Heavy/Scratch: War for Cybertron: SIEGE DOMINATION THRONE!!!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fschuler, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    I don’t but a buddy of mine does

• Like Like x 1
  2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    10-4. I'll post a reply to you when the files are up!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    You are the man!

• Like Like x 1
  4. fschuler

News Credits:
    Thanks. I hope you enjoy it! Post a pic if you get it printed and painted.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Awesome

• Like Like x 1
  6. fschuler

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  7. fender9458

fender9458 Member

Any tips on how to paint it like that? I've never done that type of painting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. fschuler

News Credits:
    First off, welcome to TFW!

The paint job I did on this throne was a relatively quick one. But, it consists of a couple or few layers built on top of one another. I'll break it down:

Step 1) I first used a small file to scrape and scratch up the entire surface of the throne. This helps give the illusion of a roughened and beaten surface and also helps to get rid of some of the 3D printed layer lines. This step is optional, but, I think it adds to the final appearance.

Step 2) The throne was printed using black plastic which helps to give it a dark and shadowy appearance to begin with. If you print one of these, or get one printed, and want it to look like this one, have it printed in black or paint it black. If you paint it black, give it a nice thorough coat. You can spray it on or brush it on...the method used won't have a tremendous effect on the final outcome. So, take your pick. I would like to recommend Testors or Tamiya acrylic paints throughout this entire project.

Step 3) Dry-brush silver paint over the entire throne and all of the extra pieces. You don't want to cover it in a thick solid layer of silver...you just want get some stuck to the surface and you want some of the underlying black color to show through. Use a soft bushy brush, get some silver paint on it and dab the brush on a paper towel to get most of the paint off of it. You just want a little bit of paint residue to remain on the brush. You then brush over the pieces in kind of a rubbing motion that will gradually leave a film of paint behind. You'll get the hang of it.

Step 4) I then applied red to all of the red areas on the throne. The red paint was thinned down so that it would flow smoothly and even itself out. I used particularly thin paint on the "signs" on the rear of the throne, the fronts of the arm rests and the front bottom portion of the throne. You want the paint to be thin enough that you can drip some where you want it (using a small brush or even a toothpick) and it will flow in and around the recessed areas where it was dripped. Just be sure to keep the part level while the paint dries or else it will all run to the lowest spot and form a thick pool.

Step 5) I applied gold paint to the highlights and details as shown using a small brush. Nothing fancy here...just be sparing with the paint so nothing runs or drips.

Step 6) I applied a black wash to the WHOLE DAMN THANG! The black wash was a combination of Future floor polish and black acrylic paint. Lay it on wet and avoid drips and runs. The point is to protect the underlying paint and create a little more depth in the nooks and crannies. Be sure the underlying colors have dried for at least 24 hours before applying the wash. If you don't have or have access to Future, use some clear acrylic paint instead.

I hope this helps!

9. fender9458

fender9458 Member

Thank you so much for that! I will save it for when I'm ready.

I'm was an 80's Transformers, and just getting back into them with the Siege line and the new comic. Really exciting.

• Like Like x 1
  10. fschuler

News Credits:
    You are welcome. Let me know if you would like any more information once you get around to painting stuff. It really just takes practice.

And, this might just be the best time in history to be a TF fan. There's all kinds of stuff out there now and some amazing stuff coming up...Siege being one of them. Myself, I collected from the 80's to around 2007, got out of it for about 10 years and then got back into it late in 2017. I missed a ton in that span. There's a lot to absorb. Enjoy!

11. fender9458

fender9458 Member

Is there a specific reason that you printed with ABS?

12. fschuler

News Credits:
    Mainly because it prints cleanly and can be glued together with model cement. Any filament will work fine, though.

13. Celaeno

Celaeno Well-Known Member

This is absolutely fantastic and looks like a joy to paint and mod up. I just need to figure out how to resize it to fit MPs. Beautiful work!

• Like Like x 1
  14. fschuler

News Credits:
    Thanks man! Version 2 fits MP carbots pretty well as-is.

IMG_20190120_145222_877-1.jpg