War Dawn: Extended

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by deltaprime, Sep 4, 2011.

1. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Following the events of War Dawn: Redux, I plan on writing a story called Sparks of Valor, featuring Delta and Elita 1 assembling a team of their own and taking on a mysterious new villain. There's a whole lot of story between WDR and it's official sequel, which is what this thread is for.

War Dawn: Extended will be a series of ministories focusing on the major players of Sparks of Valor before they all meet together. In addition to that, I plan on fixing up some loose ends from the end of War Dawn. All of these stories will be told in the 1st person, exploring the mind of various characters chapter by chapter. It's like a Spotlight series, but for fanfiction rather than the comics.

Coming soon will be my first story of the series, titled "The Winds of Change."

2. deltaprime

The Winds of Change
    Part 1

"Please, don't do this to me. I'll bring you the payment, I promise. Just give me a little bit of time!"

He's disgusting. Another client of my boss who decided that he doesn't have enough to pay for the polarizor we made for him. No one would miss him, really. He came to us because he knew our products were of superior quality to those of that punk Swindle's.

"The boss doesn't like people who can't make their payments on time," I tell him.

He's on his knees, shaking violently. He's heard stories of what we do to Cybertronians who've tried to con us out of our merchandise. I suppose you could say we aren't a "wholesome" organization. We specialize in wartime technology. Teleporters, disintegrators, rust cannons-you name it we can make it. Lately the boss has been trying to build a machine that can transport people across universes, or so he says.

"Just you wait and see. We'll have customers coming from all over, begging to have use of our machine!" he says.

I don't believe in the whole "alternate universe" idea personally, so I think he's just wasting his time. And our time. And our supplies.

"Sir," I tell him, "we can't keep throwing our technology at something that you're not sure will even work! We're running low on resources, and our customers are getting impatient. If we keep wasting what we've got, we won't have enough to produce all the goods our clients come to see us for!"

"Listen, you," he snaps back at me, "you were hired as a bodyguard. A thug. I'm not paying you to think, I'm paying you to bust up some heads, got it?"

"Yes, sir," I tell him.

As I watch the pitiful creature grovel at my feet, I can't help but think that he'd be better off if I just put him out of his misery. Perhaps we could even scrap him for parts. It's a bit of a barbaric idea, I guess, but like I said, he wouldn't be missed. I remove one of my blades from behind my back and within seconds he's nothing but a pile of scraps.

"You get the money?" Cablejumper asks me as I go back to the main workroom.

"Nah, but I've got parts. See for yourself."

I drop our clients corpse on the ground in front of my coworker and he calmly picks them up and begins to work on them. Morals? We don't have much, I'll admit. We do what we do to get by, and that's worked pretty well so far. A normal Cybertronian would probably be haunted by doing the things I've done. I just consider it business though. There have been plenty of times that I've felt a pang of guilt over something that I've done, but usually I just shrug it off and continue on with my business. Afterall, I'm not being paid to feel guilt. I'm not being paid to think. I'm just a common thug, and that's all I'll ever be, I suppose.

My name is Wildwind.

3. deltaprime

The Winds of Change
    Part 2

“You’re not paid to think,” he says. To him, I’m just a thug, an idiot who’s only useful when someone needs to be brutalized. I had dreams, aspirations, hope for the future. I may have been lost and without a purpose, but at least I knew who I was. With Mercury, it feels like a little bit of the old me dies away every day.
    My life was so simple before I met him. I can remember my friends with great fondness, though they probably can’t say the same thing about me. Blackjack. Rad. Good ol’ Smokey. I betrayed them all and left them in the dust. And for what?
    “Hurry up, Windy!” they used to tell me. “The handouts are coming!”
    Once every week, there was this charity group that came by the slums. They were all so friendly to us, but in a condescending way that was ever-so-subtle. They’d offer medical assistance to those who were too poor to afford professional treatment. They’d give us nourishment, as many of us were starving. The guys and me, we used to depend on “LifeSpark” just to get by from week to week. Everyone was always so happy when they came. Slag, the Emirate himself might as well have paid us a visit for all the commotion we made over these guys.
    “Check out what I’ve got!” I remember ol’ Smokey exclaiming after one visit from LifeSpark.
    He was proudly holding a huge bundle of supplies. Someone else’s supplies.
    “Who’d you con this time?” I asked him.
    “Oh, no one important. Just some guy named Wheezel.”
    “You can’t keep those. You know that, right?”
    “I won’em, didn’t I?”
    “Fair n’ square?”
    “Well….”
    Good Ol’ Smokey was always cheating others out of whatever it was they had. It was more for his amusement than anything, since he knew that Rad or Blackjack or I would eventually convince him to give his winnings back. Regardless of his practices, he was a decent guy. They all were. Oh, what I would give to have those moments back. If only I could go back in time and stop myself from-I’m sorry. I guess I’m getting a little ahead of myself.
    So it was a pretty typical day in the slums. Some had gathered around to make music; others were “getting glitched.” This was the term the lowest of the lowlifes gave to intoxicating themselves. There was one time when I caught Rad getting glitched, but we set him straight right away. Anyways, I’m getting off topic. So it was a typical day and everyone was waiting for LifeSpark to arrive, but they didn’t. Their truck came in, sure, but the LifeSpark volunteers weren’t inside. Instead, we were ambushed by a group of “scientists.” I knew the moment I saw these guys that they were bad news. They all had these nasty smirks on their faces. I remember one seemed to have a deformed hand. It was almost like a claw. Two were brandishing guns, kinds I had never seen before.
    “Listen up, all of you!” said one adorned in blue and gray. He was obviously the leader. “We’re looking for volunteers who would be willing to…help us…in our experiments. You see, I’m a scientist, and a dang good one at that. Now, I have a problem. This one project I’ve been working on, the Overrdrive, keeps malfunctioning. I know that if I crawl inside the thing it’ll probably blow up in my face. Literally. Now, obviously a scientist of my stature can’t risk my life on such trivial things. I’ve got something to live for. You worthless scrap heaps, however, probably don’t. So….who wants to volunteer?”
    No one spoke. This was easily the tensest moment of my life. These “scientists” had their weapons trained on us, and I knew they wouldn’t hesitate to kill any of us just to make a point. I was about to give myself so long as it meant my fellow down-and-outs would remain safe.
    “No takers?” the ringleader asked. “Fine. Cablejumper, scour them for prospects. And don’t take no for an answer.
    Cablejumper, the one with the claw-like hand, immediately leapt into the crowd and began to violently attack anyone he deemed “unfit to serve.” If he ran into one of us who could actually take him on in fight, he would simply call in his lackeys and they’d carry the poor soul away.
    “He wants to find the strongest of us,” I said to Rad grimly.
    “Well then why should we keep him waiting?” I remember him saying.
    Those were the last words I ever heard him speak. With a show of idiotic bravery, he marched up to Cablejumper, hands balled into fists, and began shouting out various profanities. Cablejumper, evidently, didn’t take kindly to this. He grabbed poor Rad by the neck with his claw hand and began squeezing. Harder. Harder. Harder.

“What are you doing?”
    “Oh, sorry, Cablejumper, I was just daydreaming I guess.
    “You better get to work, or the boss will get angry. Well, didn’t you hear me? Get going! What Mercury ever saw in you I’ll never know.”
    I never would’ve believed someone if they were to tell me that the person who murdered by best friend would end up being my coworker someday. I’d call them insane. To this day, I remember seething with hatred at the sight of this brute as he slowly choked Rad to death. I was so helpless though. I wanted to do something, but I wasn’t a fighter back then. If I had half the skills then as I do know, I know that Cablejumper would be dead right now and that Rad would be properly avenged.
    “That’s quite enough!” I remember hearing someone shout over the din of slaughter.
    Everyone stopped to look. Everyone. Cablejumper even stopped his rampage to see what was going on. The crowds parted, allowing a haggard looking old man to pass by. This was Scrounge. Everyone in my slum saw him as something of a father-or grandfather-figure. He walked with a limp, but he did so with pride and purpose. He stared the ringleader dead in the eye.
    “Why are you doing this to my slum, stranger?” he asked. “Have we done something to upset you? Who are you anyways?”
    “My name is Mercury, top scientist in the service of one called Clench. Perhaps you’ve heard of him?”
    “I have. Terrible ruffian. He runs the arena, does he not? What use does he have for a scientist?”
    “Blades and daggers just aren’t appealing to the public anymore,” he replied with a vicious smile. “Clench relies on me to make all sorts of wonderful new weapons for his gladiators to use.”
    “If it is all the same to you,” Scrounge replied with incredible stoicism, “I’d rather not let my friends become test subjects. Now be gone, all of you.”
    “Listen, elder one,” I can remember Cablejumper say as he dropped Rad’s body to the ground, “you don’t want us doing something violent to you, do you?”
    Scrounge calmly brushed past the claw-handed brute and walked straight up to Mercury. He extended his index finger in a way that said, “Get out of here now, or you will regret it.” Mercury stared the old one down. And then something caught his eye. I caught his eye.
    “You there,” he suddenly shouted. “What is your name?”
    “I am—“
    “You have no business with him. Now leave this place.”
    Mercury didn’t take kindly to taking orders from someone so old, so he grabbed poor Scrounge by the arms and put him into submission. Then he stared at me.
    “What is your name?” he asked again.
    “Let him go!” I pleaded.
    “What is your name?”
    In all honesty, I didn’t have a name at that time. I don’t remember ever having one. Whenever someone would address me, they’d say “Hey you!” or something to that effect. I remember ol’ Smokey giving me a nickname though. He called me Windy. I don’t remember why. He may have thought I spoke too much, that I was long winded. Or maybe it was because I was so swift and uncontrollable when we first meet. Maybe it was just the first name that popped into ol’ Smokey’s mind and it just stuck.
    “Windy,” I finally responded.
    “Tell you what, Windy, you seem to be a strong and competent fellow. What if I offered you a chance to get out of this disease and rust ridden town to work for me?”
    “What makes me so special that I get a choice? You seemed to have no problem taking the others away by force.”
    “They’re going to be lab rats, Windy,” Mercury said calmly, still holding Scrounge in submission. “I’m offering you a proposition. You work for me as my assistant, and I let the old one go.”
    “Not just him. If I go with you, you have to let everyone else go.”
    “Kid, don’t do this,” Blackjack had pleaded. “It’s not a safe bet. These guys, they’ll go back on their word!”
    “Come now,” Mercury butted in. “Would I do something like that? I’m offering you a deal here, and you best take it, because if you don’t I’ll kill the old one.”
    I remember looking deep into Scrounge’s eyes. They seemed to be pleaded the same case as Blackjack, yet his mouth said nothing.
    “Well, do we have a deal?”
    “I go, you leave everyone alone?”
    “Yes.”
    If I could just go back and stop myself, I would. I should’ve listened to Blackjack, because he was right. They took me away and at first I had thought that my friends were safe. I worked for them for quite some time, legally being property of Mercury and by extension Clench. I couldn’t leave even if I wanted to.
    Then I got the news. As it turns out, once I was legally bound to serve Mercury, he ordered Cablejumper to return to my slum and completely destroy everything. My slums were decimated, yet its inhabitants were kept alive. They had nothing. No food, no shelter, no money, nothing. When I found out that my friends were left desolate, I cussed Mercury out. He responded by slapping me and telling me to get back to work, and that was that.
    Over time, I became hardened. My conscience grew quieter and quieter within me as I was forced to commit horrible, horrible acts. It just became another part of my life. I belonged to Mercury as his slave. His personal attack dog. Whenever I tried to rebel, he put a collar around my neck and shocks me until I can’t bear it anymore. I’m trapped here, forced to live with the knowledge that I ruined the lives of my friends. Forced to work for someone who abuses me regularly. Forced to create lethal weapons that I know for a fact are used to end innocent lives. If only I could find some way out. Just…some way….

4. deltaprime

The Winds of Change
    part 3

Mercury urges me to keep working, says I should quit daydreaming. I still hate him with every fiber of my being, and I know I'll never be able to forgive him for what he did. Then again, I'm not sure if I'll even be able to forgive myself.

"The Override is almost finished!" I hear him say excitedly.

The Override is always almost finished. He is so wrapped up in this idea of dimension hoping that he's been neglecting the work Clench has been giving us. Even though I'm obligated to work for Mercury, I suppose Clench is ultimately the one I'm forced to answer to. I hate him, sure, but not nearly as much as Mercury. Both are murderous wretches, but Clench hasn't hurt me on a personal level. Not the way Mercury has at least.

"Pack your things!" I can hear Mercury announcing. "We're going to Pzz'azz!"

"What for?" Heatwave asks.

"Apparently There's a revolution going on there, and where there's a revolution, there's a new for weapons. Swindle's already on his way there, so we gotta hurry!"

"All right! You think we'll get to crack some skulls?"

"We'll see, Heatwave. We'll see. Wildwind, Cablejumper, go ready the ship!"

"Yes sir, but has this trip been approved by Clench?"

"Oh, what does it matter?"

"Sir, if we disobey Clench, he'll sick the you-know-whats on us."

"It will be a quick trip, you coward. Who knows? Maybe we'll make enough money to pay Clench off finally! Think of it, we could be free!"

Free. I could finally be free from my nightmare. Of course, I'd have to sell lethal weapons to common civilians first. Plenty of innocents will die in the process too. But then I'll be free. They may lose their lives, but I'll gain mine back.

"Come on, Wildwind. Let's start loading up," Cablejumper says flatly.

"Sure thing."

After all this time, I can finally go back home! To the slums. To the ones I left behind. To the ones I betrayed. Oh no.

5. deltaprime

And that concludes Winds of Change. I've decided to do each spotlight storyline in three parts. This next one will be titled "Speak softly."

6. deltaprime

Speak Softly
    Part 1

Uhh...I guess I gotta do a personal log on this since Ironhide told me too. Apparently it's part of my training, but I don't know how. He says doing these personal logs forces me to take notice of my surroundings and reflect on them or something, and I guess that makes sense. Anyways, nothing's really going on. I'm currently hiding inside a ship used by arms dealers who work for Clench. I would think that Clench would be the bigger target, considering the fact that he runs that Gladiatorial Arena and all. Ironhide keeps telling me that its just to big of a job for one guy to take on at once.

The problem is that the Arena is a breeding ground for Decepticons. The down-and-outs are always going there for a second chance. The weak ones die miserably, but the strong ones become corrupt. Clench takes the best gladiators and sends them to Megatron to be recruited into the Decepticon army.

The Arena attracts a big crowd, mostly because of the spectacular weapons that Mercury provides. That's why I'm here. Mercury is constantly supplying weapons to both the Decepticon army and to Clench's fighters. If he could be stopped and his technology confiscated, the Autobots would be much better off.

Now as soon as Mercury and the others leave, it's up to me to ransack this joint. I gotta destroy as much tech as possible. And then I booby trap the place. Right now, I just wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Oh scrap, Mercury and his cronies are boarding the ship! I gotta get out of here, and fast! Gahh, why am I still recording myself?! Uhhhh.....this is Roughrider, signing off!

7. deltaprime

Speak Softly
    Part 2

Uhh..okay, so the ship just landed on some planet called Pzz'azz. This....this isn't really going as planned. Perhaps I could hijack this thing and drive it back to Cybertron, but I don't see that happening. I've never even heard of this planet before! How in the Pit am I supposed to make it back home?

I guess I could sneak onboard and destroy everything, but Mercury would suspect something. A shipfull of weapons don't just break by accident. There's gotta be some way around th--

Hey, you!

Uh-oh.

No use hiding. I can see you.

Well, I guess that ends this personal log.

Personal log? What are you talking about? Get out here! Oh, Mercury'll have a fit!

Look, buddy, I don't want any trouble. I...uhh...

You what?

Let me get back to you on that.

You're an Autobot, aren't you?

Maybe.

I don't have time for games. What's your name?

What's it to you?

Ughh! That's it, you're coming with me.

I guess now is as good a time as any to do a personal log. So I got captured by this guy, Wildwind. Nice guy. He even volunteered to keep me company while I'm imprisoned on the ship's holding cell. He is currently staring me down very angrily and--

Must you do that?

Yes.

I don't think you understand the magnitude of the predicament you're i--

I don't think you understand who I am. I've gotten out of worse stuff than this before.

I still don't even know your name.

I still don't want to tell it to you.

Oh, Clench will certainly have a field day with you, Autobot. If you're trying my patience, I can only imagine the effect you'll have on him.

You know, you don't seem like the evil scientist type to me. I'll tell you what. I'll talk about me a little if you talk about you a little. Deal?

Why do you care to know more about me?

You fascinate me. I don't know.

Well, if you must know, I'm not working this job by choice. I have to do it, or....or....

Or what?

None of your business!

Oooh, I sense some angst.

*sigh* I used to live in slums, okay? I agreed to work for Mercury in exchange for the safety of my home and he went back on his word anyways and now I'm forced to work here and every day of my life is a living he-

Woah woah woah there! Take it easy! So you hate Mercury too, eh?

Yes....

Run away. Don't work for him anymore. In fact, you should let me free and help me destroy all of this stuff.

That's not going to happen. This is unfortunately my life now. If I were to leave, I'd have nowhere to go. My home was destroyed and my friends would kill me on sight.

Then don't be you. Get a different name. A different chassis. It can be like a fresh start!

It's not that easy, umm, oh. I still don't know your name.

I guess I gotta uphold my part of the bargain, eh? All right, the name's Roughrider. So you were saying?

Oh, yes. Well, Mercury made this device that can track down my spark. He made it in case I ever decided to run away. It doesn't matter where I go, Roughrider. He can hunt me down.

Wildwind left me after that. A friend of his with a claw for a hand ushered him away. I really hope I got through to him, because I meant what I said about a fresh start. Poor guy.

Okay, I'm hearing shots being fired outside the ship. I haven't been able to successfully escape yet, and I haven't seen even a glimpse of my new friend. Oh. How did that get there?

Right in front of me, just out of my reach of course, is the key to my holding cell. To bad I can't reach it. Maybe.....WOAH!

There was apparently a blast outside that was big enough to shake our entire ship. The key is now within my range. I'm gonna try to take it and.....oww! Slaggit, these bars are electrically charged!

Still no successful attempt at escaping. The firing has quieted down now, but I've still seen no sign of Wildwind. Maybe it's time I called in for backu--

Shh. Come with me.

Wildwind? What are you--

Don't ask questions, just come with me! And for goodness sake, turn your recorder off!

Okay, looks like I'm sprung! I hope. Wildwind really wants me to end my personal log now, so I probably should.

Primus I hope this isn't a trap.

8. Sunstorm202

Sunstorm202 TF2er

Looking good, nice to see you'll extend the Fan-Fic.

9. deltaprime

Yep, thanks for reading! These all technically take place before War Dawn Redux, but once I finish will all these new characters I plan on going back to Delta and Elita 1 which will take place after it.