelled at the 11th hour is dirty pool, especially after many of us made a concerted effort to get Thundercracker & Starscream under the distinct impression that the Seeker set would be complete. It's one thing if they never dangled that carrot in front of us at all and we just hoped for it, but they *did* dangle it in this case... and even printed it right in the Titanium character catalogue. At the very least, Hasbro should have finished off what they already announced and THEN cancelled the line. As I see it anyway.

I know it's all probably a lost cause at this point, but there's still a part of me that hopes we (all 4 of us who apparently care) can convince Hasbro to at least give us this character (and even G1 Soundblaster for those who want it) as store or club exclusives... or something. Hell, even if it's for BotCon 2008... I don't care how it long it takes :) 

13. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Doesn't matter much to me....I have Classics Starscream & Skywarp wondering where there brother is...and Ramjet sits all alone..........but that is a can of worms I don't wanna open!

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You mean the Botcon exclusives? :ev: 

15. BaronV

BaronV MonsterOfTheWeek.com

Does anyone have the pics of the prototypes of WW Prowl and Grimlock and the other ones that will not be produced. I've read that the run for Grimlock and Prowl is going to be small, any idea how small and if that a Q4 release or an early 2008 Q1 release for the remaining WW toys?

I can take the hit of the 6" Titanium line even though that was the only ones I collected if they moved some of the designs to Classics 2.0. I would like to still see some of the WW designs come up as Classics. How about a WW Trypticon classic or the rest of the Dynobots?

16. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

The facts as I know them are as follows:

1. A catalogue released with one of the recent Titanium figures listed five upcoming figures: Primal Prime, Soundblaster, Grimlock, Skywarp, and Prowl. No other clarification was supplied, but it was assumed that Primal Prime would be a repaint of Optimal Optimus, Soundblaster would be a repaint of Soundwave, and Skywarp would be a repaint of War Within Thundercracker.
    2. At BotCon, the Hasbro guys announced that the 6" Titanium line would be cancelled. The last figures released will be Grimlock and Prowl.
    3. Primal Prime and Soundblaster were on display at BotCon. They are repaints as expected, though Soundblaster comes with Ravage instead of Laserbeak or Buzzsaw.
    4. When asked at BotCon, the Hasbro guys were unaware that a Titanium Skywarp figure was in the works.
    5. Titanium figures are made by Galoob, not Hasbro.

We've seen Primal Prime, Soundblaster/Ravage, and Prowl. We have not seen Skywarp or Grimlock, though unlike Grimlock, Skywarp doesn't require a new mold to be made.

I'd say Skywarp's fate is entirely up in the air. Kind of appropriate for a Seeker, actually. :wink: 

17. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  18. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I have the checklist you are talking about that is why the question was asked at botcon what happened to the remaining titaniums and basically their response was.
    No mentions of Alternators or Titaniums - had to make some choices based ... $2 million dollars invested in Alternators and die-cast in Titaniums ... Hasbro wasn't getting a return on their investment with those lines so they decided to focus on Classics 2.0 Taken from Seibertron.com
    Also
    Titanium will end with WW Prowl and WW Grimlock.
    One of the problems with the Titanium and Alternators is that the momentum is hard to keep up. Sounds like those lines just weren't selling.

Now with that said these guys have been released in pairs and Skywarp does not have an Autobot friend to come out with. Now they (Hasbro) says that he is not being produced now that not saying we will never see him. He could be a Botcon or a SDCC exclusive or even a Target, Toys R Us, or Walmart exclusive. They are just saying he is not in production.
    G1 Ultra Magnus / WWI Megatron
    WWI Ultra Magnus / WWI Sunstorm
    G1 Soundblaster with Ravage / Primal Prime

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also at botcon 2007 Hasbro Panel had this to say about these guys.
    The unproduced Titanium molds (Bumblebee, Cosmos, Shockwave and Arcee) could be used for other lines.
    Cosmos could end up somewhere. Hasbro said they will keep trying to get us that figure/character.

G1 Arcee, Classic Cosmos, G1 Shockwave, and WWI Bumble Bee with a possible Cliffjumper repaint since the new molded head is made.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I REALLY wish we'd get Skywarp instead of Primal Prime...:( 

20. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    no way the original Primal prime is way over priced and the character needs a return to shelves, especially with the wreckers story being finished. If anything they should not have made Optimal Optimus. It was scourge and op that sat on shelves for all those months.

And I really do not get the seeker obsession, especially since ever war within seeker was supposed to have a unique transformation