War for Cybertron Deluxe Megatron Pictorial review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Peaugh, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Robot Mode: With the head sculpt - an image of power and strength - and the really huge gun, there is no way to mistake this guy for anyone but Megatron. The colors are spot on and the sculpting is great. His visage says, “I am a bad ass and I know it. Run in fear… NOW!!!” The most outstanding part of his robot mode is that you can mistake him for a robot replica. There aren’t any panel seams or kibble anywhere but his hands.

As for bending with the best of them, Megatron has some issues. His legs are great in every regard and the feet are super huge, stable, and posable. The arms on the other hand are just awkward. He lacks a bicep swivel, but has a forearm swivel. When you bend his elbows back they fold into a slot that limits movement. His hands lack any and all posability due to their construction. His head, though on a ball joint, is restricted by kibble. For some reason I can’t figure there isn’t a waist joint. Having a waist joint would not interfere with any part of the transformation or the alt mode. Despite these issues, he can pose well enough to display his mightiness.

Like the WFC Optimus Prime, Megatron is armed with his trademark weapon, a freaking giant fusion cannon. It isn’t as huge as the Classics/Henkei Megatron’s though. If you switch it around it could pass for a machine gun, but I like the fusion cannon better.

The Generations toy line has provided us with a great robot mode for Megatron.

Vehicle Mode: Megatron’s alt mode is basically a brick with a large cannon and the color scheme is simple and bland. It is a near perfect match for his in-game counterpart, though. The tank mode is solid from every angle but the bottom and perfectly disguises the robot within. His treads can be flipped down for a hover tank mode that reminds me of the Spartas tank from Robotech. My only true complaint is that the tank treads are wobbly when flipped out. Out of all of the Megatrons that do not have an Earth mode, this is again the most successful.

Conclusion: Generations/WFC Megatron is a solid figure who is held back only by his posability and that cost him some points. He has a clean and solid image in both modes and is very accurate to his in-game appearance. I recommend him to everyone.

Grade: B+

2. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

I've had the figure for a few days. Some more articulation in the arms would have been nice. More specifically the elbows. That and this is the first purple light-piping I've seen on a figure.

3. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    This is seriously one of the best-LOOKING Megatron toys ever made, but the paltry arm articulation and the always-puzzling lack of a waist are serious downers. (I can only conclude that in any TF, the waist joint is always the first thing to get eliminated for budget reasons.) The tank mode has pegs in pretty much all the places it should have them (except ones to keep the treads from flopping), but they don't hold all that well, and getting the turret to sit properly in its designated spot is way harder than it needs to be.

Still, he's leaps and bounds over Bumblebee and Soundwave.

4. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Picked him up alongside Straxus/Darkmount yesterday, really dig him, one of my fav Megatrons in a while. No complaints here outside of a very sensitive trigger.

5. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Make sure you push that peice that becomes his neck spikes all the way back in vehicle mode. The cannon goes in really easy then.

6. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Animated Swindle?

7. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guess you didn't pick up ROTF Ravage?

8. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

An observation based solely on the figures in my collection. My apologies.

9. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Key word in bold.

10. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Alt. modes galore!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    This one is for Transfan..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i finally got a chance to open him and tinker with him.

He is great for the most part.
    the only complaint for me is that he feels a tad hollow.
    not a dealbreaker for me. just feel that his design gives the impression of bulk and heft, and the figure itself reveals it is an illusion.

also, stood him next to the HTS SE Megatron and wanted to weep. That SE looks awesome with this Megatron (and TFU Galvaflopatron) but he's just too short to be a Deluxe class Megs. (so much for my 'Classics' Generations of Megatron display)

still, just the figure itself, as he stands, is yet another great figure in the already fabulous Generations line.

13. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    found 3 of these guys the other day and all of them except one had really bad paint apps on the face, and even that one, which I bought, has a few cracks in the paint that I didn't notice till out of package. That and his loose chest plate are kinda annoying, along with the fact that his legs don't fully peg into place in alt mode.

Despite these complaints I really like him though. Feels really solid and that head sculpt is fantastic looking. Really glad I picked him up.

14. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I got mine yesterday. I've gotta say, he's a nice little figure, and gives a very Classics feel to Megatron. The front pincers even evoke a little Energon Megatron feel. I have had no problems with the legs, or any of the joints.

My wish list for this figure is three fold: A closed left fist with a peg hole, even if it was a split fist, because then he could have additional weapons, that the tank treads pegged into the sides or bottom of the tank for more stability, and waist swivel.

The interesting thing is why they even made it so that the head can fold down. You can't see it from the underside unless you look there, and it's just an additional moving part. I guess they had taken a queue from Movie 2 Megatron and didn't want "peekaboo tank" mode. Plus the bulk on his arms are enough to hamper putting his arms out at a full 90 degree angle to the sides.

Overall, I like him. He's got enough poseability to really give that menacing feel, he fits in well with the other WFC figures, and he's got some very nice detailing.

15. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

Finally got him. He does feel really light for some reason. He has some posability limits, but I like him a lot. I never had a G1 megatron, I butchered my classics one in a horrible repaint attempt, So this guy is filling a big hole in my collection. The colors used work pretty well. At first I thought he had too much red on him, but now that I'm used to it, I think he'd be pretty bland without it. The only issue I have is the treads not being able to lock in place thing, otherwise, a very nice affordable megatron.

16. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Got mine today and dig him. However, has anyone mentioned that the alt-mode image on the back of the package is reversed (e.g. a mirror image)? I wasn't using the instructions, so I wasted some time desperately trying to find some sort of waist swivel or shoulder joint to get his arms to switch sides to match the image on the back of the card before I finally noticed the mistake.

17. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Noticed it too, heh, but it didn't throw me off too long. Certainly not a help for us NO INSTRUCTIONS types though.

18. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Exactly. I usually go 1) No instructions, 2) Picture on package, and 3) Instructions. The transformation isn't difficult at all, but with any type of Cybertron / sci-fi mode that has no real-world counterpart I sometimes have to move on to step #2. WFC Soundwave was very easy because at least he looks like a car/van/truck thing, but Megs design definitely pushes the envelope creatively, thus requiring at least a picture. I wasn't into the stage where I was worried I was about to break things, but I did give his waist section a decent tug downward to see if there was some sort of locked swivel there so that I could match the reversed image on the card.

19. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I particularly like the above mode you came up with. The detailing on the side of the knees forms a back set of wheels. It looks like he could slowly maneuver himself into position...right before he blasts a ship out of orbit.

I had low expectations for Meg's tank mode coming in, but was pleasantly surprised once I had the figure in-hand.

It is not unusual for figures with Cybertronian-alt modes to have lazy non-transformations and vehicles that pass muster only under the suspension of disbelief that comes with looking at alien technology. Not-so with Megs. The tank is strange aesthetically, but it still effectively conveys the fact that it is a piece of heavy machinery designed to solely to carry a huge friggin' cannon from place to place.

20. Xkcer Man

Xkcer Man Autobot

News Credits:
    GERWALK!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]