War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybertron

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Feb 12, 2012.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I think I have died and gone to Transformers heaven. For the first time in the last 5 years I'm actually really excited about Transformers toys again!

I love the design aesthetic for the games in the title of this thread. I was rather disappointed that they only made the 4 molds. I already got all 4 of them and as much as I love them there's not much I can do with only 2 Autobots and 2 Decepticons.

Now I find out they're making Jazz, Ironhide, Shockwave, and BRUTICUS. There's a freaking combiner team. Ironhide is the only one I haven't actually seen toys of yet and it may turn out to just be a Transformer Prime repaint of Ratchet. I would much prefer to see them in their game designs. Ironhide and Ratchet share the same mold and I'm not into the repaints so I'll only get one if they are making toys of both based on their game designs. I just don't know which one.

They really need to make more Autobots though because as it is even counting repaints the ratio is Autobots: 6 vs. Decepticons: 8 and the Autobots have several other designs from the game that don't have toys yet.

BTW I also don't count Starscream because it's a Cybertron mold not a new mold made specifically for the games.

My only question is will Bruticus be Scramble City style so the limbs can be an arm or a leg or does it only combine that one way? Either way I've never been this excited to get a gestalt EVER!

2. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

From what we've seen of Bruticus so far, it seems the limbs will be fixed into their positions. The leg parts look pretty symmetrical, so you might be able to switch those, and depending on how the fists are tooled, you may or may not be able to get away with switching the arms, but I don't see any indication that arms and legs will be interchangeable.

Also, totally agreed on the level of excitement here. This will be the second time I pick up all the video game-inspired Generations molds.

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Bruticus will be Scramble City style, so any non-Onslaught bot can become limb or foot on either side. (Or you could say buy 4 Brawls and use them as every limb if you so desired)

That said, I've never seen anything about Ironhide officially. He has not been announced.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    am excited for FoC figures as well. and hope that with its success, Hasbro will consider keeping the line alive (as filler during mainline droughts or something.)
    i can't say how Bruticus will assemble. i will just wait and see.

i hope we get a voyager or (squee) leader class Grimlock in the future.
    gotta have something to take down Bruticus, ya know.

i am looking forward to these FoC figures more than anything lately.

5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Something I forgot to mention in my first post but part of my excitement for Bruticus especially is that I feel like this is our first real combiner team sense Transformers RID.

The best Armada and Energon had was Percepter. I really like both molds there but Energon also had more traditional Scramble City style combiners that kinda fail for one reason. There's only 3 separate molds for each Combiner team. Most people hated the look of them, I actually liked the ones we had I just wish that each combiner team had 2 extra molds instead of repainting them. In the case of Energon Bruticus a 3rd party company actually created new molds to represent Swindle and Blast Off sense the originals were just repaints of Brawl and Vortex respectively. That actually adds so much to the set that I can't believe Hasbro didn't do that to begin with.

The movie had the unfortunate circumstance of having the Constructicons as their biggest combiner team and the best version of them in the toys is the legends class. If you buy any other version you either get robots that can't combine or a combiner set that can only separate into vehicle modes. The legends was the only one that actually has all 3 modes. It don't really matter anyway because I hate the design aesthetic of the movie toys.

Then we got Power Core Combiners which look cool until you realize that the limbs are not robots. You basically have one robot with power up armor, that's not a combiner.

So for the first time sense Transformers RID we are actually getting a combiner team that has vehicle to robot to gestalt conversion on all components and Hasbro isn't cheating by making two of the limbs repaints. Even if you don't like the design you should still buy this because if this guy doesn't sell well we may never see combiner teams again. This should give Hasbro a good idea of what we expect a combiner to be when we buy this guy.

Also my current toy buying priority goes, Prime Optimus/Megatron 2 Pack, First addition Prime Bumblebee, Prime Erradicons both Deluxe versions, all of the new Fall of Cybertron toys in that order I will be actively looking for. There are several other figures that I would like if I see them and have the money but if I don't see them or can't afford them at the time I'll have to pass up. But oh my gawd I feel like a kid again! After so many years of horrible movie and animated figures I finally have something to look forward to again. I think I might actually end up selling or trading some of the movie and animated figures I did get so I have some extra cash to spend on these.

6. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I was kinda hoping we'd get a new Superion toy if Bruticus sells well. The Dinobots are probably the only designs from this game franchise I won't get overly excited for if they make toys. The thing I like most about them is that they're Cybertronian vehicles. If they made the Dynobots that would be a different story, I'd like to have them. The Dinobots kinda take away a lot of what I love about these toys.

I actually might still get Dinobots for different reasons. I mean I don't hate the designs I just don't think the whole dinosaur theme fits in with the theme of they haven't been to Earth yet.

The other thing is, I don't know why, but the glowing "Tron" lights I really like. Even though the toys don't really translate that aspect of the designs I don't really expect them to, not unless they're all leader class figures and I can't afford that. I'm perfect happy with them all being Deluxe because that's a cheap size range that still looks good.

7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I WAS excited, then I saw the pics and died a little inside. They made only Shockwave really outstanding. The former WFC toys were of much higher engineering quality. And the lack of size kills it as well. Even if Jazz would look great, I would not buy him if he's shorter than my United Jazz. The great thing about Classics/Generations was, that they are all nearly the same height in robot mode. But if they are now all shorter than deluxes, the line died for me and I will concentrate on old toys on the secondary market.

8. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Who said they were shorter? They're all deluxe class figures just like the other 4. As for the engineering, Megatron is probably the worst figure. I mean he's really the only one that stands out to me as being really bad in terms of how complex the transformation is. I don't really like his vehicle mode too much either as it's kind of a brick with a cannon. I do really like Megatron's robot mode though especially the Decepticon insignia molded into his back. There's not a lot of bad things I can really say about any of these figures. I wish Onslaught was a bit larger in vehicle mode but some how it still works for the combined mode. His vehicle mode reminds me more of Kup.

Anyway, in terms of size, you should really wait to judge till you see them in person or at least see a size comparison in a toy review. The pictures aren't really much to go by so there's no telling at this point if Jazz will be in scale with his Earth mode toy.

9. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Anyone notice that there was no Bumblebee shown for the FoC line? Made me breathe a sigh of relief knowing he wouldn't take up a slot in the assortment. The first version was fine (if not a bit tall).
    -Not really digging the new Optimus. He seems like a cross between Cybertron and War Within, but almost too clunky to fit either.
    -Jazz looks very nice, and also like a lot of fun. Loads of character in that mold.
    -Bruticus- Yes, please. I really can't find anything negative to say about it. I'm not a fan of combiners, but since he isn't a parts-former and actually has some 'presence' in stature and appearance, he'll definately be on my Classics shelf.
    -Shockwave. What can be said that hasn't already? I will pass by every other toy this coming year in order to obtain this figure if I have to. In my eyes he's perfect.

10. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    There is a comparison shot having WFC Megatron stand beside Jazz, if you did not notice yet. Jazz looks more like Scout class. He does not even reach to Megs shoulders, so I expect him to be even shorter than Classics Bumblebee.

FOC Optimus looks like the Cybertronian mode of Fattimus Prime. Was that Transformers Energon? I don't remember which show he was in.

11. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Ironhide has not been announced.

Only the 8 shown at Toy Fair are officially announced.

12. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

So are we not counting the Optimus, Bumblebee, and Megatron repaints as FoC figures? Because from what I read they are being released to promote the new game. Yeah they're just repaints of the WfC molds but still it seems like Hasbro is counting them as FoC figures.

I've seen the new design for the game but as far as I know he doesn't actually have a toy. If there is a toy based on that design I'll get that too as it would be a new mold and not just a repaint of the one I already have.

As far as the character model goes I miss seeing the Autobot insignia on his back. The toy has it too but all the kibble from vehicle mode covers it up. As far as the vehicle mode goes it looks just like the other one but without the smooth kibble bits that I previously mentioned on the toy.

I have not seen the size comparison. I just happen to be looking at the wiki that has a picture of Jazz by himself.

Yes that's Energon Optimus Prime. Again, I have not seen any plans for a new Optimus mold, they just seem to have repainted the existing one. At least for the toys. I have seen the new character model in the game. I don't think he looks fat because unlike Energon Prime his arms and legs are actually in proportion with the rest of this body. Energon had skinny legs and arms to accommodate his Power Rangers Megazord mode.

Wiki had a listing for it but without pictures. Given they're annoyance of putting video game characters on the same page with Prime I have no way of telling if it's actually a game Ironhide or a Prime Ironhide. Given that he shares a mold with Ratchet and his page had no listing for anything other than Prime I'm betting it'll probably a retool of Ratchet's Prime molds.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't know what they're doing with Megatron and Bumblebee, but Optimus isn't a repaint.

Check the news section. He has a toy. I think it looks great, but I'm a fan of the new game design.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source for information. The entire second season of Prime was listed there with titles that were made up and with characters who are not going to be in the show.

Do not believe anything Wikipedia says.

And yeah, I hate that they have War for Cybertron in the same grouping as Prime too.