War Within and young characters

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SkyQuake, May 18, 2006.

1. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

I've thought about this since War Within, and other anchient views of Cybertron have appeared. Do you think characters like Hotrod, Wheelie, and Bumblebee should be in such series. These are supposed to be the "younger" bots. That said, it is assumed they had their beginnings after the main bulk of the TF cast. In the case of Bumblebee, I remember Ironhide talking with Hound (in the early Marvel G1 comic) about Bumblebee's youth. Or are these characters forever young?

2. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I'm sure they are young in respect to little experience or should I less in comparison to others such as IronHide and Kup.
    As we as humans count years, BB would still be ancient. But when you are a race of immortal robots, if you've been around half as long as an 'older' member of your race, you're 'young' and perhaps a little naive to ALL the things that have happened in your race's history.

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Bumblebee I could see. According to his G1 bio (actually the Goldbug bio), he played the part of "everybody's little brother" because he wanted every one to like him. He would have always come across as young.

Wheelie strikes me as having the Cybertronian equivilant of autism, so who knows how old he really is? I can't see Hot Rod in a pre-G1 setting. He seems too much to me like being one of Wheeljack's experiments, without the benifit of the upgrade that the Dinobots got.

4. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Not a big Hot Rod fan, huh? :lol 

I always imagined that they take a lot longer to develop mentally than do humans. I picture Bumblebee as in his early 20's and Hot Rod being a teenager. I agree that he had to be pretty young by Transformer standards.

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

That obvious, is it? :D 

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm cool with Bumblebee showing up in War Within. His character is perhaps supposed to be younger than the others, but he was also in a dormant state for 4 million years. So he was kind of in arrested development there for a while. In Transformers life spans, he could have been alive for a couple of million years prior to that and still have been considered young.

Hot Rod shouldn't be, but I don't think he was in War Within anyway. When Optimus Prime was taken prisoner by the resistance on Cybertron in DW's G1 vol. 2, Hot Rod didn't know him and had only heard stories about him from the older characters. Seems like he was created/born/whatever at some point after Prime's group left Cybertron (which, of course, is post-War Within).

Wheelie I don't know what to do with. I guess he's supposed to be a kid. Don't think he was in War Within either though.

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Actually, I greatly enjoyed your theory on Hot Rod's origin. It puts a dim light on Wheeljack though. Imagine creating something that winds up getting Optimus Prime killed? Usually Wheeljack's inventions backfired on just Wheeljack. :wink: 

8. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

KD:

That's funny; I don't usually associate Bumblebee with hip-hop. Did he play keyboard or something? :) 

9. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've made a huge mistake...

10. optimus kimchee

optimus kimchee Well-Known Member

Awww, that's cold!

Poor Hot Rod/Whiny Rodimus, at least he looks cool.... to me at least, lol!

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

He was that girl in "Tennessee" hollering about a game of horseshoes.

:lol 

Yay for AD tv show references! Although, the way Bumblebee was always saddling up to Optimus Prime, maybe the more apt analogy would be to Buster. His code name in the Transformers movie script could be Motherboy XXV!

12. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Hip hop was not created at that time, but rock and roll was, so there :p 

As far as Bumblebee, I believe he must have come online just prior to, or at the beginning of when the Great War started in which the Decepticons arose. Ironhide and Hound's brief discussion (I believe in Marvel G1 issue 1) is too decriptive along those lines.

Hotrod is probably younger than Bumblebee, arising sometime when the Earth Autobots were asleep.

Wheelie, for some reason, I could see as being forever young.

With all the TFs going off line every so often, it can be hard to tell who's younger than who, and who's been online (awake) the longest. Grimlock came out of his stasis pod (in BW) probably with full memory of who he is, and who he has been. Rampage would probably be considered the youngest online spark. Although, since he was cloned from Starscream's spark you could argue that he was born older.

Also, what about young Decepticons? We never really get an accurate picture of age with them. Of course, in the G1 comic the, Constructicons, Combaticons, Stunticons, and those birthed in G2 seemed to be at full adulthood, or their youth was not shown.

The Autobots seem to be the only ones that show youth. The Aerialbots were shown to be young in the comic, not necessarily knowing right from wrong in some occasions.

13. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I'll tell you something else Michael...

I BLEEPED Bumblebee.

/they had really just made out/