War for Cybertron got me to buy my first Transformers toys in a decade

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rexidus, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I'm a gamer and a fan of the Transformers concept. I was the target demographic for Beast Wars and have a bunch of them still. Then Beast Machines came along and destroyed my interest in the franchise. I'd also catch an episode of two of the new series that followed but was extremely disappointed by the Pokemon like feel they had.

So I wrote the franchise off until the movies came and showed they could be good. Animated was pretty good too though I didn't watch much of it because I don't watch much TV any more.

But I was eagerly awaiting War for Cybertron and have loved the heck out of the game.

And now that some toys are being made for them, well I just had to pick some up. I kept watching reviews of Optimus and lusting (in a platonic man to plastic toy kind of way) after him.

I picked him up and have been super pleased with him. I also picked up Bumblebee, and while not in love with it, it's cool. I'm just not a BB fan.

I know when I find Megatron and Soundwave I'll buy them too.

So the point of this thread I guess is just to say, hey this game was so cool that it made me buy toys again.

Now if only they would make figures of Ratchet and Sideswipe so I can make some of my custom characters...

2. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

we all come back. Its inevitable.

3. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

wow you chose the war for cybertron toy line as a returning point????

I'm just not a fan of the WFC toys. they just don't look like anything I'd be interested in.
    WFC Prime looks like he's missing half his back part of his alt mode. WFC Bumblebee looks like the speed bullet car of tommorow that was featured during the 1970's commericials.
    I'm just not a fan of soundwave & shockwave turning into vechicles. WFC Megatron looks like a flatened out Animated deluxe sized megatron toy.

I would think a great TF toy line as a returning point would be the live action TF movie toys.

4. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I wish Soundwave was a triple changer like in the video game, but I'll takes what I can gets.

5. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Hey, to each there own, dude.
    I got back into it because of the movie line too, but guess what, some people feel the same way, if not worse, about the movie line as you seem to about WFC.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Yeah, actually I hate the way the movie characters look. I like being able to look at a bot and see where each piece should go and the Bayformers can't do that.

I don't love WFC BB either but that's because it's BB. I never really cared for that character. It's probably because he turns into an ugly car. I like movie BB better than any other incarnation of him. But the toys never really tempted me much.

Optimus though is awesome.

On Soundwave, I never liked that he transformed into a boom box. That was stupid to me. I love him as a truck, though I would have made him more hummer like.

I love that the movie had correct scale and as such Soundwave had to evolve. Same with Megatron. I'm so glad he's a tank and not a stupid gun.

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I wasn't originally planning to buy the WFC toys, but I impulse-bought Prime because, hey it's Prime, ya can never have too much of him. While I think his toy is slightly overrated (most of the pictures people post of him in the Cool Stuff thread is him decked out in weapons. That's great and all, but it doesn't say anything about the figure's own merits), it is still a really cool version of Prime. A bulkier Prime, but one that still stands tall (well, as a deluxe). He could benefit from heel spurs, though...

I also intend to buy Megatron. When the first pre-orders went up, I wasn't even remotely interested in him, but after seeing Peaugh's review, I actually got more excited for him than I was for Prime. And then I actually bought Prime, so now it's inevitable that I've got to get Megatron. Despite originally not liking the big triangular legs (shades of Cybertron Megatron?), I now seem to really like his toy, I think there's something interesting about it...

I, like you, don't like Bumblebee, so I'm not buying his toy, but I might give it a chance when Cliffjumper comes out (Cliffjumper was also the only version of Movie Bumblebee I bought). I'm still not sure if I want Soundwave or not, but he looks good enough.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    ^I'm with Abrogate on Optimus for sure. I think the head sculpt is AWESOME. One of the best Prime toy heads IMO. The rest isn't bad, but the midsection not locking in solidly and the floppy limbs pretty much kills it for me. It does have a fairly interesting transformation which is always nice.

Bumblebee isn't really my cup of tea. I thought I'd like 'Bee and not care for Optimus. Turned out to be the opposite.

Megatron is looking pretty good though, even if the alt mode is way too Animated for my liking. Soundwave's head sculpt looks great but the body doesn't look too good IMO. And I'm not a fan of the vehicle mode.

BUT I an see where the OP is coming from since he's a big fan of the game. I'm not a gamer so having never played WfC I don't have the attatchment to the characters he has.

9. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    I love the WFC concept too. If i had to pick characters i'd want as figures, Breakdown, Jazz and Barricade would make top list.

Personally (if we're allowed to share) Classics was the line that got me back. Best line EVAR.

10. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Glad to hear it! I was in a very similar situation to that described in the original post, except it was the 07 movie that brought me back to the toys.

11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why don't the zillion hardpoints on Optimus count in the figure's favor? It's not like those extra weapons are super-glued or rubber-banded on. :p 

12. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    So, ten years on, do you feel like toy design is significantly advanced?

13. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Not that much. Compared to my Beast Wars toys they are about the same.

Compared to my G1 Pointblank both Beast Wars and WFC are significantly advanced.

14. Abrogate

News Credits:
    I'm not saying they don't increase his play value, but I generally judge a figure on its articulation. Just having them stand there with an axe and a million guns doesn't mean much to me, but I can see what's cool about it.

15. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

The greatest Optimus figure will be the one that shouts, "Arrhhnnhide!"

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Prime doesn't need heel spurs, you just need to push his feet back. They slide back, but it's not in the instructions.

17. Abrogate

News Credits:
    I didn't even use the instructions, but hey, that's good to know! Thanks for the tip

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I didn't either, but when I couldn't figure out why his knees could flip up, I searched the web and found out about the feet too.

19. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Yeah, sadly there seems to be quite a few people who feel that way.

But that's actually why I like them, (Because of what you stated, not because others don't like them.) I like that you can't quite tell how the transformation works with a quick glance. The contrast between alt-mode and robot-mode feel like an actual substantial transformation occured.

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I'm sorry but you're wrong. You loose one internetz.

Just joshing you. To each his own. Actually I did think some of the movie-esque stuff was okay. By that I mean characters created for the Revenge of the Fallen game or for a toy.

And I do love the concept of the Human Alliance line. I sort of see it as the first stab at making the figures the correct scale. If they made a line that was actual to scale I would be rather tempted as well. I like the idea of the Decepticons being bigger than the Autobots, which if they were to scale would be the case.