War Of the Worlds thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by risingmegatron, Sep 17, 2009.

1. risingmegatron

risingmegatron Destiny

News Credits:
    this is for eveyone that knows of war of the worlds,loves it like hell,and they want to talk about it. go ahead, talk about these martians.

2. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Was there a sort of sci-fi series with the same title and the aliens had some way of making themselves look like human (killing the copied human in the process)? I use to watch that series alot when I was waiting for the bus to school.

3. risingmegatron

risingmegatron Destiny

News Credits:
    yes there was, it was a sequel series to the 1953 movie

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That series was in the late 80s, not sure if it lasted into the 90s.

never watched it after the first two or three episodes, although i liked the theme song.

it isn't a movie or tv, but the '38 radio show was and is tha bomb.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'm still waiting for a proper adaptation of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Volume Two.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since i missed it, how did the show end?

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Goodness yes.

Also; Orson Welles radioplay or GTFO.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Pfft, Jeff Wayne musical plz.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    ^ The aboveness. Especially the seven disc set.

10. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm still waiting for a truly good attempt at a screen adaptation in recent times- out of the three released in 2005, you'd think at least one of them would be good. :(  I'll give my rundown as follows:

1953 George Pal: Still the best version. Modernises the story, but very much keeps the essence of it.

1988-90 TV series: Follows on from the above, but has some continuity issues: apparently, the entire world forgot that martians attempted to invade Earth 35 years ago. I also remember a retcon that established the aliens were no longer from Mars, and the aliens could now inhabit human bodies which granted them immunity to the earth-borne bacteria that killed their original forms.

2005 (Spielberg): Now don't get me wrong - I like this version, but it was extremely rushed as the release date was moved forward as Dreamworks wanted to concentrate on Transformers! A lot of scenes weren't completed in time and the story feels very disjointed as a result - you're left wondering why some characters feel motivated to do certain things (like Robbie's determination to fight the aliens). The effects and especially the sound are, however, absolutely awesome. Tom Cruise, however, was acted off the screen by Dakota Fanning. And she mostly just screamed.

2005 (Pendragon): Ugh. Ugh! UGH! This adaptation had so much potential by promising to remain faithful to the novel, but it's a horrible low-budget mess. Why film at night when you can film during the day and use filters to make it look quite unconvincingly like night? And filming in Atlanta in the hope of passing it off as Victorian London. I avidly kept up to date with the blog as this was in production, until the first trailer revealed absolutely no completed fx shots. As the release date slipped and the promise of a cinematic release came to nothing, hope began to fade. When I finally got around to seeing it I was bitterly disappointed.

2005 (Asylum): Despite Asylum's habit of ripping-off whatever's due out at the cinema that year, this isn't TOO bad. Released in international markets as 'Invasion', this version was better than I expected. Sure, the acting's fairly bad and the tripods have been replaced by giant mechanical crabs, but I rate this higher than Pendragon's utterly shit-tastic take on the classic.

Alas, none of these top the book. :)  As a classic it's constantly in print and makes for fantastic - if sometimes chilling - reading.

11. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Alright.

It is okay, but it really could have been way better.

12. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

Loved the book. Loved the new movie. I liked the aspect of a broken family trying to deal with what was happening around them, it still makes me cry sometimes. Dakota is awesome in that movie!